Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Post your crashed bike pictures!

5K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  TeflonTrout 
#1 ·
Id like to see how some of our bikes look in there not so glorious moments of life. A little background story would be good to go along with it

I was doing 50 mph on a country road leaving plenty of room in steady moving traffic. there's no intersections or anything anywhere. I also notice the road up on the left, there is no one waiting to turn into my lane, so i let my guard down. I looked to the right overlooking a farm that had a nice sunset over it. At this exact time was when this guy decided that road up on the left was what he needed, and he jammed on his brakes hard to make the turn and by the time i looked forward again (im talking less than a second) he was damn near stopped. I panicked a bit and locked up the back tire while trying to go around him. i hit him about 25 mph flew over his car and landed in the wrong lane. Got up and the guy came running up to me apologizing, i said what u all said.. its not ur fault man, i hit you. but he insisted he was at least at partial fault and didn't want to go through with a claim for that reason. I went to the hospital and got checked out with a sling i was very lucky.

My bike was up in the air doing an endo when I hit him so it launched me off the bike on impact, vs sliding forward into the handlebars and possibly through his back window

This is how i got the bike home from the body shop. didn't go through insurance on the accident so im fixing it myself. Rides mint still, cruises straight.

And my damage

lets see what you guys have :cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
well spit it out than.

I didn't want to claim an accident, never had one before wanted it to be clean, and the other person said he would not go through it either for my sake. I also have basic coverage which i will be changing to full coverage in the spring for this reason.

#26 ·
well spit it out than.

fuck might as well delete this thread cuz i wasn't trying to make it about my accident defending myself from all the know it alls from the bumble fuck corners of the country, i wanted to share stories and pics thats all

a little confused are we?

#5 ·
I have no accidents since 1986 therefore I have no fail pics to share

#7 ·
Damn that sucks. I do not have full coverage on all my bikes but I do have fire and theft. Even w/ just basic insurance if they deem it's his fault they would not surcharge you, but you would possibly have to pay the deductable. Read your insurance policy. Always brake w/ front and back brakes applied at same time if going in straight line. I think you have greater braking power w/ your front brake. Trail braking w/ rear brake is good for keeping your bike glued to your line in a corner though. I hope you heal quickly and get your bike back together for this upcoming spring. Cheers, Bobby

#11 ·
i used both brakes but i jabbed the back locking it up... i really dont think that affected the accident at all because like stated the back brakes do almost no braking anyway.

Yes, this is a fail lol. don't tell me nobody here has crashed and snapped a photo of the aftermath??!! I will check that thread out too, trying to make myself feel better about this by seeing others in or were in my shitty situation lol

#18 ·
too many know it all's in here the front brakes do not do 100% brake work that doesn't make sense if the back tire is on the ground than there is traction there, no mater how small a % it may be sorry macbayne if you figure just skip the back brake all together because you cant modulate

#24 ·
Soooo flying down the highway being stupid at 130 with a couple friends and i was coming up on a cut truck in the left lane car in the right and im coming up behind the car lean to the left to cut and turn my head and out of the corner of my eye i see my friend coming up for the same cut and he had his girl on the back so it was either hit him or lock the brakes and hope for the best so i hit the brakes bike shook me off and laid down sliding into the car while i was flipping down the highway. moral of the story always wear gear cuz if not for my helmet i wud be dead and if not for my gloves and vest i would have been horribly fucked up. And you will also need LOTS of luck.

Attachments

#25 ·
I see you wore the proper gear :facepalm

leather all day every day. that way you dont get rash, only break bones :fact

heal up :cheers

#35 ·
I like the direction this thread has been heading...

#41 ·
Ok i see what your saying, in a strait line condition where 100% of traction can be giving to the brakes, i can see where the rear brakes wont make a difference. Its when your turning and say 20% of your maximum traction is devoted to G's and you go to stop, and you give your front brake that 100% power like u say vs using both brakes, 120% traction needed=locked front wheel=high side. I've seen it happen. Parking lot practice would have helped me in my accident but the main problem was timing, i was just not looking at the road at all for the second the guy was laying on his brake. call it luck, my bad luck lol.

Anyone else who has pics post em up... unlike what some people here think, accidents happen, and hopefully sharing your experiences and the consequences of the accident with others may help other accidents be avoided n i don't mind being an example if it helps someone else.

#47 ·
A locked front wheel while turning would make a lowside.

The rear wheel does very little to nothing for slowing the bike down if you are using the front to its full potential. Period. the rear CAN help with chassis stability if you are talented enough to use it and not lock it up while using the front to its full potential.

The front can be used DAMN hard at some DAMN steep lean angles ;)

Notice the angle of the belly pan to the ground, and the fender to the nose... :thumbup

#46 ·
a properly designed jacket actually is COOLER than just a Tshirt :idea.

Same concept as a farmer wearing long sleeves.

But that is not near as cool :squid :rolleyes.

This thread is slap full of fail :facepalm

#49 ·
Damn your on the brakes in that picture??? Are your running race slicks their? how much to they help in maximum traction compared to street tires? I run Dunlop Q2's i cant imagine how grippy an all out race slick could be.

I did the parking lot thing with my back brakes, learning when they will lock up. I sure do wish my bike had ABS, for a daily bike, so not have to worry about a wheel locking up in traffic, or a slick cool mountain road would be glorious to say the least

X2 on textile jacket, i been riding with one since day one, 4 years ago. Funny thing is when i crashed i was not wearing my jacket, just a T-shirt and i got ZERO road rash tell me how that makes sense? not even on my T-shirt not a stain smudge or tear just a scrape on my helmet, and a broken collar bone, and my shoe ripped in half somehow

#50 ·
Shoes are usually one of tghe first things to go, and boney areas are first to get ground on.

You were lucky.

Yes I am on the brakes. Hard. That is why the fender is as close as it is and the bike is as forward pitched as it is.. Yes that is a slick front, but really a DOT race front will do the same, and even a good hybrid tire like your q2 can brake that deep... carefully.

Could I do that on the street, with a tire that is only heated to street temps? Nope. But you can brake pretty damn far still. Key is smoothness and feel. Takes a lot of experience and know how.

#52 ·
that is amazing, great pic too. braking i found to be the hardest thing to master. im smooth on throttle, and normally get on it a bit quicker than most i ride with, but its the braking thats always tricky im always worried the front tire will give out and bikes dont have crutches to lean on like a car does when that happens. I hope to get to the track next year, i have dreams about it lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.