What is the best way to fix a puncture in a tire? - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 09-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #21
staticlag
Back Marker

Motorcycle: K3 blue/white 1000
Re: What is the best way to fix a puncture in a tire?

That sucks!!!

I had the exact same thing happen to me about 3 weeks ago. When to dinner with a friend on bikes, ended up with a screw in the front tire (on tires with 200 mi on them).

I've driven on a track with plugged car tires, would never do it on a motorcycle

Last edited by staticlag; 09-06-2010 at 12:39 PM.
staticlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #22
Darkshadow62988
Rookie

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 600

Buy a new tire and see if you can get road hazard for it(I've never seen it for motorcycle tires, but if it's out there, it's worth it, at least with my luck). Plugs and patches just don't work. This is coming from the guy who watched someone's tire slowly lose air while we were on the road.
Darkshadow62988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
Wag
Constantly in trouble now

Motorcycle: '06 Gixxer 1000, Hayabusa

First choice, get a new tire. If that's not feasible and you need to repair the tire, remember to really REALLY take it easy on that repaired tire.

In any case, I wouldn't repair a front tire, only a rear.

Whatever you do to repair a motorcycle tire is strictly at your own risk. Read on if you like.

If the puncture is more than an inch or two from the centerline OR if it is in a groove, then the only way you can possibly repair it effectively for the remaining life of the tire is with what is called a mushroom plug from the inside.

If it's in the meat of the rubber and close to the centerline, then you can plug it with a string plug. Once it has vulcanized properly, then it should be good to go but replace it somewhat early or it will let go when the tread starts to wear thin. In other words, it's not going to last as long as an uninjured tire will last.

Let us know what you decide to do.

--Wag--
Old 09-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #24
a.leopard
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cainyboy

Motorcycle: zixxer 1k '06, k7 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wag View Post
First choice, get a new tire.
That's feasible. But I have to wait 2-3 weeks and pay about $100 for shipping for one tire. I'm thinking about buying a new set of tires with similar profile (I really liked Power Pures 120/70 + 190/55. awesome grip) and compound. Don't know what to choose. Do BR-003 racing street or Dunlop Q2 have such profile as pures have?

Quote:
If that's not feasible and you need to repair the tire, remember to really REALLY take it easy on that repaired tire.

In any case, I wouldn't repair a front tire, only a rear.

Whatever you do to repair a motorcycle tire is strictly at your own risk. Read on if you like.

If the puncture is more than an inch or two from the centerline OR if it is in a groove, then the only way you can possibly repair it effectively for the remaining life of the tire is with what is called a mushroom plug from the inside.

If it's in the meat of the rubber and close to the centerline, then you can plug it with a string plug. Once it has vulcanized properly, then it should be good to go but replace it somewhat early or it will let go when the tread starts to wear thin. In other words, it's not going to last as long as an uninjured tire will last.

Let us know what you decide to do.

--Wag--
The puncture is about 1˝ inches from the center line and not in the groove.

Basically I have the following options:
1) use a string-like plug
2) use a mushroom like patch/plug

The 1st one is the best. Am I right? Honestly I thought that it's possible to fix a tire using plain patch on the inside surface. Damn michelin's, that doesn't work on Power Pures :\

Right now there is a 2"x3" patch on the inside and still air is leaking slowly. I'm going to check the pressure drop over night and possibly I'll have 3rd variant:

3) Do nothing if the pressure drop is less then 1/2 psi / day. Just inflate it regulary.

A friend of mine suggested a good repair shop. Will ride there and see what they can do.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #25
Samantha750

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM

I've used many string-type plugs in 22 years of riding without issues. Never had a failure due to a tire being plugged but no, I don't ride track but spirited street riding. Each to their own but sometimes, buying a new tire is just not an option.

It's easy to play care-free with other peoples money. Do what you feel is best and not what random strangers say you should do but then, I've never felt the urge to check with anyone before plugging my tires. I keep an eye on the plug and tire pressure and if all is good, then go with it.

Download your free service manual- http://www.servicemanualsgsxr.com/
Samantha750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #26
easter bunny
Superbike Racer

Location: littlest biggest city in the west. (is that right?)
Motorcycle: kawazuki CB-R1

I'm wit Sam.

Can I call you Sam?

How you doin'?

OP, Put a plug in your rear and it'll all be good!
easter bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #27
Samantha750

Sam, Sammie, Samantha, it's all good. My friends call me Sam (if I had friends that is)

To the OP, try to find plugs that vulcanize if you can. The heat causes them to bond with the tire although I have run vulcanizing and non-vulcanizing.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #28
Wag

Pretty much what Samantha says. Personally, I have no problem whatsoever using the string type plugs.

--Wag--
Wag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #29
a.leopard

Quote:
Pretty much what Samantha says. Personally, I have no problem whatsoever using the string type plugs.
I got a wire/string-like plug installed. Finally that fixed the leak.

