Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

How to set up a bike for Track Days

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  LandRokkit 
#1 ·
Hi, new to the forum. Just bought a used 2012 GSX-R600 L2. What's a L2?

I plan to use the bike 30% street and 70% track. Can anyone point me in the correct direction for preparing the bike. i.e. how to remove mirrors, disable lights and horn, etc.?

Also recommendation on some after market items like frame sliders, exhausts, etc.

Thanks in advance and sorry if these posts already exist. I just don't want to search 50 posts to find the info.

#2 ·
Hi, new to the forum. Just bought a used 2012 GSX-R600 L2. What's a L2?
L2 = 2012. Not sure why it's "L" and not "X" but maybe somebody else will chime in on that.

I plan to use the bike 30% street and 70% track. Can anyone point me in the correct direction for preparing the bike. i.e. how to remove mirrors, disable lights and horn, etc.?
Unbolt the mirrors - pretty straight forward.

Pull the fuses for the lights/horn and/or disconnect them from the harness.

Thanks in advance and sorry if these posts already exist. I just don't want to search 50 posts to find the info.
You don't want to do the work, so the rest of us here should compile the information for you to make your life easier?

#4 ·
L2 = 2012. Not sure why it's "L" and not "X" but maybe somebody else will chime in on that.

Why would it be a X? Think of it this way...a 2005 is a K5..2009 is a K9..etc..... so..2012... What letter comes after K? That is right..... L.

#6 ·
You are overthinking it..... :lol We aren't doing roman numerals... And it is not a 2K5..it is only a K5.. Hell..that is only 1 character shorter... Whats the point? Think of the K taking the place of the first 3 digits..the 200...and L takes place of 201...etc...

#7 ·
Google is as mighty as a sword!

#15 ·
I thought so, but appears not. Now the letter is simply an internal suzuki model designation it seems. Used to follow suit that the model was also the letter that designated the year in the vin. Now that "letter" is simply a number.

#14 ·
check your track rules and trackday organization's rules. they should be on the website. some orgs require water wetter, taping mirrors and lights and a wired sidestand. some orgs require nothing. how the hell did you get a USED L2? someone just bought a bike in order to sell or something?!

#18 ·
The release is farther down the wires. It is there. Sometimes it is sort of stuck behind the fairing stay and windscreen and all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.