Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

SS Motor Build Pro's/Con's

9K views 52 replies 10 participants last post by  !ThatGuy! 
#1 ·
This is especially for all you racers and trackaddicts as well as shops out there:

I am curious as to what the pro's and con's are to a SuperSport Engine Build? I am mainly talking in terms of reliability, HP gains, mapping, frquency of refreshes, cost of repair, cost in general, etc, etc. Just throw out what the Pro's and Con's are.

I am looking at buying a bike that has a supersport build by Markbilt, but would like to know if itd be worth it. I will be racing as well as attending many trackdays. My main concern is if it will be able to go a full race season + trackdays without a refresh. Here is what is in the build im looking at:

(per the guy im commincating w/ about his bike):

This was a super sport build which is typically the following.
Remove cylinder head
Measure squish (piston to head clearance)
Clean combustion chamber
Disassemble cylinder head
Inspect/prep valves
Inspect valve seats
Check valve spring pressures
Set cam journal clearance
Machine gasket surface
Clean/prep piston crowns and cylinder deck surface
Reassemble head and install
Slot cam sprockets or install cam adaptors
Check and adjust valve clearances to spec
Degree cams to spec
Install racing spark plugs

Any and all advice welcome. If im being an idiot considering a bike like this for trackdays AND racing on a budget PLEASE tell me. haha :cheers
It just seemed like a pretty good deal( '06GSXR w/ alot of goodies and a ss motor for under $5k)

See less See more
#45 ·
What make of keyless ignition is it, do you know? Since my bike will be parked inside all the time and I am getting a new machine for the road, I'd like to rid it of all the unnecessary electrical components and key.

Also, I want to send my forks away to be redone and fitted with better springs, what is the shipping on something that big? There is no one within reasonable distance to me that can do this stuff.

#47 ·
no idea what type of keyless ignition. Ill find out Sunday and let ya know if i remember

#50 ·
!That Guy!,
Have you ridden an 06/07 600 yet? If not, you're in for a treat. I have ridden several 600s and 1000s and aside from the Triumph Daytona 675r, the GSX-R 600 that I have is my favorite.
Going from a SV to this should be no real issue, maybe even spark some more confidence. An older SV that I rode felt top-heavy in comparison.

#51 ·
I actually used to own a '07 750, as my first bike.... rode it like a squid...crashed it like a squid....but at least I had gear on :punk. Unfortunately, I owned it before I really knew how to ride so never really got to experience its full potential. I have not ridden anything but a sv650 on the track, so I cant wait to get on the track with a TRUE sportbike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.