Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Port & Polish???

18K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  TwistedMister 
#1 ·
What are the Pros and Cons?
Am I right saying it's about a 5-10 HP gain?
Is the gain noticible enough to tell when riding?
Last of all, is it worth the money and what is the average price you guys are payin?
thanks

2003 GSX-R 600 street/drag

#3 ·
port and polish on a 600cc bike, especially a 2003 GSXR-600, will only yield 2-3hp tops and thats with a lot of tuning.

The 600 heads are already extremely efficient and there is not much room for improvement.

This information came to be from Kevin Hunt personally.

#6 ·
has anybody read the new super street bike magazine? they took an 04 600 and pushed it up 132 wheel horsepower. 2mm over bore with web cams and a kws port job.

#7 ·
i could definitly see narrowing the intake ports for velocity gains . more air is always good but having a venturi effect to help push it is an added gem !

also why not get some good performance cams.. install em and enjoy....or if you can find a way to alter your stock ones so that you would be able to degree them.. you can eliminate your vavle overlap and gain some torque..

might wanna talk to a machinist with the altering part .

#8 ·
Polish and port is only going to be worth a couple hp. But do a nice valve job, mil the head a tad and degree your cams....i would say 5+ hp is fair.

I was told this same work done to a GSXR1000 head would gain a solid 10-15hp.

Yes you will feel a 5hp gain. not like going from a 600 to a 750 by any means. But like going from a 97 GSXR600 to a 2001.

#12 ·
You do want a semi-rough texture to the intake ports(not real rough, kinda like sand paper, sorta) and a polish on the exhaust side. The roughtness doesn't keep from the fuel puddling(that has to do a lot with injector angle), but it helps sustain good atomization of the air fuel mixture. the better the atomiztion(how well the fuel mixes with the air) the more efficient the combustion.

#14 ·
you want to get as much turbulance in the intake as posible to get the air swirling in the clynder. what is a knife edge? and polish the crank? in my time in small engines i have herd alot but havent herd that one.
Knife edging crank refers to machining the counterweights on the crank to make them thinner so they can pass thru the oil mist with less drag. See:
http://www.racecranks.com/

Polishing is micro polishing the bearing journals.

Jay

#15 ·
you want it to spin up remove the weights then balance it to a gnats ass, you also will want to balance everything else on the crank, bearings, nuts, bolts, rings, rods, washers, pistons, everything, by balancing from rod up I mean so each rod with piston and rings assembled weigh exactly the same, there are tricks to it.

otherwise if one barrel weighs more it will bring the crank back out, do it all as one and any gear or stator connected to the ends of the crank, thats REAL important

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.