Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

2008 GSXR-600 vs 2008 CBR600RR

31K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  Mashimaro 
#1 ·
So I just sold my '07 ninja 500r an hour ago. I won't be buying a bike till early next year and right now I've narrowed my choices between the gixxer 600 and cbr600rr. I've sat on the gixxer and it fits like a glove (im only 5'4"). Its also cheaper than the cbr, but the cbr is more tighter and nimble and also has a higher seat height. Decisions, decisions...

#2 ·
All depends on what kind of ride you want. They both have their pro's and cons. I would say for casual street use the cbr might be a better option. In stock form it has a smoother throttle and is better down low in the rpm's. It also feels lighter up front than the gsxr. At least thats my take after riding one for a few hours. I have no regrets on the gsxr as I keep the rpm's up higher anyways. Unfortunately I didnt push the cbr too much as it only had 115 miles on her and the owner is a puss about breaking in his bike.:lol so cant say too much about the top end performance.

One of these days we'll swap again and I can give her a good run. Too bad temps are dropping already:thumbdown

#3 ·
they are bolth great bikes ...the only thing that i could think of that would be a differant would be the cbr is a little lighter... nomater you would be happy with eather one.. the profomance is going to be close... one will do something better then the other my vote would be for the gixxer

#4 ·
the gixxer u can have HID headlight from projector... but the with the CBR you can have HID 6k on 1 side and HID yellow on the other side, looks bad ass... both look bad ass....

um, with cbr its... and with the gixxer you can... yeah basically both bikes are sick... im surprised you didnt throw an r6 into the mix...

#7 · (Edited)
ignore the previous post.. lol

The cbr has better brakes, just a bit.

The gixxer has a slipper clutch (which is a huge upgrade).

There is no clear "Best bike". The gixxer is the shortest, and the weight difference is minimal.

The r6 has no steering damper.
The cbr has no slipper clutch.
The Kawasaki is... a kawasaki.

The gixxer has the most real features.

The r6 is close behind. Being on your tip toes doesn't really matter.. throw an ass cheek off the side when you stop.

I probably would have bought an r6, was just concerned about the #3 crank bearing issue and that not fully being resolved yet.

The honda is a distant 3rd (maybe even 4th) around the track. Plus, FWIW, they pay basically no contingency.

05 1000rr was their peak IMO.

#8 ·
The GSXR is a GSXR. Being a great bike is in its bloodline. But when it gets in competitions (for 08s) it allways finishes middle of the pack. The biggest praise they give is the Bridgestones on the GSXRs being so good.

The honda for lack of a better quote "will make you a better rider". I can believe that with the way that bike is. I would love a 750 but the dealership here is no about working with you and the 750 is priced more then im willing to pay.

Either way their both great bikes youll enjoy tremendously. Pick the one you think looks better and go with it.

#9 ·
being a honda man myself, (dirt bikes, wifes car, lawn mower, I was really suprised when I bought the suzuki. the fit and finish was way better than the honda. It looks like it is better designed in so many areas. It kind of shocked me because honda is usually first class. just my opinion.

#12 ·
Did you say you are coming off a Ninja 500? Is so then either the Gixx or the CBR will be more than enough bike for you. I say go out and get a Gixx 750 instead, you can find leftover 08's for $8500 OTD in some states. As long as your not in CA, you should be able to register it in the state of your choice. But if you want a 600, I like the Gixxer better, but I never rode the Honda. Not much of a fan of Hondas in general.

#13 ·
find a cool dealer, and do test rides...

