Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Brake feel on 2011 GSXR 750...

8K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Workshirk 
#1 ·
Ok so I just bought a new 2011 GSXR 750… and so far I love the bike… feels good turns good etc… the one thing I hate is the brake feel… I am specifically taking about the lever feel. I pretty much have to pull the lever almost to the throttle before it really starts to break.

Now I have owned a 2010 R1 and currently have a 2007 R6 as my dedicated track bike and the brake lever feel on both of those bikes was amazing… I did upgrade pads and went with steel braided lines but even before doing that the brakes still felt very good.

The only thing I can think that is causing the issue is the master cylinder both the R1 and R6 come stock with a Brembo master… The GSXR has a Nissin and I’m not very familiar with their brake components… this is my first GSXR since my 1994 model lol….

So I guess the question here is do you think swapping the master out will fix the brake level feel issue I am having… I also do plan on getting steel braided lines so would do those at the same time.

Any thoughts… any other 2011 750 owners have the same issue??
Also anyone know if I can just get an R6 used brembo master cylinder and use it on GSXR? If that is possible would probably be the most cost effective way to go…

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I decided to take a closer look at the front brake issue and figure for the hell of it I would bleed the brakes...

After changing the fluid and bleeding them ensuring that all the air was purged from the lines the brakes feel 90% better can't say they feel as good as my old R1 of R6 but close for sure... good enough for street use anyway.

Next on the list is changing all the fluids and checking all bolts lol... I don't trust the dealership at all… not after leaving with the bike only having about 20lbs of front tire pressure “wouldn’t turn for crap” and now the brakes bleeding issue, I will be going over the bike with a fine tooth comb.

#3 ·
I know your brakes feel better and all, but look into some aftermarket levers. I have ASV levers for my 08 gsxr 750 and they changed the feel of the whole bike. Now it feels just crispy.. even the lever made the brake pulling distance less if that's what ur worried about

#6 ·
I have a 2011 600 and my buddy has a 2012 750, and both of us were disappointed with the lever feel and braking power.... at first. You MUST bed the pads in before you can expect full feel and braking power. The manual states 600 miles before they are bedded. It took me a couple of track days to really feel the difference. Now they are amazing, and I regularly stab people in the corners.

#8 ·
Some lever free play is normal and needed.

Using my how to on bleeding brakes the best way I have found (just because you think they are bled right the old school way they likely aren't) has helped a lot of people. It us stickied in the miss and how to section of the site.

#12 ·
He's right about replacing the master cylinder. Some master cylinders on some years of gsx-r's were known for this problem. The piston allows a small amount of air to leak in over time. The longer the bike sits, the more it happens. Some had success with a rebuild kit. I did like by buddy who raced a HP BMW and put a zip tie on the lever with it partially squeezed whenever stored. I knew that if I were going to race WERA I couldn't change out the master with a Brembo. CCS allows this and with my limited racing and problem getting worse I bought a used r6 (Brembo) master off Ebay. There are two different ratios to choose from if you buy new. IIRC the preferred one was a 16x18 but you'd better check on that before you take my word for it. Yes, bleeding the brakes will fix it, for now, but eventually you will grow tired of this as I did. So you may want to use this time wisely to shop around for a good used master cylinder....

#13 ·
So glad I found this thread!!!

Hey I know EXACTLY what you are talking about and just last night I ran into an article for the 2014 gsxr 750 that I have. They compared it the the MV, duc and kawai mid weight class.

I thought I was crazy at first, but I've done a few track days on my L4 and every session after about 5 laps the brake would Start to fade and feel soft. Now this also happens to be my street bike and I've never had a problem with it on the street, but I also don't break nearly as hard on street than I do at the track. I even have vesrah rjls and galfer steel braided lines. I believe its the front master cylinder and I'm looking into get an R6 master cylinder but I don't know anything about how to convert it or if anyone has done it. So can anyone help out lol.

The article was by motorcycle USA so I'm sure you can find it online.

#14 ·
I have an L5 750 and the brakes, (on track) were utter garbage with the level coming back to the bar after just a couple of laps. I tried SBS sintered pads, which give better feel but do nothing for the lever ’squish’. Next came Goodridge hoses which again made for better feel but again, did nothing for the shitty squish. I eventually punted for a Hel master cylinder and all I can say is holy f**k! I know have the brakes I should have had all along on a 21st century bike! Hel m/cyls are obviously span adjustable but also have an interchangeable pivot setting to reduce/increase the hydraulic ratio👍🏻

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.