Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Do You Roll with Nitrogen or Oxygen ?

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  speedjunkie13 
#1 ·
I think most are aware of the benefits of Nitrogen vs. normal air in car tires.
And we're seeing more and more cars and trucks with Nitrogen in their tires off the showroom floors. More Stable, less heat expansion, more consistent Pressures, and less Oxidation on the inside .

All the Nascar teams around us say they use Nitrogen in their tires. Plus we have always put it in the tires on our cars the past several years

Does anyone here use Nitrogen in their motorcycle tires? Street or Race bikes?

As it seems you don't have to mess with the tire pressures as much with Nitrogen.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
Plain old air

#8 ·
Not worth it for the general public to use N2, when you can buy a $100 craftsman air compressor and be done with it. N2 is not readily available, and you have to pay each and every time you do need it.

It is a necessary expense in aviation, not so much for street use.

#10 ·
We tried it at a trackday or 2.

Problems:
You have to purge the tire several times to get the normal air out. I think we had to inflate/deflate 7 or 8 times to get nearly pure nitrogen in the tire.

The pressure thing is an issue. You dont get the gain from heat so it's a little tougher to work pressures for heat.

It's really a waste of time IMHO on motorcycle tires.

#11 ·
Waste of time for most people with a bike tire, ESPECIALLY racers, since we swap them so much, and purging them is a BITCH.

If yu dont purge them, you might as well be using straight air :thumbup.

Gimmick :thumbup

#12 ·
I think it's hype...

Now if you really wanna get some performance, go with helium!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.