Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

How often do you check your fuel filter?

6K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  COMEBACK 
#1 ·
Below are some pics on how mine looked like on my 07 750 race bike. Bike started to running rough and started by pulling the fuel filter and surprised it got any fuel at all :eek:hmy

Bike has been on the street in Korea (around 7000km) and after that on track in Thailand........shitty fuel maybe, but thought I'd share as a maintenance tip
:cheers

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Damn....that makes me wanna check mine today!!!

Yeah, how in the hell did it get dog hair in there???

#5 ·
How can you tell if that's actually dog hair there? C'mon, that's plain old nasty thailand/korean sht.

I've realized that Koreans actually do eat dogs. I wonder if it's somehow related with dog hair in the gas?

#8 ·
I wouldn't do that if the fuel flow is within limits and if the fuel pump holds fuel pressure.

Don't think it's a good idea to tear down the pump just because you saw that nasty pics on the internet (even for the bike with 7k km on the clock).

In other words don't fix it if it's not broken ;)

#9 ·
I checked mine 3 years in, it looked perfectly clean, 0 dirt on it. :dunno Yours looks like shit I would find under my couch cushions!

#16 ·
If the following things are within limits:

1) fuel flow
2) fuel pressure when the pump is on
3) fuel pressure drop after specific amount of time (like 30 sec or so) after the pump is switched on

Then you shouldn't worry.

If you are scared by the pics from the 1st post then feel free to remove the tank, remove the pump, disassemble it and inspect filters.

#15 ·
^^ what he said I am getting some throttle response issues and when the pump primes it sounds off sometimes. As the bike is 6 years old and i got it it would be nice to know for peace of mind?? I use only the highest quality gas but have only owned it for 4 months now.

#18 ·
You just measure how many liters are pumped in a given amount of time. All numbers and procedures are well described in the service manual for your bike.

#19 ·
I should add that the bike won a couple of races with the filter like that. Bike felt mostly fine, but very on/off throttle. Now it is crisp and smooth.

Might also add that the fuel comsumption dropped dramatically with a clean filter.

#20 ·
I should add that the bike won a couple of races with the filter like that. Bike felt mostly fine, but very on/off throttle. Now it is crisp and smooth.
Clogged fuel filter doesn't affect low end at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.