Tried EVERYTHING to eliminate handlebar vibration...still vibrates!! : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 06-07 GSX-R600/750

Old 10-12-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
Skyline350GT
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2007 gsxr
Thumbs down Tried EVERYTHING to eliminate handlebar vibration...still vibrates!!

Its a 06 GSXR 600 with 20K miles and I have tried everything to cease vibrations. Years of improper computer use position, wrist injuries, have lead to some bad wrists. Im recovering from carpal tunnel, tendonitis in both wrists, and tennis elbow, so I just cant "deal with it".

-Ive tried R&G weighted bar ends, did nothing
-Stepped it up to Motovation heavy bar ends, still nothing
-Swapped grips for Pro grips, driven grips, still nothing
-My legs support my body, I have stompgrips, I keep my elbows and forearms tucked underneath the tank with minimal weight on the handlebars except for throttle control.

-Its to the point where my wrist pain is distracting me from riding at 100%. And when you're not 100% you shouldn't ride. Is every GSXR like this or is it just my bike?

2004 Infiniti G35
2006 Suzuki GSX-R600
Skyline350GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
bikedude135
Rookie

Motorcycle: 07 gix 600, 08 z1000
Re: Tried EVERYTHING to eliminate handlebar vibration...still vibrates!!

i really doubt anythings wrong with your bike. i used to have numb hand issues til i relaxed my grip. when cruising or on a straight, i simply rest my hands on the bars losely curled around the grips. even when cornering, it should be more of an open-palm push on the inside bar than a grab-and-hang-on situation. a loose grip will do wonders for your riding, but it sounds like you've heard this before.

try a pair of thick winter gloves with a full gauntlet. my cortec scarab pair has so much insulation that i feel a distinct lack of vibration compared to my race gloves, though at the expense of dexterity of course. you'll be sweaty in tx, but hey.

lastly, you can get clip-ons that raise the bars an inch, taking some weight off your wrists. or even bars that mount above the triple clamp like on stunt bikes.
bikedude135 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
alpo
Back Marker

Motorcycle: K6 600

If you're getting vibration through the bars you need to identify the source. There are lots of things that could cause vibration. Is the engine causing it? Tires? Drivetrain alignment?

Sometimes something as simple as fresh plugs or throttle synch will make engine vibration go away. Sometimes the engine needs to be aligned in the frame.

On other bikes people have filled the bars with lead shot/bar snakes to minimize vibration they can't otherwise cure.

+1 on relaxing your grip on the controls. I ride with just enough pressure from my right hand to operate the throttle, no more. The left hand just sits on the grip.

The sportbike riding position does put more weight on your wrists. I've seen where people have replace the upper triple clamp with one that will allow for more conventional handlebars, thus a more upright riding position. Perhaps this would be an option for you.
alpo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

if it's normal vibrations or you're just sensitive to it then you can also fill the bars with weight material or a material to absorb the vibrations. that's probably the best way to eliminate vibrations, but first make sure it's not something abnormal.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
AndrewM
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 06 750

Yeah like Corey said you could get some material to fill the clip-ons with to try and reduce vibration, if all else fails you could always try the Heli-bars or something like that
AndrewM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
TLR67
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2009 GSX-R 1000

Loosen your grip..... You should grip your clip ons no harder than if you were shaking a babys hand.... If you think your GSX-R Has vibration... You would crap your pants on a TLR...
TLR67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Nicegy525
Rookie

Motorcycle: '07 750 BLU/BLK

If all else fails you can use a throttle assist. Its a little paddle that warps around the throttle grip so you can push on that instead of gripping the throttle. might help to ease up your grip
Nicegy525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
1qwik6
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 07 600 track bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpo View Post
On other bikes people have filled the bars with lead shot/bar snakes to minimize vibration they can't otherwise cure.
Do not do this on a track bike! All I need is someone to wreck in front of me, snap a clip on and spread BB's all around...even when mixed with silicon that shit still get everywhere.
1qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
TheCunningMan
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 750k6

What gloves are you wearing?
TheCunningMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Countryboy
WSB Champ

Motorcycle: your mama

remove clip ons. melt lead weights used for fishing. Pour into flip on. proceed
Countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
alpo
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qwik6 View Post
Do not do this on a track bike! All I need is someone to wreck in front of me, snap a clip on and spread BB's all around...even when mixed with silicon that shit still get everywhere.
Of course not! If vibrations are bothering you on a track bike there's something wrong that needs tending to.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
Skyline350GT
Back Marker

-I have 2 pairs of gloves. A generic thick leather set and my Teknic Speedstars. The palm of the speedstars are a little thin as theyre kangeroo skin, but even with my other thick leather gloves I still get pain.

