Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Worth it or not mods...

7K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  chrisOH 
#1 ·
Below is a list of mods im considering. Let me know what you guys think. Ive been hearing that certain mods are pointless or even sometimes hinder performance.

Worth it or not?

Velocity stacks
r1/r6 throttle tube
k&n / bmc filter
power commander
gearing
Levers (are they really worth that much money)
How good is the clutch mod ( mine does seem to shudder at take off sometimes)

right now my bike has a hotbodies megaphone, hid lights, fender eliminator and thats it.

#2 ·
The quick throttle tube would be worth doing.

Otherwise how much hp do you actually need for what you are doing with the bike? Street use? Trackdays? Drag racing?

If it is for street use and/or trackdays then throwing some money at the suspension rather than after a few more hp would probably make a big difference to the bike.

#3 ·
Just street use. That thottle is annoying. I was also thinking better grips, maybe better seat. go for a little more comfort. Thats kind of what I was getting at. You spend pretty good money to get a couple extra horsepower that wont get used that much.

But I was wanting something like the power commander because I would want it to be tuned and run at tip top shape you know

#5 ·
I couldn't imagine how annoying a hotbodies megaphone would be, go back to stock IMO. Sell the hotbodies, do the clutch mod and like what has been previously stated, suspension service and tune.

I also recommend aftermarket pads and stainless steel brake lines.

FWIW I really love my levers and rearsets as well. :cheers

#8 ·
lol yea. umm my bike has 6900 miles on it. And I love the megaphone

#9 ·
Here is a tip,loud exhaust and speeding do no mix well together. Like having a built in GPS for police to follow you etc...know it might sound cool but the attention it draws is not always the best.
Mods to do
1) good set of brake pads
2) good set of tires
3) set up suspension

#10 ·
I don't speed that much. I might accelarate quickly to the speed limit and then coast. Sometimes ill punch it for a short burst of speed and then back to the speed limit. I also like that cars can hear me.

It has pirelli tires that are in good shape. I'm sure the pads are stock. Now when u say set up suspension? I'm 6 ft 3 210 lbs if that matters

#11 ·
Velocity stacks
No

r1/r6 throttle tube
Yes

k&n / bmc filter
Not really, but if you have money laying around to kill, whatever.

power commander
If you're gonna do exhaust and air filter, maybe.

yes

Levers (are they really worth that much money)
I love my ASV shorties. Not necessary, though. Another thing if you've got money laying around

How good is the clutch mod ( mine does seem to shudder at take off sometimes)
:dunno

hid lights
Gay.

#18 ·
i am truly speechless. I hope you realize how ignorant this post is. First I never said I was looking for more power. I posted a list of mods that I have heard of people doing and was wondering if they were worth it. And I guess going the speed limit is pointless. Whats pointless is using every last drop of the hp you have on the street. No one does that. There are a lot of cars / bikes on the road who obey the laws(for the most part) which have a lot of mods and upgrades. :suicide

#14 ·
hello peeps im new to this forum and it wont let me start a thread, so ive kind of hijacked this one, but it is reletive to one of my questions. im thinking of trading in my old zx9 for a gsxr 1000 k3 but ive heard some horror stories about failing gearboxs (6th gear} and fault codes coming up on a regular basis, and what mods would you think are worth having ie power comanders TREs ect, any advice would be helpfull, thanks.

#20 · (Edited)
Below is a list of mods im considering. Let me know what you guys think. Ive been hearing that certain mods are pointless or even sometimes hinder performance.

Worth it or not?

Velocity stacks - not worth it
r1/r6 throttle tube - worth it
k&n / bmc filter - not worth it
power commander - worth it if you have an aftermarket exhaust installed
gearing - worth it, but just wait until your chain or sprockets are worn and you'll have to replace them anyway
Levers (are they really worth that much money) - not worth it
How good is the clutch mod ( mine does seem to shudder at take off sometimes) - definately worth it, its cheap anyway.

right now my bike has a hotbodies megaphone, hid lights, fender eliminator and thats it.

:shifty :shifty :shifty

You're a 21 year old riding a 1000 as your first bike. The only things that are worth it for you right now are safety gear and improving your skillset. All the money you would have wasted on the things I put up there as "not worth it", you can take you and your bike to Road Atlanta for a trackday and learn how to ride that thing properly.

