Tire valve leaking, how to repair? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 04-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
dave...
Back Marker

Tire valve leaking, how to repair?

Sorry for the newb question but my tire valve is leaking at the tip (seems like it's not seating itself properly) at the valve core (not sure of the terminology, Shrader valve?). How can I repair this? Do I simply purchase an automotive tire vavle removal tool:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1772&ppt=N0639

Unscrew the valve core, remove, and screw in a new valve core? If so, what valve core will fit? Do I take it to any automotive store or is there a specific one I need?

OR, do I need to remove the front tire, unbead the tire and remove from the wheel, and replace the entire valve from within?
dave... is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
oldfart01
Gets a Red Sock from OG regularly

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000
Re: Tire valve leaking, how to repair?

Get whatever the cheapest tool is you can find. I have some free metal ones that came with a cap on one end & the tool on the other. The stems cores are standard, just release the air, screw the old one out, screw the new one in.
oldfart01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 600k2

You can replace or try to tighten the schrader valve. It should take a minute and I couldn't see a shop charging for it. They probably have a billion schrader valves on their tire machine. If it still leaks get a new valve stem. 90 degree ones are great.
600k2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
zinda
Rookie

Motorcycle: 05 gsxr 750 (track only)

Try just tightening the schrader valve first. If that doesn't work, then just put a new one in. They have a little o ring on them. If a new one doesn't do the trick, then you will need an entirely new valve stem which consist of dismounting the tire. While you're replacing the stem you might as well get some bolt on angled stems. Motomummy has the bridgeport angled stems for 17 shipped. It makes checking pressure on the front a whole lot easier.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=260&page=1

zinda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Graveyard
Rectally Assaulted on a Regular Basis

Motorcycle: 06 Gixxer 1000, 06 gixxer 600

You can go to any automotive store and get a stem removale tool and a shrader valve for under $5.
Graveyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
dave...
Back Marker

It was a $2 fix: buy valve core removal tool and tighten up the loose valve core. Thanks all!
dave... is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
oldfart01
Gets a Red Sock from OG regularly

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave... View Post
It was a $2 fix: buy valve core removal tool and tighten up the loose valve core. Thanks all!
If it loosens again, just replace it.
oldfart01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in