Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

GSXR-600 Starter bike?

5K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  LeMans 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I've been researching alot on what would be a good starter bike, I use to ride dirt bikes alot when I was younger so the basic mechanics I have down, its the transition from dirt to street is huge. I don't want to start off too powerful or too light, I mean I dont want a bike I would get bitten by the speed bug and kill myself, but I dont want a bike thats barely creeping along. I visited the dealer, and was told a 1000c bike is fine, as the Gixxxer 1000 has an A , B , C mode in witch you govern speed, but I personally feel my level is at a 600c bike. I would appreciate your opinions as you are everyday riders. I'm around 6'2, 240 and plan on taking the MSF course.

Appreciate it
-rob

#4 ·
Wow! 1000cc suggested by the dealer. They must really want you to die. :)

Anyways If you have proper experience then a 600 would be okay but i always recommend a 500cc or smaller bike for starting riders.

Its better to outgrow your bike than to die trying to get used to your bike.

But then again its just my .02.

#8 ·
Cestode said:
No it's not a good starter bike. A 250 is a good starter bike. Pick one up used, beat the hell out of it for 1 yr and then get something else.
Well I didnt plan on getting a brand new Gixxer, I just dont want to get a small bike as a big guy and feel dicked around on it. But I guess better smaller and dicked around then dead.

#10 ·
Cestode said:
No it's not a good starter bike. A 250 is a good starter bike. Pick one up used, beat the hell out of it for 1 yr and then get something else.
+1000

don't start on a supersport bro. you will learn faster and be a better rider in the end if you start on something that is easier to ride. at this point, just work on the basics. you don't need a SS for that. dirtbike experience from childhood in no way prepares you for a SS. the dealer is typical in his approach; they could care less if you kill yourself pulling out from the place... they just want your money.

as suggested, try a GS500 or SV650 to start. ride it for a year, and as long as you don't trash it you should be able to dish it off for about what you paid. then get the SS.

#11 ·
Get the 600. Take a rider course right away. A bike is a bike. A 250 won't do you any favors when you need to move out and get in front. You're more likely to get flattened by a dummy on the phone in an SUV that can easily outrun a 250. Ever see the HP numbers on the new SUV's? These things are churning out in the 200HP range. The Porsche Cayenne turbo is like over 400HP. Still want that 250?. A 600 will give you the power you need. Just take your time and learn to handle it in a parking lot as much as possible.

#13 ·
I started on a 600 and have had no problems YET. I took the MSF and rode several buddies bikes before buying. I am also 28 with lots of things to live for that I think about while riding to keep me responsible. You are 17 right???? At 17 I would have killed myself on a 600. 600's are fast!!!!! Most 17 year olds are no where near responsible to stay out of the trouble the 600 can whip up.

I usually think a 600 is a good starter bike because that is where most I know started out at but not for you dude. Scale it back a little. You have plently of time.
Your dealer should be shut down if they sell you the 1000!!!!!!!!

#15 ·
The 600 is my first street bike and its been an absolutely awesome bike to learn on. I have about 10 years of dirt bike experience beforehand so the shifting, braking, acceleration, etc. all felt completely normal and natural.

I say definately go for the 600 if you are really comfortable on a dirt bike. I really dont think its the bike that gets you into a lot of trouble, I think its people not being used to having 1000% situational awareness on the streets, I swear, you need to be able to see 5-10 seconds into the future to ride a street bike.

Go for it, get gear, take it slow. Dont be a Valentino Rossi on Main St.

#22 ·
i started out on an 06 600 a year ago. No problems yet. One dealer i went to tried to get me and my buddy started on brand new 1000rr's. We each ended up on 600s, him on 600rr and me on gsxr. Id say go for the gsxr. Im 6'3'' about 200 and i dont have any problems on it.

#23 ·
A GSX-R600 and a 1000 differ in less than a second from 0 to 130's so spare me the which bike is fast enough for my height and weight BS
If you are telling the truth, and you are 17 years old and you were riding many years ago......so what, when you were 8 or 10 then definitely go for a ninja 250 or a GS500.
If you are lying and you are actually a little more mature (no disrespect) and have had some experience on dirt bikes.....like a YZ250 (not like a CR-80) then you should get one of the following
Yamaha FZ6, Suzuki Sv650, or if you are outside the USA get a Suzuki GSR600

The reason being that all these have very good power (R6 detuned engine for more torque on the Yamaha, nice torque on the SV and a FZ6 like engine on the GSR)
Also the can all turn like a dirt bike (unlike a GSXR which only leans to turn) have power close to 100 horses, excellent handling and you will probably be quicker than if you had a GSXR, as the latter is a race replica and can only excel in such conditions.....perfect pavement smooth turns....etc.
And since your object is not really to drag your knee from what I understand, you are way better off with one of the above choices as they are more city friendly, cheaper, upright riding position, better weather protection, more economical.....I can go on and on, like I said unless you are into looks only or dragging your knee, you are better off staying away from an R6 or GSXR...etc., as they are very uncofortable and only good at what they were made for.
If you have noticed people learn to fly on Cessna's not F16's

Here are some pics of the above, that to me makes more sense for anyone to buy if that was their 2nd or 3rd bike they have had.

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
I'd go with the SV650 which is a very forgiving bike. Not slow but not super fast either. My oldest son started on one with no problems and he out grew it in about a year or so. It"s good for hitting the twisties with as well and you can get them pretty cheap. Also there are lots of them around to pick from.

I rode a lot as a kid on a dirt bike. Then later on got a 72 Yamaha 500 Blue (1976) and after that picked up a 72 yamaha 650 (1980) for a year or so. I didn't ride then for over 20 years and got the bug again and picked up a FZ1000 in 2004. I loved that bike. I finally got my 06 GSXR 750.

#25 ·
Robo,
If you know your limitations and respect the full potential of the bike then the GSXR 600 would be fine. In fact, any bike will do. As long as YOU know your limits! I have a GSXR750 as a starter bike. I have yet to feel the full potential of the bike and at this point I have no interest in knowing. I like the bike for it's rideability and looks. Don't let pure pressure get you to do something YOU know isn't worth doing. Period!

#26 ·
This is a good starter bike. Just slap some perrilli on those and your good to go.You'll learn much quicker than those who started on 600 or 1000. Whats funny is when you pass up the 600 and 1000 in the hills :lol I've seen it done many times...... as I am living proof :D I hope you don't but in case you do dump your bike, it won't be a total lost. Also its more fun and better experience to be able to move up on cc. whats after a 1000cc bike? a busa that looks like a "whale's dick"

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.