#21 ·
Thanks for the advice and for being constructive and not a douche. I may get the commander later. I do have a hotbodies megaphone. It is a slip on though. And it is straight pipe leading up to that. And yes I just bought a better helmet Scorpion exo 1000. Im looking at some jackets and gloves now. And that would be fun as hell to do a trackday

#25 ·
Just remember....."respect for the bike" is not what keeps you from crashing. You can have all the respect in the world for the bike, but when you do something accidentally and the bike reacts in a way that your skillset doesn't know how to respond to.......that's what ends you up on your head.

#28 · (Edited)
Agreed

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the "street bikes are easy to ride" attitude. I've been riding sport quads since I could walk and I'll tell you right now, riding a quad to it's limits and riding a hyper sport bike to it's limits are not even close to comparable. As has been been said, buy your gear before you spend money on mods for your bike and WEAR IT. You claim you are not a stereotypical 21 year old, but you won't find one that will say they are. Take the advice from the people here who are older and wiser then you.
Im not saying they are easy to ride. But I do have some experience with things of the like. And I dont plan on riding anything I own to its limits. I am going to buy some gear soon btw. And I dont claim just to claim. I know im not the sterotypical 21 year old. I know by my actions in school and the way I carry myself. Because other people around me and fellow peers let me know this as well. It is definitely apparent if you knew me in person. But thats the thing, you more than likely never will so I guess most people just assume every 21 year old is practically retarded. And Im always looking for constructive advice. I just get tired of the .... "sell the bike and go to a 250 fist..." I can see insinuating that "hey that a lot of bike you shouldve gotten maybe a 600 first but if not just make sure you do this and this and not this...." Im fine with that. But the remarks from 30+ year olds that resemble that of a teen.... :bitchslap

Also by the mere fact that I pay for everything I own should delineate the fact that im not a stereotypical 21 year old. I paid cash for the thing. I have pretty good credit for my age. I have a 2k credit card and a 6500 credit card both at 11% interest. If you ask me.... that is far above what most 21 year olds have. So yea Im not claiming anything I dont have.

but yea im always willing to accept advice.:cheers

Being sarcastic is just apart of my humor....I am a old facker who does not judge another person by their age but what they know,there is always knowledge to be gain long as you are willing to listen.
Good to know because that is true. I cant stand it when im thrown in the bucket with all of the other dumbshits. But yes Im always willing to listen. In my eyes. Speaking begins with listening.

#30 ·
+10 lol Yea I feel you. I know where they are coming from though and I respect it. :punk:burnout

#31 ·

Worth it or not?

Velocity stacks NO
r1/r6 throttle tube YES
k&n / bmc filter YES
power commander YES
gearing YES
Levers (are they really worth that much money) YES
How good is the clutch mod ( mine does seem to shudder at take off sometimes) NO

Hope that helps.

#32 ·
You really love yourself dont you? Im sure all the information given here was needed :wacko

I bought gear way before i started modding my bike. A good helmet is nice, but you dont even have gloves? Or a jacket? If you have that much money to spend on these mods you should already have a GOOD set of riding gear (helmet,gloves,jacket,BOOTS). You just told everyone here that you ride around on a newer 1000 wearing only a helmet and your asking for opinions... telling us how mature you are :dissapointed

#33 ·
Thanks for being a douche. Now do yourself a favor :suicide

#36 ·
mate - a quick action throttle on a 1000 requires a deft touch too not get in trouble...think twice about chnging over the R6 tube. If your coming out of a corner with your knee on the deck, you need to graduate the power in percents...it's a little too easy if you ask me to "over" graduate and taste tar with a QA throttle...
Si

#37 ·
I see what your saying. Yea im going to ride for a while until I do anything else to the bike. Im getting my gear now. Just got an exo 1000 helmet. And Im about to order a icon jacket(textile for now) alpinestars s1 gloves, and a Tougher back brace that fits into my jacket. Which is a icon contra. And then when I get up some more money I will be getting a leather

#45 ·
I just spent 200 on a Scorpion Exo 1000 helmet, 135 on a pair of sartso Kevlar jeans, 200 on icon jacket(textile), 100 on a icon speedfreak back protector to go in the jacket, 150 on a set of alpinestar s1 gloves. I will get a leather jacket a little later

I like to add stuff to my bike regardless of if it adds horsepower, or gives it a better look. I enjoy adding things because I love to have an excuse to work on my bike, not just to add some extra HP to get that .0010 of a second gain at the track!1!11!! These bikes are a lot more then what just benefits you at the track ya know.

