Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

17" rear wheel on early GSXR

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  alexfleury 
#1 ·
OK guys I am a nooby here so forgive me if this is a repetitive question.

YES I have used the search but I still want to make sure I am not confused.

(that means I AM confused lol )

I have a an 1100 GSXR that is an early model that used the kinda odd "J" link rear suspension. I want to put 17" wheels on the bike. I have a 92 600 Katana that I can pull parts from. The front wheel worked on my GSXR. I just had to use the Katana calipers. The Kat has 290 cm rotors. It is a narrow rim, so I can only run a 110 tire. It has 3 straight spokes.

Now to the back of the bike. The width of the inner rear wheel on the Katana, measuring from the rotor to the cush drive, is 5 inches. The inner width of the 1100 wheel is 5.5 inches. So the Katana rear wheel is too narrow for the GSXR swingarm. So what wheel do I need to look for to run a 17 on the back of the GSXR? I am fine with a 150 or 160 tire. That would let me run the same sizes that I run on my 1st gen Bandit 600.

So what will work? What will be a direct bolt on? Are there later model straight spoke wheels that will work with the correct spacers? I want a bolt on application if possible.

Can someone tell me exactly what year and wheel (wheels) I need to look for?

I apologize if this question has been asked before , but i'm still looking for the exact info that I need.

Thank Y'all. I appreciate whatever help I can get.

Alex

See less See more
#3 ·
It is an 86 frame and swingarm. Actually that's all I have from the 1100 is a frame with a title and a swingarm. But I have assorted parts and a mostly complete 86 750 bike and a Bandit 600 engine. But I have a 750 engine that has low compression and another 750 engine that was in a bike that was in a flood. I also have a mostly complete 92 600 Katana. I can use the Katana front wheel. I'm trying to put together a rolling chassis with a running motor using the parts that I have and then figure out where to go from there.

But I do want to go ahead and find a rear 17. Once I get one bike put together I'll have a bunch of stuff for sale. I've been gathering parts for about 10 years but just now finally got around to attempting a build.

#10 ·
Your build is not going to be everyone's cup of tea around here. But it's a good bunch of guys non the less. Just don't get ur panties in a bind when they tell you that, and you'll be fine here Alex.... And you will get the best deals, on the best parts too ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.