Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

07 GSX-R600 from NY

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Roachrolla 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I've been looking around and this seems like a good place to learn about bikes. I bought this GSX-R from a friend in December of last year and have been riding it since then. I went down due to gravel on a exit of the Belt back in June and was very tempted to sell the bike and move on. My confidence was shaken. But something told me to fix it, get back onto it and learn to become a better rider...Looking forward to obtaining some good information and seeing what this place is all about.
-Mike

See less See more
#3 ·
Fuckin gravvy strikes again:frantic

#6 ·
:scratch

Let me start off by saying that I should've started with a 250. Only been riding since last year. Here's the story: I was in center lane of highway, friend motions for me to exit a exit earlier than we are supposed to (he's in the right lane). Exit was right there so I cut into the right lane, then the exit lane and saw that the curve was coming. Apparently, I panicked a little because I didn't think I could make the curve and decided to bring the bike straight back up and come to a stop at the split between the right lane and exit lane. I must've hit the rear brake b/c next thing I know I'm riding on gravel and feel the bike swinging right then left, followed by me being throw off of it and landing on my head. I think I flew off at about 30-40 mph, not sure though.
Yeah, so the key thing here seems to be..........it's not gravel....it's panicing over a simple corner...and also having no clue as to doing a panic stop...

And the point of a smaller bike to start off with comes into play here, as the parts to repair the bike would be a whole lot cheaper, and crashed small learner bikes still tend to hold a fair bit of value...hey ho

#4 ·
Let me start off by saying that I should've started with a 250. Only been riding since last year. Here's the story: I was in center lane of highway, friend motions for me to exit a exit earlier than we are supposed to (he's in the right lane). Exit was right there so I cut into the right lane, then the exit lane and saw that the curve was coming. Apparently, I panicked a little because I didn't think I could make the curve and decided to bring the bike straight back up and come to a stop at the split between the right lane and exit lane. I must've hit the rear brake b/c next thing I know I'm riding on gravel and feel the bike swinging right then left, followed by me being throw off of it and landing on my head. I think I flew off at about 30-40 mph, not sure though.

#13 ·
Hey guys,
Past few times I've taken the bike out and it has died on me while on the road. I notice the lights dimming/flickering, the gauges are all wrong, and then it just shuts down and I can't start it back up. The battery is new and no fuses are blown. I've charged it back up and the same thing will happen within an hour. I've also smelled a burning smell in the past few weeks of riding and more recently, a "whirring" noise coming from the front left of the bike where the rectifier is. After doing some research, I feel that the likely culprits could be the stator or rectifier. I removed the recitifer this morning and attached some pics below but see no noticaeble damage to the unit or wiring. I should have tested everything with a multimeter but didn't have access to one at the time...
Questions, are those two wires "protruding" from the back of the rectifier normal? And can a rectifier make noise when going bad? I'm about to buy a new one one online so I can get back on the road. Thanks in advance

#16 ·
Hey guys,
Past few times I've taken the bike out and it has died on me while on the road. I notice the lights dimming/flickering, the gauges are all wrong, and then it just shuts down and I can't start it back up. The battery is new and no fuses are blown. I've charged it back up and the same thing will happen within an hour. I've also smelled a burning smell in the past few weeks of riding and more recently, a "whirring" noise coming from the front left of the bike where the rectifier is. After doing some research, I feel that the likely culprits could be the stator or rectifier. I removed the recitifer this morning and attached some pics below but see no noticaeble damage to the unit or wiring. I should have tested everything with a multimeter but didn't have access to one at the time...
Questions, are those two wires "protruding" from the back of the rectifier normal? And can a rectifier make noise when going bad? I'm about to buy a new one one online so I can get back on the road. Thanks in advance
I would highly recommend relocating the rectifier or it will go out again. Use the search function for how-to threads.

#22 ·
Update:

So the rectifier was changed and the battery was no longer discharging down and dying on me. But after a few starts/shut downs, I wouldn't be able to get the bike started again so I figured the battery was shot after being discharged/charged so many times...Today, I throw on the OLD battery after charging it with the battery tender. The voltage was about 13.XX when I started it but when I revved it up to ~5k and held it, I never got the jump in voltage to 14.5-15 V as indicated in the manual. I'm assuming the stator is shot as well? Anything else I can check before I buy and install a new one? The bike did have the stator cover changed so can it be possible that the stator finally just gave out from the bike being dropped and/or the rectifier going bad recently?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.