Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Chain adjustment

14K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  donlycan 
#1 ·
Hey quick question,

I want to adjust my chain and after adjusting the chain to 30mm slack, the chain tightens when I torque the axle nut back on. :monkeyface

So is it normal for the chain to get tighter after putting the axle nut on?

thx in advance.

#2 ·
Yes.

When you torque the axle nut, you're pinching the swingarm onto the axle spacers. This narrows it slightly and moves the wheel back ever so slightly.

You need to compensate for that in your initial adjustment such that you get the specified slack after the nut is torqued. It can take some trial and error.

#3 ·
Set the slack where u need it with the adjuster screws...Then take a small wrench (or any other small tool) and put it in one of the teeth in the sprocket spin the wheel so its wedged in the chain (carefully) and tighten axle nut. When axle is tight spin the wheel to free the tool and whallah propper slack. It works and if done carefully it does not damage the sprocket or chain..:cheers

#9 ·
I have spent some time experimenting with the chain and the adjustments. I found the same problem with the axle nut but it can be worked around using the methods above. I also found that measuring the chain slack is not exact. 20mm – 30mm is not a large tolerance to work with. The chain has some stretch to it and depending on how hard you push it upwards you may have a difficult time getting an exact measurement.

I spent about 3hrs. Playing with it, using a measuring tape to find the centre of the chain and a measuring square to measure the chain slack at different points on the chain.

I got everything square and even, torqued to spec with approximately 20mm slack on the chain at the tightest point. I would have liked it to be a little looser but that was the best I could do while squaring the axle sliders symmetrically.

I did find that with the chain a bit tighter the shift from neutral to first while stopped does not clunk as hard.

#13 ·
correct.

a tad on the loose side may produce some "slap" noise, and slightly faster sprocket wear, but to tight can cause bearing damage, and also cause accelerated chain stretch from excessive heat.

#11 ·
anywhere in the oem specs and you should be fine. I try to put mine on the looser side of that, but still in oem specs. unless you change your suspension, swingarm, etc then things change and the oem specs may not be correct for your application any longer. Just something to remember.

#15 ·
make sure you also double check the wheel alignment notches on both sides because while you retightening the wheel sometimes have the tendency to get cocked a little sideways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.