-The bike is due a valve adjustment. Perhaps the engine is causing a little excessive vibratiion because of this. I just replaced the plugs recently, Ill try a throttle sync.

-I have a very relaxed grip, but my wrists are just THAT sensitive. I can hardly hold a power drill, a pressure washer, unfortantely its THAT bad.

-And I've tried the BB thing. No luck. I used some pretty heavy steel BBs from walmart. And Ive never used lead weights for fishing could you elaborate a little more?

2004 Infiniti G35
2006 Suzuki GSX-R600
Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
cnyncrvr
Rookie

Motorcycle: 06 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline350GT View Post
Its a 06 GSXR 600 with 20K miles and I have tried everything to cease vibrations. Years of improper computer use position, wrist injuries, have lead to some bad wrists. Im recovering from carpal tunnel, tendonitis in both wrists, and tennis elbow, so I just cant "deal with it".

-Ive tried R&G weighted bar ends, did nothing
-Stepped it up to Motovation heavy bar ends, still nothing
-Swapped grips for Pro grips, driven grips, still nothing
-My legs support my body, I have stompgrips, I keep my elbows and forearms tucked underneath the tank with minimal weight on the handlebars except for throttle control.

-Its to the point where my wrist pain is distracting me from riding at 100%. And when you're not 100% you shouldn't ride. Is every GSXR like this or is it just my bike?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Yeah like Corey said you could get some material to fill the clip-ons with to try and reduce vibration, if all else fails you could always try the Heli-bars or something like that

It's all in the ergonomics for you and has nothing to do with the bar ends and weights. Like Andrew says, get the Heli bars. It will put your wrists in a more relaxed position taking the strain of the carpals by raising the bar up and out a bit.
cnyncrvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
boloson
Rookie

assuming that the bike is in normal operational form then i would try some thicker padded/ gel gloves before u go & buy heli bars. i've also seen people used dr. schol's (sp?) gel inserts to wrap around the grips as an added padding. i assume u rehab the hell out of your wrists? if not then physical training is the best thing for u to prevent further pain
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #15
masszx14
Rookie

Motorcycle: street zx14 and a track 750

You might have a bad tire! Even a low mileage front tire could create vibrations.
masszx14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
Skyline350GT
Back Marker

I have military health insurance which is weaksauce. Ive been trying to get refferred to a therapist or something but all they have given me is a fucking splint and some Ibuprofen. Im doing exercises everyday I found on the internet but I would really like to see an actual therapist
Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
SallyCinnamon
Novice

Motorcycle: GSX-R 600 K6

release your grip. easiest way to do it is to start riding with two fingers on the clutch and brake levers. it will be uncomfortable at first but when u get use to it you'll feel big difference. Plus you're always 0,5s faster at braking
SallyCinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #18
1qwik6
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 07 600 track bitch

Did you try angling your levers down some? (To help with wrist pain)
1qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
alpo
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline350GT View Post
-I have a very relaxed grip, but my wrists are just THAT sensitive. I can hardly hold a power drill, a pressure washer, unfortantely its THAT bad.
Unfortunately you're going to have to make some significant changes: either Heli bars, a new top triple that will let you use standard bars, or a bike with a more upright riding position. Based on your description Heli bars may not do it for you.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #20
Dream of Flight
Blithering Idiot

Motorcycle: '06 50th Anniversary Edition R6

I don't have the time to read all the replies, but you should check your brake discs. I know that after I hit a guard rail my left disc was slightly bent and made the bars vibrate a little. After I replaced it, the bars never shook again. Try checking to see if they're straight.
Dream of Flight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in