Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

radiator fan not turning on?

80K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  sgwerner 
#1 · (Edited)
recently noticed my bike getting very hot when sitting in traffic and realized that my fan was'nt kickin on....There was no FI light coming on except when my bike got real hot, any ideas on what could be causing my fan not to turn on and/or what to check for? Also suggestions to fix the problem....BTW I ride a 05 600.......... Thanks

#7 ·
I just went through this 2 weeks ago on 04 600. Turns out it was the fuse. If the fuse is fine, it is the thermo-switch in the radiator ($40) or the ECT sensor ($50). Hopefully its not the fan, which is alot more money. Start with the easy stuff first. look for the manual here. I know it was posted a while back.

Good luck

#8 ·
when i bought my bike the the radiator was shifted to the left from being laid down. When you look you can see the radiator mounts are all twisted and bent to one side. This in turn bent the radiator inward toward the fan preventing the fan from spinning.

Try turning your fan by hand with your finger. See if it spins freely, if not, then investigate why it's not spinning freely.

Then do as others suggested. You can check your thermo switch by pulling the plug on the connector and shorting it out with a paper clip. If the fan kicks on, then your thermo switch is bad. If the fan doesn't kick on, you've got another problem.

If the temperature on your display looks correct, about 220F is when the fan kicks on, then it's obviously not your ECT sensor because it's working fine. You can see it on the LCD display.

#9 ·
+1 with shorting out the fan, i tried to tell people that a few times and it seems like they think im an idiot for wanting them to short something out, either that they dont know what it means. I use to have my fan wired to a switch that shorted it out so i could turn it on when ever I wanted, I suggest the OP do this if the fan kicks on when shorted, its the cheapest and easiest fix.

#17 ·
I have a k5 1000 and when it gets to around 200 to 210 degrees it starts idleing really low and sometimes as soon as I go into 1st gear sitting at a light the bike cuts off. I know the fan isnt suppose to kick on untill about 220 or 225 but figured i'd ask if anybody has any ideas. thanks

#20 ·
I have a 2005 suzuki gxsr and this is the prob I'm having... My fan is not turning on at all.. My turned bike on and let the temp go up pretty high to see if it wld kick on. Got up to 245 and no fan so I turned off bike. I've checked fuse which is good.. Just all connections with tester and I'm gettin power. So wld this be a bad FAN motor possibly? I also took out thermostat and checked it and it opened at 210 degrees! Temp usually goes up when I'm stopped and then coolant starts to leak... Any help is good help!!!

#22 ·
Guys wouldn't have been quicker to just inform marcus what to do. He gave you all the info all you guys needed to tell marcus is yes more than likely your fan motor is bad. But before you buy a fan motor. disconnect the plug of the motor and run 12 volts to the fan just to double check yourself brotha. If it doesnt spin then yes you have a bad motor just find a new one or used on ebay and replace. Hope that helps. Let us know what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.