Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Been a minute..

4K views 43 replies 15 participants last post by  §treet_§peed 
#1 ·
It's been a good while since I've been on here. Still the same good stuff. Hit it rough for the last year or so. Got laid off, lost my house, found a job a few months later, then get laid off again. Anyways, I'm slowly starting to get back on my feet. Still broke and struggling but I am starting college in January so there's something to look forward too. AND, I should be getting my settlement from where I was rear ended by two people last year and it messed up three disks in my neck and back. Anyways, I have been looking around at some bikes. I will be able to get back on my feet and well ahead with this settlement and I want to ride again so bad I can taste it. I looked at the new 2013 GSX-R's 750 online and they look pretty good. Just not to many color options in my opinion. What do you guys think?

#4 ·
I think you should lay off the bikes, especially a new 2013 one, especially if you're just now getting back on your feet. Wait till youre stable THEN jump for the toys. Best of luck to you :cheers

#5 ·
first, who are you? I dont even remember who you are :dunno :lol

Second, I agree with ThatGuy. even if you were going to get a bike, wouldnt it be FAR smarter to get one that is used and half the price :wacko

#6 ·
I have to agree with "ThatGuy". Get yourself sorted before you proceed with the bike.

Take it from someone who has a mortgage, 2 kids in college, and credit card debt.

Establish a goal and look forward to it.

Ed

#8 ·
The last thing to be thinking about if picking up a bike, getting and being back on your feet is way more important. Roof over head, food to eat and a little money in the bank is key to moving forward in life while riding a motorcycle is not for right now.

#9 ·
I should be back ahead and stable when I get this settlement. I was thinking about buying used as well. I still have my old gear from my old bike so there's less money. A lot of you might not remember me because I wasn't really a big poster on here. I mostly just read stuff unless I had a question.

#10 ·
EDIT: wrote a big ass response to your last post then realized, who the fuck am I? :lmao. Its your money, have fun. :cheers

#15 ·
new bikes are just not worth it. at allllllllllllllllllllllll

#16 ·
One rule that I have concerning buying a vehicle, NEVER buy new, minimum is 3 years or older, let some other sucker pay the 50%+ depreciation.. lots of low mile skooters out there at a good price.. ant I also tend to shy away from first year production runs.
Luck

#43 ·
+1 I always look for one-owner with low miles and never get the first year of a new generation!

You're good man lol. I start a job next week. Nothing great considering I'll be making around half of what I did. O well, shit happens.
Good Luck to you man, I went through similar after a lay off and divorce. Things will get better as long as you keep a plan going and keep yourself motivated!

First make sure you set aside at least $500-$1000 for small emergencies, deductables, etc. Also, set aside or build at minimum 3mo. pay in savings, for lay offs, etc. Then, if you must have a bike, at least spend less of the settlement on a 08-10 model and pay for the insurance in one annual payment, which is far cheaper. :cheers

#17 ·
It's been a good while since I've been on here. Still the same good stuff. Hit it rough for the last year or so. Got laid off, lost my house, found a job a few months later, then get laid off again. Anyways, I'm slowly starting to get back on my feet. Still broke and struggling but I am starting college in January so there's something to look forward too. AND, I should be getting my settlement from where I was rear ended by two people last year and it messed up three disks in my neck and back. Anyways, I have been looking around at some bikes. I will be able to get back on my feet and well ahead with this settlement and I want to ride again so bad I can taste it. I looked at the new 2013 GSX-R's 750 online and they look pretty good. Just not to many color options in my opinion. What do you guys think?
I should be back ahead and stable when I get this settlement. I was thinking about buying used as well. I still have my old gear from my old bike so there's less money. A lot of you might not remember me because I wasn't really a big poster on here. I mostly just read stuff unless I had a question.
Buying a brand new bike with cash makes plenty of sense... :rolleyes

#19 · (Edited)
There is no need to flame, a poor decision is a poor decision no matter how it is looked at. To even consider moving forward with buying a motorcycle with cash up front after losing, job, house, new job and then laid off is just straight up stupid. Can you eat a motorcycle if hungry, can you sleep on a motorcycle outside on a cold winters night, etc?

#21 ·
cant teach to someone who does not want to learn. simple as that.

#27 ·
Lol reality? I've been in reality. I never said I was going tomorrow to get one. I said in the future. I've slept in my car for weeks at a time when I was laid off and lost my place. Nothing new ti me if I have to again. I've slept on floors, couches, wherever I could. Nothing new or a big deal. You do what you have sometimes. But again, I NEVER said I was going to go buy one tomorrow or next week. I simply said I was looking at them and looking at buying one in the future. If you don't like what I say, don't read it. Simple as that. No one forced you to read anything I wrote.

#38 ·
The OP could have written his opening remarks in a way that wouldn't be misinterpreted. That's almost impossible considering how people react to what's written. (Including me)

Instances like this remind me of what I learned in the military that applies to life:

"Say what you mean and mean what you say."

As soon as the OP read the intent of those replying, he should have squashed it. It's something we all have to learn and do learn while on this site.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.