If you just want stuff that is going to provide results on the butt dyno then exhaust/filter/PC/gear changes is what you want to shoot for.

Other then that it's pretty much all having it just to have it.

I've dumped tons of money in my bike and tons of it is probably a waste, but I enjoy doing it, so that's what I do.
Well said.

#44 · (Edited)
I like to add stuff to my bike regardless of if it adds horsepower, or gives it a better look. I enjoy adding things because I love to have an excuse to work on my bike, not just to add some extra HP to get that .0010 of a second gain at the track!1!11!! These bikes are a lot more then what just benefits you at the track ya know.

If you just want stuff that is going to provide results on the butt dyno then exhaust/filter/PC/gear changes is what you want to shoot for.

Other then that it's pretty much all having it just to have it.

I've dumped tons of money in my bike and tons of it is probably a waste, but I enjoy doing it, so that's what I do.

#46 ·
I know I'm a little late for my .02 cents but if I had it all to do again I would have listened to everyone who has said suspension...i have had an '03, '05 and I still have my '07 1000...i have rode since 2000... I in no way am saying I can come close to knowing everything there is to know....i am constantly learning...but I would definately agree to just ride and learn the bike....emergency stopping, emergency swerving...this is no way a safety rant because I admit the only time I do the speed limit is that split second when the speedometer skips over it......i have been on rides with people who think they are "hot shit" doing wheelies on the highway and lost it..his pbike slid across two lanes and struck the bike of one of my friends (an excellent stunter btw) who was cruising. This resulted in a severed spine...so gear would be up there....
Personally I feel I have what I would consider great throttle control.. So after a couple of weeks of deliberation I talked myself into doing the r6 throttle tube... At first I was worried cause everyone was sayin "oh too sensitive this and that"...but much to my surprise the throttle was extremely crisp and very much controlabe. nothing close to what everyone else was saying.. I feel this is how the bike should have been produced..
You say you are good to go on your gear so in my humble opinion I would recomend the following in no particular order..my personal top 10

1. Get suspension dialed in
2. Braided break lines.
3. R6 throttle tube.
4. Get some GOOD tires (which you may already have)
5. Get some wheels (Marchesini, Carrozzeria, Galespeed, etc)
6. comfortable grips
7. You can upgrade your rotors (i have warped the stock ones. Lol)
8. Get an exhaust (which,you may already have/like)
9. Levers (NOT a must...stockers are cheaper to replace but if you have the dough...why not)
10. Get a better windscreen (in my opinion the stock one sucks)

Everyone dumps stock exhaust thats why I put it up there.. But if you exclude that mod, none of the others are "power adders" but will greatly improve your machines performace and handling..as well as comfort...if you adjust the suspension to handle the road better, it will be more co,fortable for your cruising and bumps in the road won effect the R6 tube if you are worried about sensitivity..Wheels are about the best mod for the money (although some may disagree)...your bike WILL stop quicker and the brake lines will only help...your bike WILL accelerate quicker.. It WILL corner better. Proper suspension setup will enhance this even further...Your bike will be lighter..this is why I believe wheels are a great investment...Quicker, lighter, more nimble... Like I said I am no expert but these mods will keep u busy for a while and I believe are money well spent...

#51 ·
I put over 40k on an03 1k and it was bullet proof, absolutely no issues except for an f1 code which was the c46 error code which was for the exhaust control valve actuator for the set valve in the exhaust. I just removed the set valve which doesnt really do anything anyway

#52 ·
Yea I love the r6 throttle tube it is amazing. Also thanks for the comments guys. I know the bike is super fast but the mods I will do wont make it that much faster. I have a list of my mods in my sig below. Also I just bought a driven 520 chain kit with -1 front sprocket for even faster acceleration and wheelies. Ive put 1000 miles on my bike in a month btw. Ive had a couple close calls but nothing major and only 1 being because of my stupidity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.