Chain adjustment : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 08-10 GSX-R600/750

Old 09-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Monochrome
Squid

Chain adjustment

Hey quick question,

I want to adjust my chain and after adjusting the chain to 30mm slack, the chain tightens when I torque the axle nut back on.

So is it normal for the chain to get tighter after putting the axle nut on?

thx in advance.
Monochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
F. Richard Head
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750
Re: Chain adjustment

Yes.

When you torque the axle nut, you're pinching the swingarm onto the axle spacers. This narrows it slightly and moves the wheel back ever so slightly.

You need to compensate for that in your initial adjustment such that you get the specified slack after the nut is torqued. It can take some trial and error.
F. Richard Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Speedin4fun
Supersport Racer

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R 600

Set the slack where u need it with the adjuster screws...Then take a small wrench (or any other small tool) and put it in one of the teeth in the sprocket spin the wheel so its wedged in the chain (carefully) and tighten axle nut. When axle is tight spin the wheel to free the tool and whallah propper slack. It works and if done carefully it does not damage the sprocket or chain..
Speedin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
Monochrome
Squid

O thanks Richard head
Old 09-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
Monochrome
Squid

haha yea I just foud the video that showed that. I gotta get a freaking bike stand it would be much easier
Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

Easy way is to flip the axle so the nut is on the right side of the bike. then you when you tighten it you press into the adjusters and not away makes the job much easier...
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Driving_Miss_Daisy
Moose Knuckle Racing!

Motorcycle: GSXR750k8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMummy View Post
Easy way is to flip the axle so the nut is on the right side of the bike. then you when you tighten it you press into the adjusters and not away makes the job much easier...
Damn great idea. I am going to do that next time I clean my chain.
Driving_Miss_Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:09 AM   #8
Chugs
Lets go racing!

Quote:
+1000 on flipping axle
Chugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
mz3onturn7
Novice

Motorcycle: 08 gsxr 600

I have spent some time experimenting with the chain and the adjustments. I found the same problem with the axle nut but it can be worked around using the methods above. I also found that measuring the chain slack is not exact. 20mm – 30mm is not a large tolerance to work with. The chain has some stretch to it and depending on how hard you push it upwards you may have a difficult time getting an exact measurement.

I spent about 3hrs. Playing with it, using a measuring tape to find the centre of the chain and a measuring square to measure the chain slack at different points on the chain.

I got everything square and even, torqued to spec with approximately 20mm slack on the chain at the tightest point. I would have liked it to be a little looser but that was the best I could do while squaring the axle sliders symmetrically.

I did find that with the chain a bit tighter the shift from neutral to first while stopped does not clunk as hard.
mz3onturn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Mugen
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz3onturn7 View Post
I have spent some time experimenting with the chain and the adjustments. I found the same problem with the axle nut but it can be worked around using the methods above. I also found that measuring the chain slack is not exact. 20mm – 30mm is not a large tolerance to work with. The chain has some stretch to it and depending on how hard you push it upwards you may have a difficult time getting an exact measurement.

I spent about 3hrs. Playing with it, using a measuring tape to find the centre of the chain and a measuring square to measure the chain slack at different points on the chain.

I got everything square and even, torqued to spec with approximately 20mm slack on the chain at the tightest point. I would have liked it to be a little looser but that was the best I could do while squaring the axle sliders symmetrically.

I did find that with the chain a bit tighter the shift from neutral to first while stopped does not clunk as hard.
To my mind 20 mm of slack is not enough.
Take in to consideration that you haven't added yours and gear weight. I saw some video and a mechanic said that it's better to be a tad on the loose side than tight.
Mugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

anywhere in the oem specs and you should be fine. I try to put mine on the looser side of that, but still in oem specs. unless you change your suspension, swingarm, etc then things change and the oem specs may not be correct for your application any longer. Just something to remember.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
grtfast
Moderately Unmoderated

Motorcycle: '08 gsxr 600 / '07 BBR 212 / RM100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedin4fun View Post
Set the slack where u need it with the adjuster screws...Then take a small wrench (or any other small tool) and put it in one of the teeth in the sprocket spin the wheel so its wedged in the chain (carefully) and tighten axle nut. When axle is tight spin the wheel to free the tool and whallah propper slack. It works and if done carefully it does not damage the sprocket or chain..
that is putting stress on the countershaft bearing.... you can do the procedure correctly without ever having to do that.

grtfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
grtfast
Moderately Unmoderated

Motorcycle: '08 gsxr 600 / '07 BBR 212 / RM100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
To my mind 20 mm of slack is not enough.
Take in to consideration that you haven't added yours and gear weight. I saw some video and a mechanic said that it's better to be a tad on the loose side than tight.
correct.

a tad on the loose side may produce some "slap" noise, and slightly faster sprocket wear, but to tight can cause bearing damage, and also cause accelerated chain stretch from excessive heat.
grtfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 AM   #14
Dencho
Rookie

Motorcycle: 1998 GSX-R 750 SRAD (SOLD)

^ +1000 Never over tighten the chain. Thats a big

Last edited by Dencho; 10-15-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Dencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #15
08 GSX-R750
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2008 GSX-R750, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14

make sure you also double check the wheel alignment notches on both sides because while you retightening the wheel sometimes have the tendency to get cocked a little sideways.
08 GSX-R750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #16
iuhutch
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2009 Suzuki GSXR 1000

Quote:
Dis is what I did

Also, use a torque wrench and tighten ever so lightly.
iuhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
donlycan
Novice

Sheer brilliance, flipping the axle!!
donlycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement