Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

New to the forum, and new to a gsxr

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Diablo9420 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 03 gsxr 1000 yesterday, already fell in love with it, still has me on the edge, but its away for the winter and im ready to do some stuff, it has some aftermarket work done already, yoshi header, voodoo slip on, smog pump delelte, timing retard something (forgot what its called)and a few other things i dont remember, but thenvoodoo pipe as nice as it is, is rather loud and i dont want a ticket and i really like the the yoshi trc pipe, will the bolt-on or slip-on work on my bike since its designed for a 05-06?

#4 ·
Ok i have a few questions if anyone can chime in, the bike will be sitting in my friends garage until april/may, should i drain the gas or keep the gas in and start it like once a week? Leave the old dirty oil in and change it before i start riding it or change it now? Im putting new plugs in and i was curious if the iridium are worth the extra $? Any other winter maintnance i should be aware of (new to the whole store something for a winter, this is my 2nd bike and i got my first one in june of this year so i dont know much about storing stuff) im putting it on a trickle charger tomorrow so i got that covered.

Also anything i should know of or be warned about these bikes/any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, im here to learn and help, and love knowledge so yea thanks

#5 ·
Fill the gas tank to the brim add fuel stabilizer. Run the bike to get the gas in there and top it back off, it helps prevent rust in the tank. And yes change the oil asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
Fuel stabilizer will keep the gas from separating which means it won't get nasty and start to gum things up. You really shouldn't need to run injector cleaner if you run the bike for a little with the stabilizer in it before its stored. It won't kill it if you decide to but probably won't be necessary. Just a reminder change that oil and filter before you start your bike or let it sit over winter.

#9 ·
Not really necessary. Some people do it I personally don't. If you got the time I don't see why not.

#10 ·
Well im having trouble removing the gas tank, so i can put new plugs in it, do i take it off the swivel or is there an easier way? which plugs would you recommend regular ngks or the iridium ones? and what should the idle be at? when the temp guage is at 190 degrees or so it (im guessing thats warmed up) its at like 1500 but it jumps around a little not much +- 150rpm, i think its because it has k&n air filters and an exhaust and its not tuned for them, idk im not a bike expert lol

#15 ·
...and what should the idle be at? when the temp guage is at 190 degrees or so it (im guessing thats warmed up) its at like 1500 but it jumps around a little not much +- 150rpm, i think its because it has k&n air filters and an exhaust and its not tuned for them, idk im not a bike expert lol
Idle should be around 13-1400 rpm when warm so you are in the ballpark. It will fluctuate a bit - that is normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.