Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Rev limit problem

7K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  kevin.g 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I just rode my bike for the first time today after repairing it from an accident I had, when I whipped the throttle open to test everything the bike stopped reving past about 11,000 rpms. The bike didn't sound like it was hitting rev limit, just sounded like it didn't want to go past 11,000 rpms. I took it all back apart and im inspecting everything and nothing looks wrong... I dont work on a lot of bikes so I don't know exactly what everything is supposed to look like.

When I installed my throttle cable I never adjusted the slack in or anything started it and it passed all the tests that were recommended to me to try, but when I installed the cables I hit some kind of adjuster next to the throttle valve on the engine. It looks like some kind of adjuster for the throttle plates on the bike. I will upload a picture in just a minute.

Could that little adjuster cause the rev limit to be that low? or if there is any other common problem that causes a bike not to rev past a certain point. Also like I said it doesn't sound like a electronic restriction.

#5 ·
The blue part is the throttle cables. They need to be adjusted to snug, where there is only a mm or two slack in the throttle tube.

the orange part is the fast idle. It is a "choke" for lack of a better term

#6 · (Edited)
thank you again moto, where should this be adjusted to? Also do you have a possible explanation for the rev limit problem? I do have a FI light on... c28, but I had the same FI light before I had this accident and it was riding fine before I wrecked.

Edit: After I did some research the code C28 is a common problem among 2004-05 GSXR 600's I noticed when I took the bike apart for the first time the STVA was disconnected for some reason and I wondered why. Now I found that this could be the reason the bike is not going over 11k rpms, and the previous owner probably unhooked it to override the sensor.

#7 ·
Where should what be adjusted to? The fast idle? It is probably fine. It is closed in that photo as it should be unless the bike is warming up.

I have no clue on the rev limit issue. I would say a c28 is a likely culprit though, and something you likely want to remedy regardless.

#8 ·
Looks like you've removed the STVA and reinstalled it in the wrong position. That cam is not in a position that should even be possible.

1) Remove the STVA.
2) Use a small flat blade scredriver. Insert it about 1/4" into the STVA and turn clockwise until it stops.
3) Turn that cam (circled in orange) to the position indicated below.
4) Reinstall the STVA and hope your STPS hasn't been damaged by the improper install.

Auto part Bolt cutter Automotive window part

#10 ·
Oh, and judging by the hole that's been drilled in the cam, I'm guessing that bike had the C28 error and the owner of the bike bought the "STVA no power solution" for $15 on ebay which consisted of a drillbit and a spring to hold the STVA fully open.

#11 · (Edited)
oh wow...

well if you're not going to have the STVA fully functioning, I'm assuming you could just wire in a couple resistors to get the C28 to come off? Although if I'm not mistaken having the STVs fully open for an extended period of time is going to cause some carbon build up in the cylinder head and maybe some other damage, no?

#13 ·
I ran my bike with the STVs fully open and unplugged the STVA for about 50 miles until I had the time to drill it open and resolder it... I was just thinking that the STVA is supposed to have like .8Ω or something across the coil right? so why not wire a resistor into the circuit to get the FI light to go off permanently or at least until you fix the STVA ? if that makes sense...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.