Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

No need to buy fender kits and spools

10K views 182 replies 37 participants last post by  gixxerjorge 
#1 ·
Automotive lighting Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Auto part

Some may disagree some may agree but IMO I say fender kits and swingarm spools are just a waste of money why purchase a product when you can just make one yourself (as seen in pic1)
And why purchase a product where it's purpose could be done without it my bike sits firmly on my race stand w/o spools (as seen in pic 2).. my fender kit only cost my 10$ compare to the yoshi kit that goes for like 60$ and they both serve its purpose. But I understand why that is you are just basically paying for the name...my Friend call me cheap for this but I think if I'm payin for a product to put on my bike and the cost is kinda high is must have something to do with the improvement in performance and safety not the way it look

Got 99 problems but traffic ain't one

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm confused by the stand pic - how are the stand and bike connected? Spools also can serve a purpose like frame sliders, to take the grind for your bike in a crash.

On the fender eliminator - plenty of people do it that way, but could you at least use some stuff that's not bent to hell and rusted quite so bad? :dunno I used some straight L shaped metal on each side, bolted to undertail bolt holes like yours, then straight to the plate bolts.

#3 ·
my bike is sitting on the stand by its swingarms...the spools purpose is sliders too but I consider that a theory reason being never have I seen it documented being put to use like frame sliders or bar ends....and far as the rusty metal lol you right but this is onli temp. til I place my numbers on the side of my bike I don't like having it back there the way I ride it fit me best on the side of my bike

#4 ·
Spooled stands are more stable, for one thing. If you want to risk the bike falling off and then having a high parts bill, then that's your nevermind. Me, I'll pay the little extra for a pair of aftermarket spools (I've seen a set of aluminum spools at Harbor Freight for as little as $9.95). Also keep in mind that the bottom of the swingarm ends of some sportbikes are not equal; attempting to use a universal rear stand will result in unequal heights. As for spools doubling as sliders, not recommended. One look at the cheesy welded tabs on modern swingarms may convince you of that.

#6 ·
@d207gp I totally understand what your saying I have no worries though and @ballin I'm assuming that is the yoshi kit.... I like it too but 30-50$ to be seen better? If that is the case hid bulbs would be a better investment to me if the retard behind you can not see you they obviously is not paying attention

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#46 ·
I don't need more HP and not trying to reduce weight, I just didn't like the way the stock exhaust looked. Obviously not a problem for you with that ghetto shit you rigged up on your bike.

Yeah, I'm a menace to everyone around me with my loud ass exhaust and sometimes going as fast as 70 MPH!!

:eek:hmy
:lmao:lmao:lmao Such a wholigan .

#16 ·
I don't know why it's really that complicated used some scrap 1/8 flat bar I had laying aroun two small stitch welds a little rattle canning and a white led strip from autozone and I have 7 bucks invested in mine and looks alot better than the $10 the OP spent IMO
View attachment 195257
View attachment 195258
View attachment 195259

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
+1 on the LED strip from autozone!

#12 ·
View attachment 195233
View attachment 195235

Some may disagree some may agree but IMO I say fender kits and swingarm spools are just a waste of money why purchase a product when you can just make one yourself (as seen in pic1)
And why purchase a product where it's purpose could be done without it my bike sits firmly on my race stand w/o spools (as seen in pic 2).. my fender kit only cost my 10$ compare to the yoshi kit that goes for like 60$ and they both serve its purpose. But I understand why that is you are just basically paying for the name...my Friend call me cheap for this but I think if I'm payin for a product to put on my bike and the cost is kinda high is must have something to do with the improvement in performance and safety not the way it look

Not to be mean . But the Strap you used for hanging your plate looks like crap . You can find better material at Home Depot to use that won't rust and will look better .

As for the swing arm stand. It depends on what kind of stand you buy as to whether you need spools or not .

#13 ·
I agree that you can make a perfectly good license plate holder for very little money that will work just as well as a $60-80 one - but yours looks like crap :facepalm

As for spools, I have several of both types of stands - spool stands are significantly more stable. If you don't want to spend those $10 on spools, use bolts instead. I've done that before when working on bikes with spool brackets but without spools.

#15 ·
Tlee has the right idea, that's how my bike is set up. The 4" White LED strip is bright enough to light up the plate, and the road behind me, makes my bike legal, and is such a low profile that it looks like it fits.

OP, yours is trash, if you want to make your own kit, that's cool, but at least have the resources and brainpower to make it look like a 4 year old didn't do it.

#19 · (Edited)
:lmao :lmao :lmao

And....figures it's another '12 showing off his mad skillz. I swear '13 can't come soon enough

#29 ·
They refer to 12's because its the year you joined the forum. Not what year your bike is.

#57 ·
Hey OP, you fucking moron, can you read this:

And Coopgt1 yes i do kno ur pipe do not have to be loud to in prove power and I never said a loud can in-prove power I said loud cans would get you pulled over first then me cuz i don't have a lp light..so what are you talkin about?
Pcv,Bazzazz, power commander, dyno tuned, full exhaust system w/o the cat....anything I else I need to learn bro?
I'm not the best but I deal with this on a daily basis up here ppl come to the shop all the time thinkin they can just buy a can and that is all needed to go faster don't believe me just google me and the shop I go by the name "hollywoodstuntz" the shop is called "Chop Shop" located in Astoria queens New York and we have a powder coating shop in the Bronx called "baypowdercoating"....with that being said I say I kno what I'm talkin about and that's why I said Sam pipe is a piece of shit and a waste of money especially "for looks"

What the hell is that fucking garbage?! You are obviously imbred.

#88 ·
I don't know if you work for the shop you are referring to. But if you do, your boss really needs to see this and fire your dumb ass. You are making that shop look like total fucking garbage and if ANYBODY ever went there after reading this illegible horse shit you have been typing out, they are just as pathetic as you are. If you are more than just a floor sweeper and ballsack wiper, and actually have some say kind of stake in the company, then you are destined to fail. With an attitude like that, you deserve every bit of business failure you receive.

I have plenty more to say, but frankly, I have no reason to show you how much of an imbecil you really are. You obviously know more than everyone else.

#85 ·
View attachment 195233

I am not gonna scroll through all these posts of people making fun of you. So I will just come right out with what I have to say.

THAT is the ugliest fucking thing I have EVER seen on a motorcycle. You are an idiot if you think that it is OK to have some rusty ass shit under your bike like that.

There is a reason some people go out and buy fender eliminators, they are smart enough to know that they can not make something that looks good on their own, so they go buy something. You call them stupid for wasting money, I call you stupid for not admitting you have no idea what the fuck you are doing when it comes to making stuff for your motorcycle.

I am gonna leave the stand issue alone, you have it all figured out. You really have gotten life by the balls man. Kudos to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.