Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

My SRAD 750, for trackday

17K views 53 replies 11 participants last post by  RuneCNR 
#1 ·
Hi,

This is my SRAD 750, bought few days ago, less than 22000 miles, of 1997.

This bike will be a 100% track bike, cheap for free practice and fun. :punk

For my fiber fairing I'm looking for the code of paint scheme... I've found "SILVER Y2D=G7V" but where buy the paint (in spray) ?

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly, I'd use a color card to find a matching instead. I assume you want to match the tank but chances are that the original paint has faded some within those 16 years. So instead of spending a bunch on something to match the original shade, just go with something cheaper that matches what it is now - especially on a trackday bike I wouldn't spend too much on paint :dunno

#3 ·
F.P...Do yourself a favor and find a cheap track/stunter tank and keep that pretty tank on the side to complete the set of bodywork.
I have seen many folks kick themselves once the fun was over, wishing they had not left the stock tank on for track duty.
She-ite happens so why not let it happen to an already damaged tank?
You may, one day, decide to go back to stock and you'll be glad you kept that nice tank to the side if/when you do.
This sobering reality check has been brought to you by The Sradiator..."Saving the planet 1 gsxr at a time!
(Even if he can't save himself!)

#6 ·
Sure, you are right about the color after 16 years old... I was looking spray because is cheaper; I don't need a glossy result, just a beautiful set not too much mixed colors :shifty
I agree with your answers, I will to look for a complete used fairing with tank for track and keep the street version :punk :cheers

#9 ·
Yessss this project progresses ! :punk

In purchase :
- oil (MOTUL Factory Line 100% synthesis), oil filter (oem), air filter (oem), spark plug (NGK cr9e), brake fluid (MOTUL rbf660), brake pads (CL Brakes XBK5+) : new
- steering damper Hyperpro top mount : "used" but new, old reference never mounted
- track fairing WITH a tank ;) : used but not crashed, no paintjob necessary "in emergency" :p
- Rear shock OEM : used 500 miles (before remove for an ohlins), for 25 dollars it's not a bad deal versus my crappy shock. Someone knows how many pressure is necessary in the shock ? I've heard 6 bars (87 psi), 10 bars (145 psi) it's not the same thing... :dunno

News pics ASAP after delivery of parts !

#10 ·
I know that's "only" a 750 and an "old" bike, but I'm very exciting !

Some news in the mail box :

And a brand new steering damper, never mounted :eek:hmy

#11 ·
Re: My SRAD 750,trackday / Pb with steering damper

Hello buddies,

Some news after a hard day of work :D
No bad surprises on the bike, happy to do this check up !

But bad surprise with the hyperpro :

When I turn the handlebar on the right it's ok, but when I turn it on the left, the end of the rod of steering damper (the scroll of setting) hurts the fairing support, located at the red cross on my picture. What's the solution ?

#15 ·
Thanks for very quick answers and ebay link ;)
This bike will be 100% for the track.

#16 ·
Just a little advise. If you think about using another gearing. Do not go more than 1 tooth down in the front sprocket, or the chain will come too close to the swingarm. Better to go extra up on the rear sprocket.
Good luck with your SRAD on the track, it is great fun :cheers

Here is my ex-SRAD:

#18 ·
I may need one too.......Broke the last one :suicide

Don't remember paying $160 for it though :scratch

#21 ·
Argh... 160 $ is the price I bought the Hyperpro :( bad news for my finance :hammer

Thanks for the advice RuneCNR ! Actually, the bike have this gearing : 15 x 46, with a speedohealer. Short on the road, good for some tracks, but a 16 front sprocket will be better for Paul Ricard track ;) :punk .
I hope to build a Srad as good as yours !

#22 ·
New episode !

OEM Top Fairing Stay Mount - used: 25-30 $
Race Top Fairing Stay Mount : 150 $

So, I decided to try some modifications... for 2mm, with a lime and some paint :

For only fairing, I think that it would be strong enough, and not dangerous to try.

I wanted mod the throttle gas too, as on my 750 k7, and don't buy a complete quick throttle. But it was already done by the former owner :

And I received the "new" rear shock :

#25 ·
Of course the stock is not the better choice for performance... I don't wait miracles, juste safe riding. This bike is not for races, it's a second bike after my 1000 k8, just for fun on track. For 20 bucks it wasn't a bad deal... Ohlins/Hyperpro/EMC/Bitubo/WhitePower used cost 500-600 dollars. In worst case, I've a contact (preparator) who can modify it for 150 dollars approximately; except if I found a very good deal on a Ohlins or other... But Santa Claus was at home the last month only :lol:

#27 ·
Re-start for the rear shock...
Before remove mine, I just took some measures and the "new" was shorter, spring shorter, preload nut different... After searching, it's a rear schock of 2000-2003 gsxr. :nono
A rebuilt kit is still possible, but the bike will be disassembled for 2 or 3 weeks. I will looking for another solution during few days before to do my choice. :shifty

Small consolation of the day, I've found used rearsets in good conditions. :wait

#29 ·
Some news, I've received rearsets :

Weights are just for fun, stock rearsets = 1174 grs.

Next week: rebuilt of fork and rear shock, maybe tuned by a preparator, with new springs at my weight.

#31 ·
SRAD always in progress :cheers

Last week it was the brake, pads, axis, etc.

I've received tires too, 120/70 and 190/55 (better on 6" wheel than the 180). Michelin Power Cup VB (medium) and C (hard) for abrasive track and spring/summer temperatures.

Fork is ready, but I'm waiting the rear spring. So I prepare track fairing before installing suspensions :punk

#33 ·
say, did you remove the tank and what not?

wanna make some sort of deal on those plastics?

I have an all black straight set I'll trade you along with some cash, that way you will have a good track tank and street plastic in case you wanna revert..

I'm just a horrible painter and very partial to stock schemes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.