Hope it wont come off and will last at least for few weeks until I replace it.
a.leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #30
Samantha750

Make sure to cut it as close to the tire as you can. You don't want a rats tail sticking out of the tire.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #31
a.leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaSchou View Post
Make sure to cut it as close to the tire as you can.
Did that
a.leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #32
Jd4oor
I Heart Man Sauce

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R 1000 2007 GSX-R 600

Personally, I'd replace the tire. As long as you make it clear that the tire needs a patch I don't see any problem with selling it.

Ride safe and have fun.
Jd4oor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #33
Samantha750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd4oor View Post
Personally, I'd replace the tire. As long as you make it clear that the tire needs a patch I don't see any problem with selling it.

Ride safe and have fun.

So he should replace the tire but it's OK for him to sell it to someone else to use, how does that make sense? Either patch/plug it or discard it then. Passing it on to someone else makes no sense but neither does tossing a good tire.

Whoever he "gives" the tire to will charge him a discard fee, plug/patch the tire and sell it, making money on it twice so good deal for them. Tell you what, I will pay the shipping on the tire AND I wont charge you a discard fee for a good tire with a nail it. You get rid of that dangerous tire for free, sound good?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:14 AM   #34
lucifer_gsxf
Love the Twins

Motorcycle: k7 SV1S

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkatana View Post
I carry one of these on the gixxer and the wing but have never used it... It has some good reviews though... http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

I also have a bottle of this stuff on the wing just in case... http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp

I have the standard model of the Stop N Go plug kit under my seat right now. I've used it to plug everything from a motorcycle tire to a truck tire to a lawn mower tire to 4 wheeler tires. Never once had a problem. When your taking 2,000 mile bike trips, you gotta have something.
lucifer_gsxf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:58 AM   #35
Samantha750

I carry this one as well, better safe then sorry. I had someone tell me it was a waste of time as the co2's wouldn't totally inflate the tire and are difficult to come by Being stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat is much better then being able to limp to a gas station air pump.

CO2 cartridges can be bought almost everywhere and you can always carry more then the standard 3 the kit comes with. I keep mine in the trunk as I have gotten a flat while riding before. I just don't get some people, I really don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1001-08.jpg (30.1 KB, 54 views)

Old 09-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #36
Spitz04
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K7 1000

I'd insist on just a patch from the inside, with the mushroom plugs your going to have to drill and even bigger hole where the damage is to dress the area and you're doing just that, making a bigger hole for something to go wrong.
Spitz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #37
TheGeek
Stupid. Who's with me?

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & Million Edition 1000

My rule of thumb... don't repair a tire that needs a plug. Small holes from small nails, wires, industrial staples, etc. can be patched. With things this small, there is no significant damage to the tire's structure. But only if it's not in or close to the sidewall of the tire.

When I repair a tire, I use a flat rubber patch from the inside. Apply it according to the instructions.

I've got around 5000 miles on my Michelin 2CT rear. I put a patch on it after about 200 miles. I even put 2 trackdays on it. No signs of stress.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" - Diemon Dave
TheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #38
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaSchou View Post
Whoever he "gives" the tire to will charge him a discard fee, plug/patch the tire and sell it, making money on it twice so good deal for them. Tell you what, I will pay the shipping on the tire AND I wont charge you a discard fee for a good tire with a nail it. You get rid of that dangerous tire for free, sound good?
If I could inspect the tire first, I probably wouldn't hesitate to use a tire if I knew I could plug or patch it. Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
My rule of thumb... don't repair a tire that needs a plug. Small holes from small nails, wires, industrial staples, etc. can be patched. With things this small, there is no significant damage to the tire's structure. But only if it's not in or close to the sidewall of the tire.

When I repair a tire, I use a flat rubber patch from the inside. Apply it according to the instructions.

I've got around 5000 miles on my Michelin 2CT rear. I put a patch on it after about 200 miles. I even put 2 trackdays on it. No signs of stress.
I wouldn't patch from the inside, I would only use a mushroom plug. Or plug and patch together. But as you say, no matter what, you can't use a patch from the inside if it's too close to the outer edge of the tire. Just won't work.

The string plugs I've used to date have worked fine.

Doing a track day, though. I dunno. Sounds pretty risky.

--Wag--
Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #39
TheGeek
Stupid. Who's with me?

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & Million Edition 1000

Basicly it works like this. Is the hole just an air leak, or damage to the tire?
TheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #40
Adsuzukiboy34
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1996 Gixxer 750 + K4 1000

I've had a rear repaired with a plug before.
I rode for the rest of the tyre's life on the street with no problems.
I'd be very wary of track riding due to the higher temperatures involved.
My 2c worth...
Cheers, Ad
Adsuzukiboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement