Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Want to replace my MC with an R6 Front Master Cylinder question????

15K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Just_Nick 
#1 ·
Heyyy people!

I am wanting to replace my stock 2008 gsxr 600 master cylinder with a new yamaha front master cylinder. i still ride my bike on the streets and will need the brake switch to still work. Will my stock brake switch plug work with the yamaha brake switch plug?

I would be purchasing a 2006 or newer master cylinder. Is there one year that is better than the other years?

Appreciate any advice on this question! Thanks Ya'll :thumbup

#2 ·
Honestly it's kind of a moot mod - the Yamaha MC does say Brembo on it but it's not nearly as good as the aftermarket Brembos and not significantly better than the stock GSX-R MC. So unless you get an aftermarket Brembo MC, don't bother :dunno

#4 · (Edited)
Then you may be able to squeeze it even further with an R6 master cylinder. Don't forget, the R6 master is pushing against smaller pistons in the caliper (30mm and 27mm), your calipers have larger pistons in them (34mm and 30mm). 16mm master cylinder is smaller than 3/4 inch

Pushing the same fluid volume against larger surface area will make for less power at the lever.

#6 ·
I have steel brake lines. I have done a good bleed on them. They just are not as stiff as I would like them to be. The newer brakes on the 11 gsxr are really stiff. I want that type of brake and I know you can change out the mc with an r6 mc I have heard of people doing it before and have loved the result..

#7 ·
I have steel brake lines. I have done a good bleed on them. They just are not as stiff as I would like them to be. The newer brakes on the 11 gsxr are really stiff. I want that type of brake and I know you can change out the mc with an r6 mc I have heard of people doing it before and have loved the result..
Placebo effect (and the fresh fluid they get at the same time) is strong. It's just the same as when people are like "OMFG X tire is SOOO much better than Y tire that I had before" - disregarding that the old tire was squared off with threads showing and 15 psi low...

If you want REAL results, get the aftermarket Brembo:

https://www.motomummy.com/store/product.php?productid=17194&cat=294&page=1

#9 ·
No - because there is a hell of a difference between the aftermarket Brembos and the OEM parts on Yamahas and the new Suzukis. And like SPL posted above, the Yamaha MC is designed for smaller pistons so less volume.

#11 ·
So do you think the brembo master cylinder 19x18 will be a more powerful braking level then the R6?

It's just soooo expensive :( wahhhhh

If there's anything from the R6's brake system that you might want to swap over I would say go with the calipers. They are monoblock, a couple hundred grams lighter than the GSXR OEM calipers, and the fact that the pistons in them are smaller, means that when they are mated to your stock master cylinder it will give a firmer feel at the lever (after you've properly bled the system with fresh fluid).

Put it to you this way, on my 1K I have an aftermarket 19x18 Brembo, R6 calipers with Vesrah SRJL17 pads and Galfer lines. When properly bled the lever is harder then calculus and 1 finger hauls it down from 160mph before you can blink.

Reactions: El Fenix
#12 ·
You can't even compare oem brembo to aftermarket brembo.

I wouldn't bother with the master cyl unless you do go to aftermarket one. For most people though good pads, lines, and a damn good bleed job is enough.

016 oem tires are nothing like their aftermarket tires, same goes with most brembo oem, ohlins oem, etc. The list goes on and on. Very few bikes come with those names and have the true aftermarket parts on them.

#17 ·
Yeah his brakes are worse then mine.... hmmm..maybe he just needs to rebleed his. His bike has 35,000 miles on it, he has Vesrah SRJL17 pads and steel brake lines..but still has horrible brake fade on the track. He says he has too much play in his brakes. Even when you go into the dealership of brand new gsxr's, if you squeeze hard enough you can touch the lever to the throttle, but when you go to squeeze the r6's you can maybe get half way.

#19 ·
I have the Brembo RCS 19 master, R6 calipers, braided lines, and SRJL pads. Really nice setup, and not that pricey. Can't imagine needing them to be any better. I really don't know if the R6 calipers work better than the GSXR calipers, but it is WAY easier to get them off to get the front wheel off without scratching it up, and I certainly don't need them to work any better. Like many have stated above, getting the cheesy R6 "Brembo" master will get something on your bike that says Brembo, but it probably won't work any better.

#21 ·
If you gonna change MC might as well get an aftermarket Brembo. I have a 19x20 on my busa, with SS lines Vesrah RJLs and some wave rotors. 1 finger will lift the rear.

I also have an 07 600 with just SS lines and I have no problem stoping from 100+, It doesn't have the feel of the Brembo but it gets nice and firm about half way to the bar.

#24 ·
On my 675 I have the Brembo 19RCS Master, Brembo Calipers (and pads) and Galfer Superbike Rotors (and BST Wheels). Not only does the damn thing stop on a dime, but the feel and control is ridiculous.

You have to remember there is more to having good brakes other than just outright stopping power.

Reactions: El Fenix
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.