Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Cracked boots/ 87 1100

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  ghostrider.1127 
#1 ·
Is there a tool or a way to remove the intake boots without pulling the motor?

I tried last night with a large Phillips tip in a socket and ratchet, no go. It started to slip so i stopped.

Bike is all stock and still has airbox.

I cracked the two inner boots removing the carbs so many times.:suicide

#4 ·
Did the bike had the airbox in? I have one of those but not enough room to work in.
I Know i'll scratch something if i pull the motor. Seems like everytime i work on that bike i F*** something up.

Also i couldn't find part numbers for those boots. I mean the numbers on the boots themselves.

#9 ·
One more Question for those guys that still have the airbox in their first gens.

Is there a way to remove the carbs that gives me enough room to slide them out, without crushing the airbox and intake boots on the way out and in?

The airbox slides back a bit but not enough. Maybe i've been doing it the wrong way for a while.

#12 ·
I always pull the velocity stacks out through the airbox and then there's lots of room to pull the carbs back and slide them out the right side of the bike. I've got the 29mm slides so they might be a bit smaller than the 31mm CV's though.

#13 ·
Thank you guys for the info.

Marko: I'll have to order it from the link above in the UK, because its discotinued here in the US. I haven't found a place the has the #1 boot.

Dangedog: I thought about that but with my luck i'll brake a fin. Pulling the motor down is not a big deal. I was just asking because i thought there was a tool that made the job easier.

awasson: Thanks for the tip. I'm buying the airbox boots also, so i'll have to try that.

#16 ·
Also, when you go to slide the boots back onto the carbs through the airbox, do the following.

1) Put the boots in hot water. I microwave or boil the water, pour it in a bowl and toss the boots in the water to soften them up.

2) Do the outside boot first and then the inside for each pair of carbs. You can do both outside's first and then the insides or outside, inside, outside, inside but it is much easier to do the outsides if the inside boots aren't there.

#17 · (Edited)
Hi there,
What size are your air box boots as im thinking i have the standard air box boots as I have a standard gsxr1100 86 which they measure at 51mm diameter but I have a 1127 head on my gsxr 1100 and the carb measures 63 mm .at the air box side so I'm thinking if I can used another years

Can you tell me which models might fit the 1127 carb ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.