Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

making my own petcock

12K views 219 replies 20 participants last post by  cody5127 
#1 ·
Hey guys, found some plumbing supplies I could use to make a pingle style petcock,.gonna make a plate to bolt it to the tank tomorrow at work but here is what I have so far. Let me know what you think. Its gonna be considerably shorter when its completed, this us just what I came up with.

#135 · (Edited)
Havent actually looked to hard at it, probably just as easy to order the pingel or just rebuild oem, I had thought about them the other day just hadnt looked it up. I think I would put it on the fan switch, I live in Florida so cold temps are not an issue. Its just a thought.............

How about a pingel mount with an elbow and run it back to the center of the bike, the one I suggested is only 1 1/2 wide so you would need to come down 3/4 min.. That would clean up that petcock area.

#142 ·
You do realize some homemade contraption could fail and turn you into a fireball right? This is a part you shouldn't cheap out on. I just looked and there is a used one in the classified and probably more around that could be had at a decent price. If you're worried over $100 part that has safety implications this might not be the sport for you.

#146 ·
Leaky petcock + hot motor + hot exhaust= possible human torch. If you think it doesn't happen you are VERY wrong. I had a friends bike fireball at a track right behind me, have also been to several as a fireman when I was younger. Shit gets real very quick.

#148 ·
Your OEM petcock started leaking 17 years off the showroom floor.... and you're bitching about it.

#149 ·
Actually, my petcock never started leaking, the plastic piece inside seized up at one point and someone before me sheared off the tabs on the knob and destroyed the petcock. My idea I was gonna make it leak proof and if it happened to leak I was gonna restart fresh. I'm not stupid when it comes to working on cars, still kinda new to bikes but they are the same concepts.

If I wanted comeback I would have wiped of your moms chin

#150 ·
What the hell happened in here? :scratch

#151 ·
Cody, I am glad that you are creative and willing to think outside the box. It is, however, your economic status that drove you to do so, and some generous members who saved you.
Take it from someone who has seen plenty of bikes go up in flames from poor choices, seen garages with racebikes burn down due to backfire through throttle body, ridden methanol fueled bikes and had to deal with invisible flames on the track, dump can fires in endurance racing, etc....... Let the factory design the some things, a petcock is one of them.
Deal with the jokes without the comebacks, roll with it. You ought to expect it on gdc. It's tough love here. When people don't care, they don't given you parts, and they don't even give you a hard time.
In 20 years, when you have ridden more miles on the track than on the street, and can't remember all the bikes you have crashed, you will understand.

#152 ·
What are you talking about Ccm? Nobody has saved me yet. OG wants the cash first to ship and srads is called for by jsarget. If I can't get one then I'm just gonna delete the diaphragm off my current one so its free flow and put stop valves in the lines. It's my only option and I already have the valves on the way.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com Free App

#153 ·
Correction srads isn't claimed by me. I talked to him about it but didnt buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#154 ·
But how much is the shipping? I will be seeing OG in the upcoming days and if shipping is like 5 bucks I will help you out while I'm there. That way he doesn't take the complete hit for the petcock. You don't need a chance of a fire for a couple bucks. But please if we do this get the red r!

#155 ·
But how much is the shipping? But please if we do this get the red r!

Shipping is $8 but he wants it Paypal and I don't have Paypal.

And about the red r, I said I would see about getting it at the end of this month but the decision is ultimately up to my gf since it's her credit card I'll be using.

#156 · (Edited)
Seems to be some confusion&misinformation concerning the petcock Im sending Cody so let me clear it up.
My last PM to Cody said that I would SHIP IT FOR FREE if he got his Red R. Shipping in a USPS flat rate box is $8. I told him to forget sending ME the $8(trying to be nice),borrow another $7 from somebody($8+$7=$15),take that $15 that he now has&spend that on getting his Red R for 1year(1 yr Red R membership=$15) as I would much rather see him support the forum then give me $8.
Cody told me that he has to wait until the end of the month to come up with the money for the Red R since he gets his check at that time.

My point is this: I dont need the Pingel petcock(which I could sell for $40 easily)as its collecting dust. I dont wanna see this kid set himself on fire/burn his bike/house/whatever down to the ground. I was broke when I was young too and struggled to support my motorcycle habit.
I was helped out by older,generous guys who I became friends with at the dragstrip&took me under their wings and I figured I would pay-it-forward by helping out Cody.

I dont need the $8 for shipping although it would be nice since I am unemployed. My only stipulation was that he "give back to the gixxer.com community&support the forum which helped him out" by getting his Red R. He said he would at the end of the month&hopefully he is a man of his word and follows through with getting it.

#158 ·
And OG, like I said I will look into it, doesn't mean yes I will get it but it doesn't mean no I won't. The decision is up to my gf. But, I am determined to get it and if she won't let me get it, I'll try and find another way. I really appreciate all of the help here, and I do believe in the pay it forward as I have already participated in it which is what caused most if my financial troubles, but I'm catching up, slowly but surely.

#163 ·
Sometimes when you see something so blatantly wrong, you know you just have to step in and save someone from themselves.
The frankencock was one of those times.
I still have the stock-cock packed and addressed and ready to ship though it seemed like Cody preferred the pingle and who am I to say?

"Who am I"...I'll tell you who I am.
I am Sradiator...Warrior of the wasteland! The ayatollah of petcockOla.

#165 ·
dude :wtf is so hard spend 15 bucks get your red are become a site supporter (to help keep the site running and help keep informing people like you about their bike so they don't catch themselves on fire) and OG said he would ship it to you and not charge you anything

if this is so hard then do us all a favor and :gtfo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.