Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

New in every sense

4K views 52 replies 34 participants last post by  GixxerB 
#1 ·
Hey there, I just bought a new bike and am a new rider. I'm as green as they come but I'm taking my license and course in a few weeks and am really excited :)

I hope I can learn from many of you guys and your experiences :cheers

#3 ·
Seriously? Sell the 750, and start on something small, like a Ninja 250, CBR 250, or even an SV650. The 750 is not the bike to learn on.

:facepalm

#4 ·
REALLY??? Not another one.:banghead

Look, I'll put it nicely bc many others won't. First off, Buying ANY R bike, even a 600, for a beginner is nearly a death sentence. So you decided to buy a 750? You have no license and no experience. You need to take your MSF course, then start out slow, like a ninja/cbr 250 or ninja 300. These SS bikes are very unforgiving and the common excuse that you will "respect" the bike and the power it has is unruley. Read some of the stickies on this site and research. I ride a 750 and I have been riding for years. Still more than enough bike for me. And this is the first bike you have wrapped your leg around?

Sell the bike or park it for a year or so and do yourself a favor and buy a smaller bike as a starter.

#6 ·
Not like anyone will change his/her mind.... so yeah. If you already shelled out the cash for a brand fucking new bike, you have more money than sense anyway.

#8 ·
I hope I can learn from many of you guys and your experiences :cheers
You should have started doing that by reading any of the dozens of threads in the Starting Line about why a sportbike is the worst choice for a new rider, much less a 750 and a brand new one at that... :dissapointed

#9 ·
Shoulda just got a 1000

#11 ·
Do yourself a huge favor & listen to the comments made above before you trash your new bike & put yourself in the hospital.

#17 ·
I rode a 2-stroke 125cc dirt bike w/ plates everywhere for my teenage years, then eventually got my first road bike: a '79 CB650 w/ 50k miles. The equivalent of a current Triumph Bonneville (>500 lbs, ~70 hp at best), but a lot cheaper to fix when I dropped it -- which I did, a lot. Switching to sport bikes was fun -- after I was ready, a few years and lots of miles under my belt. If you want a new sport bike now, the Ninja 300 is supposed to be amazing. My wife is on her second year on an old-gen Ninja 250, and still learning the performance envelope of that worthy bike. Broken levers and turn signals are cheap and easy to fix. When you find yourself on the ground under a 250, you can probably pick it right up off you. Not so on a new GSXR750. These people are flaming you because they care -- we all want you to live. Whoever sold you, a new rider, a 750, was irresponsible. You'll have a lot more fun on a lighter, smaller bike for the first 10,000 miles.

#33 ·
So uh...now we are moving onto beastial necrophilia...:lol

#38 ·
#40 · (Edited)
A less powerful starter bike would be the sensible way forward.

However, fortunately the throttle still is analogue...the 750 is ultra smooth if you want it to be, as docile as they come (you all need a ride on something evil like a 1098...one of my previous bikes btw).

The only real issue with a sportsbike is the seating position, it makes it a difficult place to start riding, it's very easy to make all the errors just because of that.
You will be pressed to get the vision up and far up in front, there will be alot of force on the bars...and most will start hanging off with the butt, with fcuk all support from the legs and knees....because for some odd reason that's percieved as the cool thing to do (increasing the issue with putting force on the bars xD ).

Where do I want to go with this?

TAKE COURSES, PLENTY of them. Cali Superbike School will save your life (or similar riding courses).

Seriously, it will save your life. And as an added bonus, you'll be alot better at cornering than the average Joe.

Rgds

/J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.