Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

fuel issue, cleaning injectors?

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  rv6john 
#1 ·
symptom: bike cranks a few time before starting then immediately dies.
So its goes crank crank crank crank VROOM dies....... whether i am continuously holding the starter or not.
I'll try to get a video tomorrow.

I think its not getting enough fuel. This is a salvage bike and has probably been sitting for 3-6 months in a junk yard. I already dumped the old fuel out and it came out clean, and the inside of the tank looks clean too. New fuel is in with some stabil.
Going to do two tests tomorrow. The how much fuel does the pump pump test and also spraying starter fluid into the cylinders to verify it is a fuel issue.

My question is..is there an easy way to clean the injectors with it on the bike? Maybe spray/pour injector cleaner into the fuel line then start it to get it in there then repeat a few times?

#2 ·
I agree that you should try the starting fluid to confirm it is a fuel issue. It sure sounds like it.

I really don't think it is the injectors. I would look for a fuel restriction.

1. check the hoses from the fuel pump to the rail for kinks.
2. check the fuel filter for debris.
3. do a pressure test on the fuel pump (I'm guessing that is it is cycling and running)
The procedure is in the service manual.

#3 ·
thanks, thats the kind of answer I needed. I didn't think of doing a pressure test. I just so happen to have that tool at work too!
Hoses are ok. I don't think theres debris in the filter since the old fuel looked clean but I'm not sure on this, the pressure test will help me verify.

#5 ·
I did try and start it before, and it was doing the same thing. I then dumped the fuel and pulled the spark plugs and cleaned them. They physically look fine though. The starting fluid will also help verify this.

#9 ·
Update:
Bought new spark plugs. Took out old ones, cranked a few times without plugs to clear any leftover gas/oil/flooding.
Installed new plugs. Same result. With starter fluid initially would fire then die immediately. Then it wouldn't even fire with starter fluid. It wants to but doesnt.
Verified good gas is flowing.....that was a mess.
Waiting for video to upload to show.

#14 ·
thank you for the help rv6. I think I have found the problem. I did a regulator test. I get nothing when connecting either w1/w2 to b1 or b2. w1/w2 to b3 gives a good reading including all the other diode tests on it.
i tested this first because there some physical damage(edge fins broke) to it from a wreck.

#16 ·
:banghead I KNOW this and had a brain fart. I was tired and frustrated. the worst time to work on a bike haha

I received an instrument cluster today and wired that up. I turned on dealer mode to check the codes and 3 codes came up. Two codes I expected but not the third. It was the TO sensor code.
Looked for it and finally realized it was missing. The cables were broken off inside the cable housing so I didn't realize anything important was missing.
Followed some instructions to bypass it using resistors and it fired up and ran.
:punk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.