#16 ·
I've narrowed my choices between the gixxer 600 and cbr600rr. I've sat on the gixxer and it fits like a glove (im only 5'4"). Its also cheaper than the cbr, but the cbr is more tighter and nimble and also has a higher seat height. Decisions, decisions...
I have both the 07 CBR & the 08 gixxer and here's my 2 cents. I don't race or do track days, just street. My feeling is the CBR is slightly more technical than the Gixxer. Here's why I say that. I'm 5'2" and it basically came down to the CBR being more difficult with the extra height (even after shaving the seat; which can't be shaved much) and touchy throttle. Getting the CBR into my shed over an uneven gravel drive & up a 2-3" wood incline was tricky. Getting on the throttle so it didn't kill but enough to get it up into the shed, then braking quickly was a bitch. I thought I was going to have to lower it, but was really concerned about messing with the suspension. Once I saw & sat on the '08 gixxer, it was all over with, and I sold the CBR to my husband (who has the same problem getting it into the shed, but has a little extra leg length to catch it if it kills). I've never regretted it! The Gixxer is more user friendly. I LOVE the stock gixxer tires. I never felt the difference in the weight between the 2 bikes. I like the extras with the Gixxer like some tools (even if the usual crap) and the rear seat cowling. The gixxer mirrors have more vibration, but it didn't bother me that much and I like the looks of integrated turnsignals. The gixxer takes regular unleaded, but I got better mileage with the CBR. The gixxer headlights are fabulous, I really like the gear indicator, and the emergency flashers. After market parts for the gixxer came out much sooner than the CBR. Tons of gixxers out there for used parts. The CBR left me anxious (granted, a lot of it at my driveway). The heat from the undertail exhaust is noticable in hot temps (but I do love the looks). The turnsignals are rather old-fashioned looking IMHO, but those are easy to change.

The comfort is about the same on the 2 bikes. I can go about 3 hrs before needing a stretch. Their ergos are very similar, although I don't think the gixxer seat matches a woman's butt very well, so I'm having a friend reshape it (the seat, not my butt :biggrin).

So far as mechnical, I was really unhappy when the seat screw on the CBR wouldn't come out. Fortunately I checked the forums & didn't completely ruin it before finding out about the problem. But that was on a 2007, and it's probably fixed now. On the gixxer, I had the bad O2 sensor & have the water in the headlight assembly that needs fixed, but I still prefer the Gixxer for me. I've been very happy with Suzuki's warranty response.

Going from the 500 to either of these bikes, you'll feel a HUGE difference. I went from the Ninja250 to Suzuki GS500F to SV650S to CBR to the gixxer. I know now that tiptoes isn't enough for me, I need the balls of my foot on the ground to feel okay. That's just my personal limit & allows some room for the unexpected. I ride to have fun, not to be anxious. With the '08 gixxer I feel like I have the bike I've always wanted.

Okay, maybe that's more like my $2 worth, but hope it helps.

Good luck with the decision! You're going to have a blast whichever way you go!

#18 ·
the seating on the 07 cbr is more upright compared to my 06 750 gix. it almost feels like i'm standing up. i bet the cbr is very comfortable in long rides though (ive only rode my buddies for like 4 miles). overall very awesome bike. the 07's r almost a completely different machine compared to my previous 05 cbr.

gix's comes stock with pretty much everything... damper, slipper, flushmounts, tail lights. the 07 cbr however doesnt (asides from the damper). if u r not tracking, the cbr has this big ugly rear fender that holds the brakes & turn signals on it & most after market FE kits r just plain fugly. just some things to consider before u buy.

height wise the gix has always been the most comfortable to sit on since the seats r very narrow. i can almost flat foot my gix. but i wouldnt let height sway u from buying any 600. hope this helps

#22 · (Edited)
Well, you're on a GSXR board so you are going to tend to get opinions biased towards the GSXR....if you asked the same question on a CBR board you'd have a bias there as well.:_biggrin2:

Having said that and basically understanding that all the bikes these days are really pretty dang good.....it really comes down to which bike trips your trigger so to speak.

Also, understand that some of the comments here are not based on first hand knowledge per say, i.e. that most of these folks don't own both bikes, plus you have the "riding" experience level to quantify as well.

I have an '07 600RR and an '08 750 and have spent a fair amount of time on the Gix 600 as well.

