Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

new gsx r 600 srad owner

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  dj_smurph 
#1 ·
so i just bought my bike and it wont start now so i have to pop start it and when im goin down the road none of my gauges work until i pull the clutch in and then everything works and my head light gets brighter what could be wrong with it?

#2 ·
Check the stator wires and r/r wires. They are usually fried. Your kickstand switch could be a problem, or your clutch switch.

#3 ·
yup might be wise to remove all the body work and go through every single connection and contact cleaning with electrical contact cleaner then filling the connections with electrical grease, check the harness for breaks and make sure all grounds are cleaned and solid.

repair any burnt connections, the usual suspects are the yellow headlamp loom connection (yellow 8 wire I think) and the connection that plugs into the R/R (regulator rectifier) there are how to's members have posted that walk you through the beef up process..

appears Suzuki may have used an inferior gauge in a few areas or something to that effect?

in any event don't half arse it, the electrical seems to be a trouble area for many SRADs so may as well go through it and inspect, repair and grease everything while your at it that way you know whats what as far as condition..

don't skimp on cleaning connections, use a bright LED flashlight or compatible to look down inside of each connector and make sure they are CLEAN and in good shape, use a good electrical contact cleaning solution, I like the aerosols for ease, use a good dose then inspect, repeat, repeat, repeat..

then when packing the grease inside the connectors use an ample amount and keep packing it in, blob some on then rub it in with your finger, repeat until you see the grease coming out the backside of the connector, this will help weatherproof it as well so use a waterproof grease.. also don't be afraid to use it on your bulb connections, tail bulbs signal, everything..

do all of this then test all of your electrical outputs with a muli-meter, you can test for leaks, amps and voltage...

there are way better electricians than I on this board so find their stickies or find someone that knows how to?

#4 ·
Just a quick/stupid question on the grease....it doesn't matter if the grease is touching more than 1 connection at the same time, right?

#6 ·
:) :thumbup

#13 ·
What's the first....your crack den?!?!?!

#15 ·
Uncle Fester needs to let you out more often.....lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.