Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Question for white leather wearers.

4K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Kekoa 
#1 · (Edited)
I am contemplating getting the Alpinestar TZ-1 Jacket. I really like the white and black combo, but is it a hassle to keep the white clean? Wanted to get your opinions from you guys / gals.

Just a FYI, I live in socal so not many bugs/rain/etc.

#3 ·
i'm curious for the same reasons. I would love a white jacket but have seen what daily wear can do to them and it makes white jacket look awful. :/

#6 ·
Bravo! Bravo! Well done to the new mod

:biggrin

In terms of white leather, I just give mine a clean up with water and a cloth whenever the bugs get a bit too nasty haha.
Comes up looking fine, havn't noticed any horrible discolouring. All my kit is a mix of white and black.

And I guess if it did start to look really bad, just take it for a proper professional clean or something. :dunno

#7 ·
Not a hassle at all. I have been racing in a white suit for 3 years and love it. Not only does it look pimp, but it is MUCH cooler. Just take a damp rag and wipe the bugs off every couple days or so. No problem.

#8 ·
I have a relly light gray colored jacket. I havent washed it in the longest time and it looks pretty bad as it sits. However when its washed, it looks awesome.

Its pretty much like owning black car. More of a hassle to keep clean, but looks badass when it is. My 2 cents.

#9 ·
I have a hard time keeping mine looking really clean up close, but it stays pretty white.

That whole crashing thing doesnt help either :lmao.

Around the boots and gloves is the hardest, where they rub together, but that is also HIDDEN by they boots and gloves when ridden so no big deal.

I LOVE the way it looks in photos though :w00t

#10 ·
This is at NOLA, which is 3/4 of the way through the season I guess?

And Talladega, second to last race of season. YOu see they still look damn white, But up close they are not perfect for sure

#11 ·
Since we are posting cool pictures. :D

This the big version of my avatar. It is from the Barber races in May, and in this picture my suit is about a year old. It has never been professionally cleaned or anything like that. Only had a damp rag taken to it to remove bugs.

Even now it still looks damn good.

#17 ·
Meh, you know I never proof read shit :D

Come out there. Id love to stuff you multiple times in 4 hours :w00t

#19 ·
Planning on it. Rick Matheny has Raven right now. Suspension refresh, new chain/sprockets/brake pads/19x18 Brembo MC........and SS engine build. :frantic

#21 ·
As far as the white suit, it is sorta like a white vehicle...it always looks clean/good from a distance. Even if it is dingy or has bugs on it, it wont show in pictures or on track.

#25 ·
Mine has been down twice over 100mph and one third gear highside... not a SINGLE blown stitch yet. :thumbup

All of which the majority if not all of my sliding was on pavement.

#27 ·
Stitches in my elbow in the first crash. I landed with elbow pinned against ribs and slid with all my weight on my arm/elbow for a long ways and it ground through at the edge of the armor. Not the suits fault. Actually REALLY common with all suits.

Outside of that, barely even sore :dunno

I use Dainese back and chest protectors, suit, and boots. Knox gloves so far. HJC RPS10 helmet. i have destroyed two helmets but not even a bit of dizzy, let alone a concussion.

#29 ·
I've owned white suits and white/blue jackets and it's just like everyone has already said. It will be as clean as you want it to be. Monthly maintenance will have it looking perfect fine at 10 feet. After years of use the edge of the sleeve and the bottom of the belly will start to discolor. Unless you want it looking showroom new at all times it will be pretty low-maintenance.

#33 ·
Me too.

I love my Dainese suit. I haven't crash tested it yet (knock on wood) but i am sure it would hold up great.

#35 ·
Here's something no one mentioned yet.

When I bought my white/black 2pc suit, I didn't hesitate and went to a big horse supply store in town.

I'm wearing it on a daily basis for street riding, especially at night :biggrin

I grew up with horses, went on tournaments for show jumping. Lots of leather parts to clean in that sport!

The key thing is Leather Soap !!!

Looks just like a normal soap bar but this stuff doesn't dry the leather out as bad as any other household cleaning product or pure water.
http://www.applesaddlery.com/p-4485-fiebings-saddle-soap-bar.aspx
Soap doesn't bleach, it just takes off the grease spots/dust/dirt. Cleans any color (kinda hard to see if black is clean).

For the times it Does feel a little rough and dry, I bought special leather conditioner. Can't be too greasy and should soak in just like a good body lotion does with our skin.
http://www.applesaddlery.com/p-1519-stubben-hamanol.aspx

Don't forget. It's an extra pair of skin we put on in order to protect our own hide from major damage. But we still gotta take care of that skin like we would do it with ours (especially around winter).

On top of that the cleaning/conditioning process needs a good sponge that is fine pored and abrasive resistant. Cheap dollarstore sponges disintegrate. I abuse a Vileda sponge for that. Except for a few dark stains it still looks like new.

My tools are:
Old towel
Vileda Sponge
Bowl of water
Leather Soap
Leather Conditioner

Process of Cleaning:
Dampen Sponge in water bowl
Rub sponge Soap Bar until it foams white
Scrub the shit out of the stains on the leather

Dry off wet spots with the Towel immediately before the water penetrates the leather too much

After doing this to your pet peeve stains on the leather suit, use the clean washed and somewhat dry sponge to give the leather a very thin coat of conditioner. Might have to rub the shiny/greasy spots with the towel.

I clean a lot (once a month) since I got Blue/White gloves (Kangaroo palm) and white Rossi Colors A* SMX Plus boots.

#36 ·
I use 303 aerospace on all my gear and it keeps it looking minty, it should also help with uv exposure related discoloration - you can buy it at napa and online. Make sure you spray it on a cotton pad and not on the leather directly or you'll end up wasting alot. I also use this stuff all over the bike and many other places.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.