Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

GSXR 98 Srad fuel and vaccum pipe instalation

14K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  cobramadness 
#1 ·
Hello new owner of a 98 srad new member to the forums il try to explain in best detail i can basically i purchased a 98 srad. i have had some troubles main trouble would be bike bogging @5k+ rev's ive replaced plugs cleaned carbs replaced air filter etc the normal works, here is my question on the fuel tank i have a fuel pipe which i know goes into the carburetor but on the Vaccum line? i think the second line that goes to the carb or just below the carb its split into 2 piece with a black part in the middle of the line and it looks like it has a third nipple coming off it it looks like this
(PIPE)====^====(PIPE)
dont know if that makes sense to you guys but should i have a pipe or something coming off in between the 2 that go to the vaccum? if im talking about the right thing to make more sense of what im trying to ask i can take photos of what im talking about if its necesary thanks for taking the time for reading this and i hope you can help me out ive searched and read countless servie manuals but i dont see anything regarding my issue

#4 ·
They are for the air solenoids. Lh goes to cylinders 1+3 rh goes cylibders2+4. There is then a tube that connects to the air box. Make sure the y piece that comes off the top of the carbs also connects to the air box.

#7 ·
I would take a picture but I don't have that on my bike anymore

#9 ·
That connects to the air box. With out it it will not idle right. Just found my old solenoids will put a pic up

#10 ·
#11 ·
sorry it will not display having issues with comp and phone

#12 ·
Your pic i think i have all that your showing ive marked some questions on the pic, but the pipe im having trouble trying to figure out is the pipe in the earlier photos 1 end goes into the engine block beneath the carb then the black bit in the middle then the other half of the pipe goes into the petcock under the tank check the pic let me know what you think thanks alot for helping me
>>>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#13 ·
All the small hose go to each carb lh solenoid goes to carbs 1+3 rh solenoid goes to carbs 2+4. The air box hose I made up as mine was perished. The hose off the bottom of the petcock goes to a tapping on the cylinder block.

#14 ·
Ok so the part in the pic where i say "this part is non-existent on my hose" im suppose to attach a hose that can feed into the airbox? and the 2 small lines with open ends they are breathers or belong in the airbox aswell? the very small hoses go into the carbs and you stated earlier? if thats all correct the hose that comes from the petcock to the cylinder block with the black bit in the middle where does that go? if easier i could upload more pics or vids if necesary yto make more sens what im trying to figure out

#15 ·
Let's deal with petcck first. Small tapping on bottom of petcock is the vacuum. Hose from here to cylinder block. The fuel hose then goes from big tapping to carb 2(fit inline fuel filter if there is not one present)brass inlet.

#16 ·
Now to air solenoids. Each solenoid feeds 2 carbs. Lh solenoid feeds carbs 1+3(there is a small bent tapping on each carb) rh solenoid feeds carbs 2+4. The bit that goes to the air box yes you need to make up a hose/buy it to connect both solenoids to the air box.

Check the front of air box there should be a hose connected there as well.

#17 ·
ok the bike has inside filter so tick tht box the larger pipe is fitted tick that box the smaller hose that fits to the cylinder block is split into two parts 1 half black bit in middle other half in black bit and plugged into small petcock nipple on tank tick that box

#18 ·
The 2 pipes that come off the carb that connect into the airbox is there aswell the only confusing part i find is the black bit in between the vaccum hose unless maybe i pull that black bit off and put a hose from in between the vac hose into the airbox maybe?

#19 ·
The filter inside the tank is useless. You will find most if not all have an inline filter fitted.. Personally previous owner might have had issues and got them selves lost. Each solenoid has three connections one from the air box and two for the carbs.

#21 ·
Remove the tee piece from the vacuum line and connect to petcock.

Go to halfords they do a small inline filter and cut it into the fuel line.

Looks like you will be done then

#22 ·
Listen to to me...... My answers are the truth.
Picture 1: that plastic barb doesn't belong there, that line should go straight to petcock and supply vacuum to open it when motor is running. It is why I didn't answer your original post, when dj said it was part of the solenoids..... It doesn't belong on your bike. (he has been doing a great job helping yo)
Picture 2: yes he wants you to put a filter there, I disagree, as I think that people should pull the fuel pump, clean the stock filter, maintain the tank, rather than put a band-aid on it, but that's ok.
Picture 3:yes,connects to the rh rear of the airbox, and supplies air to the solenoids.

#24 ·
ok just saw your response ccm thanks for the input both of you guys il get those jobs done then so when the rpevious owner had this runner my solenoids have been having no air drawn to them it seems could that cause any additional problems? and the tee piece in the vac line looks it was some kind of extention for the line maybe 1more question could any of this bad hosing cause a possible bogging issue i have had it happens at around 5k+ and the bike really struggles to keep going

#31 ·
maybe 1more question could any of this bad hosing cause a possible bogging issue i have had it happens at around 5k+ and the bike really struggles to keep going
dunno if that setup has the pressurized flaot style or not but if it does be sure to go through that make sure its, unobstructed, sealed and all plugged in

the hesitation, stall, and run crappy round5k is a prognosis of that system failing, to diagnose you could unplug both ram air toobs and if it goes away thats it for sure!!!

GL

#26 ·
Cheers Chris. I've been at home all week recovering from pneumonia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.