Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

re-tapping fairing bolt holes

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  5.0snake 
#1 · (Edited)
Guys, some bolts dont thread properly into the fairing bolt holes and I want to cut new threads in the holes. Problem is I dont know what size tap I need to use. I just purchased a craftsman tap and die kit, metric, comes with 4mm x .7, 4mm x .75, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm and 8mm and a few others as well.

Any suggestions? I dont wanna tap the hole to large and be screwed so thanks for the help.

EDIT: Guess I should mention I am re-tapping the right and left side fairing bolt hole closest to the rear tire and the two fairing bolt holes furthest to the front in the middle of the bike by the turn signals. If that makes sense...if not, I can take photos.

#2 ·
I would find out whatever size it is now, get the same size tap and just run it in a few times. Blow the hole out and make sure there's no chips in there. See if that works before u go tapping the holes a different size.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
+1 on the method above. Also +1 on the thread pitch gauge..You didnt say why you are cutting new threads for your fairing bolts. Are they crossthreaded or are the threads gone to the point the bolt wont get tight? If the bolts wont get tight, cutting new threads wont do any good because there isnt enough material there to cut threads into. If this is the case, you can drill the holes and helicoil them. Helicoil kits can be bought at your local auto parts store, but they are not cheap.

Hope this helps.

#5 ·
+1 on the method above. Also +1 on the thread pitch gauge..You didnt say why you are cutting new threads for your fairing bolts. Are they crossthreaded or are the threads gone to the point the bolt wont get tight? If the bolts wont get tight, cutting new threads wont do any good because there isnt enough material there to cut threads into. If this is the case, you can drill the holes and helicoil them. Helicoil kits can be bought at your local auto parts store, but they are not cheap.

Hope this helps.

My reason for re-cutting the holes it due to the fact that I believe the threads to be damaged somehow. When trying to screw in the bolt in, it will screw in about 1/3 of they way before it stops and then feels like the threads are fighting against each other and the bolt wont go any further with out doing more damage.

Thanks for the good advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.