Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

weird noise when it starts

12K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  rv6john 
#1 ·
I changed the stator in my bike today. I bought a used one off ebay that was tested and said worked. I replaced it my self and put it back together and went to start it. When the starter turned to start the bike it sounded completely different starting than it did before. It started but it kinda had a loud whining noise. But after it started the noise stops. I heard this sound before on my buddys 2009 gixxer 750 but thought that was just the way his bike sounded when it started.

#2 ·
Does it do it each time you start the bike or did it just do it one time? (the first start after your repair work)

If it were my bike, I'd pull the cover back off and make sure that the stator is not rubbing the magnets or that something didn't stick to the magnets on assembly and is hitting the stator.

#4 ·
It is the starter still turning after the bike has fired so the starter clutch is free spinning. It is pretty normal. You likely are just noticing it more because you made a change and are listening more.

But if it is extremely loud, then it could be the starter is not put together properly

#7 ·
To isntall a new stator, you had to remove the starter clutch assy. Id look closer at it, but again they all do it some.

Depending on how my bike is idled I will hear it more or less as well. Or how long it takes the engine to actually catch and fire will change how much I hear it.

#10 ·
The starter clutch (overrunning or sprag clutch) is actually bolted to the back of the rotor (the flywheel with the magnets). If you take the cover off, you should be able to move the large gear behind the rotor opposite the engine direction of rotation and it should move smoothly. It will lock up in the other direction.

The two other gears are idler/reduction gears. If you check the parts breakdown, there are a couple of spacers on the gear next to the starter output shaft. I don't know if they are left out if they will cause any interference or stange noises.

It's just me, but if I did this work on the bike and it made strange noises afterwards. I'd take it back apart to recheck my work.

#11 ·
:stupid

And yes, I technically was incorrect to say the starter clutch was part of what had to be removed to do the stator. The starter assy as a whole has to be removed, including the gears that drive the starter clutch.

And those spacers are very critical and commonly misplaced or incorrectly installed.

#13 ·
Having the same problem here..traded for the bike which was laid over and the generator cover had been replaced. Guy put one of the washers from the starter idler gear on the second idler gear and when the case was torqued it locked the gears up and wouldn't turn over with the starter. Fixed that problem and now when I start it the noise is way above what normal would be. It sounds and feels like the second idler gear is free wheeling out of control. It's got play back and forth on the shaft but what's the deal? When I rev the noise goes away and the bike runs fine. Only thing I can think of is are the shafts for the idler gears the exact same or is it possible they were switched? Waiting on a new gasket before cracking the case open again.

#15 ·
Re: Fixed

Found my issue, the stator bolts were loose enough to spin by finger. Cleaned everything up and put red locktite in and torqued down. Problem solved for anyone else that may be searching in the future.
This is the second instance that I have read about of the stator bolts being loose soon after stator replacment.

Loctite and proper torque should do the trick. (I know the manual doesn't specify loctite, but it can't hurt)

Glad you found the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.