You mentioned your height. The GSXR has a noticeably lower seat height so that could be a very important factor for you. My best bud, who's log in I'm using and have had to use here for a while as they, after numerous emails, can't seem to get my log in set up here so that I can actually post, got the GSXR 600 for specifically that reason....he's able to get more foot on the ground with the Gix 6 which can be an important thing:wink:

As far as build quality....someone mentioned that they felt the CBR build quality was inferior to their GSXR. Opposite experience in my case. While I really do love my 750 and love riding it....pretty much overall, the CBR's a "better" bike in many ways. Saying this won't be popular here of course and I realize that it is somewhat subjective in many areas, but general build quality, smoothness of engine and tranny, etc. would lean toward the CBR. I could go into more depth but it's prolly unnecessary.

The CBR is also substantially lighter and does have more low end/midrange grunt as well. Again, this won't be popular here but my '07 600RR is quicker that my '08 750 up to about 6K give or take. I noticed this, and was quite surprised I must say, right away. Apparently the Sport Rider guys noticed the same thing in their last issue with the shootout between the "class" winners ZX10, GSXR 750, and the 600RR. Point being, that when people say the GSXR 600 and 600RR aren't that different in low to midrange torque.....can't be the case when the 600RR is quicker up to a specific RPM than the 750 is.

Regardless, as I said....they're all good bikes without a doubt. You really can't go wrong whichever way you decide to go. The GSXR 600 would be better for you seat height wise and that in itself could very well be the deciding factor for you as it was for Kenny.....BTW don't bag on him as he's not writing this.:lol

Anyway, just thought I'd throw these thoughts out to you as an "unbiased" opinion as I obviously have both the Honda and the Suzuki. Good luck on your search:thumbup

Das Bone

#23 ·
I bought my gixxer 600 2 months ago was my first sport bike and also my first Suzuki. I've had many Honda atv's over years and have loved each of them...Honda quality is amazing...That being said Suzuki is IMO the only other company that can match Honda with overall fit,finish, ergo's and reliability...when i was shopping around for a bike i found a left over '07 CBR600RR Black/silver $8500 OTD that was $300 cheaper OTD than the Suzuki i ended up buying....was a hard choice I did really like the CBR and as i said i've a lot of experience with Honda products so I knew what I would be getting....but still I loved the look of the GSXR and for me if just felt more comfortable so thats what i got.......On a completely different note just from my own experience over the last couple of months no other bike out there gets more attention than a GSXR!! My friend that ride with on the weekends has a '08 ZX6R (Blue) and he gets so mad each time we go riding cause every time we stop some where my Gixxer steals the show...every one will walk by the bike and say how much they like it blah blah blah :drool and just walk past his :phhht

Enjoy which ever you buy both bikes are amazing!!!

#26 ·
I agree with kennyd's post :cheers

I came from an '03 600RR and when i was looking for a bike at the beginning of this year, i was looking at the '07 600RR or the '08 GSXR750.

I test rode both bikes pretty much back to back for about an hour.

The 600RR is an amazing machine. It's so light that it seriously feels like you're flicking a bicycle around. it's stable as well when cornering and the midrange power is quite potent for a 600cc (even more so than my friends 636 kawi). compared to my '03 600RR, it was like comparing chocolate to shit. the '07 600RR is definately the standard for 600 class (although i didn't get a chance to test ride the the '08 R6) IMO.

After that ride, i hopped onto the GSXR 750. Honestly, i was disappointed that it didn't have 'massive' midrange over the 600RR, but once you rev past 8K, that's where the power is most noticable. the 750 felt more comfortable for me and i found it was very easy to ride rite away. the price was cheaper for the 750 and has some nice standard features like the rear seat cowl (the honda cowl is about 200bux here). The 750 doesn't seem as well built as the Honda IMO in terms of fit and finish, but they have come a long way for suzuki. Honda has always had a high level of quality/craftsmanship with their bikes.

I could've gone either way with my bike purchase, but it boiled down to price in the end, and the left over '07 was going to be more expensive than my '08 750.

I'm extremely happy with my 750 though, so don't get me wrong! i think it's the perfect all around bike for having fun.

good luck with your decision :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.