Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Need help testing charging system

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Zlow28 
#1 ·
Recently, my bike would not start in the cold weather and I had to bump start it to get home. The battery would not hold a charge and it would eventually die. At one point, the gear identifier would not change as I shifted. This made me think it was R/R but it was apparent the cluster stopped functioning as the battery was dyeing.

So I go to test the stator. However, I am not absolutely certain I had my multimeter setup right. Can someone help me out here?

Measuring voltage at the battery:

When I rev up the bike to 5000 (warm) the voltage does not change and stays at 12V.

Measuring AC voltage at the the stator wires:

When revved to 5000rpm, this configuration shows 68 volts

Measuring resistance (ohm) from the battery to the stator wire:

I am not completely certain I have the right configuration setup here. However, the next 3 or 4 selections up for ohm does not change. Only the place of the decimal. It always showed 1.

I was fairly certain my stator was bad because it does not appear I have an overvoltage issue but a problem with the battery staying charged. Can someone check over the way I tested the stator and if I did it right? Do I need a new stator? I was surprised to see 68 volts (if I measured right) at the stator. Minimum for my bike is 65 volts I believe.

See less See more
#2 ·
Measuring resistance (ohm) from the battery to the stator wire:

I am not completely certain I have the right configuration setup here. However, the next 3 or 4 selections up for ohm does not change. Only the place of the decimal. It always showed 1.
You need to move the red lead to the Ohm port. 1st one to the left of the negative (black) lead.

#7 ·
Check your manual. It gives you a chart with all the numbers you should be getting and what settings to use in your multimeter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.