Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

I'm not scared of heights but......

4K views 80 replies 23 participants last post by  Goobersbro 
#1 ·
Starts at 45 seconds

Fuck that.

I think it is Joe that does this for a living, crazy bastard.

#2 ·
Pitbulled, at least twice :lol still crazy high

picture unrelated, but fitting? :shifty

#7 ·
I dont go quite that high, but I would. Highest I go is a bit over 300ft.

The spec on the left edge on top is me. The spec on the right next two the two jib booms are a co worker. This is right at 300ft. Those are full grown pine trees behind the tank :D

#11 ·
Joe, do you do that when it's windy, or just call it a day?

#13 ·
Lol agreed I work up to 80ft and that can be sketchy but then again that's off a boom lift. If I was on a tower I think I would be more comfortable

#19 ·
If i got paid mad money, id probably do it. I kinda like heights. The only thing that would suck, would be the time it would take to have to climb all the way up and then back down.

#20 ·
The only thing that would suck, would be the time it would take to have to climb all the way up and then back down.
At least you'd be getting paid for it. You could stop and eat a sandwich along the way, :shifty but dont drop it though. That said, out of boredom Id probably start carrying shit I no longer care about to drop from the top, and see how it looks when I got back down. :lol

#22 · (Edited)
I saw this a few months back and thought they prob get paid good so I googled it... 12-30hr and the 30 is on the high and only a few states average is about 20hr. Then the death rate of about 10 a year which is mostly cell phone towers it seems with at&t leading the way on that. (My job gives me too much net surfing time) fuck all that. No way id just piss my self daily and need rescued all the time

Edit: oh and they get hit by lightning
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#23 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm a bitch. I honestly get nervous just watching this video. nevermind the toolbag...I wanna know how he manages to climb with such huge balls!

#25 ·
Hey you climb too Joe? Very cool! Me too. I work for an internet service provider who caters to rural areas where DSL, Fiber, etc is not available. Only way we can get high speed to them is by wireless signals from a 300ftish (varies depending on where our transmitter is) tower on top of a mountain. Talk about some beautiful views!!! Especially since I am lucky enough to be climbing a tower on top of one of the tallest peaks in VA with a generous view of the Shenandoah Valley! Climbing in the fall is just breathtaking.

Only downside is when its sunny and 50* at the bottom of the mountain and 25* at the top and snowing/sleeting with 40+mph winds! ahhh. :cursing That day SUCKED!! And got the frostbite to prove it. Wont see me climbing in that weather anymore. Was just plain dumb and dangerous

#26 ·
I work on water towers. The structure itself. But I also build the corals and structure that the cell/communications equipment is mounted to.

Elevated iron work.

I do get to see awesome views though. From.beaches to mountainsm . FL AL GA SC NC VA KY. I work all over the southeast

#27 ·
Oh ok, cool. I dont mess with the structure :nono I mess around with the equipment mounted TO the structure. I wish I was able to travel though. That'd be pretty cool. Our service area is only from Galax, VA up to Swoope, VA with a few scattered in WV. Pretty limited. I also want to climb a 500+ ft tower sometime. Ive only been up to 270ft. :banghead

#31 ·
And it is honestly nothing to me. No different than any other blue collar job.

I'd rather this than do anything involving road work or work near the road. THOSE dudes are crazy.

#32 ·
Yup.

It is all mental. And relative.

There is no difference in a ladder ten feet off the ground and 200ft.

It is just mental

#33 ·
I was actually kind of surprised that that climbing a 1/4 mile up into the sky without a harness is allowable by OSHA. I've seen some of their regulations that seemed alot more stringent for alot less danger.

#36 ·
Its not always. The laws are all written odd. Most of the time you are supposed to be hooked to a cable that will catch you. But in some instances that is not possible. Then with just pegs for rungs you can't tie to those anyway... hooks would just bounce off.

It depends greatly on type of structure and all.

#34 ·
Thanks guys and wow I thought you would be on a hell of alot more than than.

So (joes answered I believe) If you turned up to a job and it was the tower in the video, would you both do the climb?

#35 ·
Absolutely. 20ft, 200ft, 2000ft. Its all the same to me.:dunno

I dread then2000 only because that is a motherfucker of a climb

#43 ·
Fuck all that. Peg ladder with no cable grab? I'm free climbing.

Fuck a double lanyard for 1000ft

#44 ·
Hey not saying it wouldnt suck or take FOREVER to climb. :lmao But def the most safe way.

#45 ·
I disagree. The effort it would take to double lanyard that far makes it less safe than just climbing

And osha agrees with me :D

#46 ·
:lmao and OSHA is ALWAYS in the right.....:shifty

Granted Id prob start out double clipped thinking its safer, but eventually get tired of it and go free. LOL. It def is a pain in the ass and no argument here that it wears you out much quicker. Just talking safety in the event of a fall. Chances of a fall are super slim though. Usually have to be dicking off or in very bad weather for anything to go wrong as long as you're watching your hand/foot placement.

#47 ·
I jump from 1200 ft... it's awesome looking out the door of a C-17/UH-60/C-130/C-212 etc. from that height... airborne!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.