Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Tips for putting the bike away for winter...

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  squale147 
#1 ·
So I was hoping on snagging a garage this winter here at my apartment complex but unforatunely it does not appear that anyone is going to be giving one up. With that said it looks like my beloved 02 GSX-R will be staying outdoors this fall/winter.

This is my first fall/winter with a bike so I am a bit lost. Right now, my bike is outside and uncovered. I have ordered a full cover and expect it next week. For the time being is there anything I should do or prepare the bike for?

I have not taken it out in about a month and it has been parked in the same spot since. I periodically go out and wipe off the Oregon rain and that's about it.

Today, I took some chain degreaser to the chain and my chain brush and then lubed up the chain. While doing this, I noticed a very small amount of rust (almost unnoticeable) on a few links in the chain. Normal? Should I be concerned?

Any help would be great guys. Thanks!

#2 ·
Do a search alot of good topics on it.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344670

You can also look into storage spaces. Make sure you have antifreeze and not water in the radiator. Fresh oil change fill up gas tank add fuel stabilizer and run it for a few minutes. After that turn it off top off the tank (the highest point where you can still shut the gas cap). Definitely get the full cover. If your leaving it outside make sure to rotate your tires every once in a while to avoid getting flat spots. Most of all make sure it's in a safe place!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
Do a search alot of good topics on it.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344670

You can also look into storage spaces. Make sure you have antifreeze and not water in the radiator. Fresh oil change fill up gas tank add fuel stabilizer and run it for a few minutes. After that turn it off top off the tank (the highest point where you can still shut the gas cap). Definitely get the full cover. If your leaving it outside make sure to rotate your tires every once in a while to avoid getting flat spots. Most of all make sure it's in a safe place!
This ^
Plus,
If you can't get to a power outlet then bring the battery inside.
And if money isn't an issue rent a storage unit like stated above

#3 ·
So I was hoping on snagging a garage this winter here at my apartment complex but unforatunely it does not appear that anyone is going to be giving one up. With that said it looks like my beloved 02 GSX-R will be staying outdoors this fall/winter.

This is my first fall/winter with a bike so I am a bit lost. Right now, my bike is outside and uncovered. I have ordered a full cover and expect it next week. For the time being is there anything I should do or prepare the bike for?

I have not taken it out in about a month and it has been parked in the same spot since. I periodically go out and wipe off the Oregon rain and that's about it.

Today, I took some chain degreaser to the chain and my chain brush and then lubed up the chain. While doing this, I noticed a very small amount of rust (almost unnoticeable) on a few links in the chain. Normal? Should I be concerned?

Any help would be great guys. Thanks!
Might want to get a cover and a wool blanket, but take the wool blanket off only use when really cold... Will keep the moisture out of tank and other places. I have a covered canvas tent that all of my bikes, and stuff gets cabled together. Wheel locks are a good thing too.

Hope still some good weather for riding. I rode today... somewhat cold.
Great points here.
Thanks! Chris.

#8 ·
Just a thought but, how large are the parking spots in the garage? Pay someone to park it near the wall in front of their (smaller) car. Put it on stands & cover it up. I'm sure with your bike up front & their car in the spot, there should be enough room.

:dunno

#10 ·
Just put that thing in your apartment, fill up the gas tank with a bottle of Seafoam or Fuel stabilizer, then your bike will be safe and warm.

When I lived in my condo, I put my bike in the living room with a blanket under the wheels so I wouldn't ruin the carpet. I guess you could only do this if you lived on the ground floor.

#11 ·
+1 Even if you're not on the ground floor, you and some friends should be able to get it up the stairs. Buy a 2' x 5' chunk of berber carpet for the bike to sit on.

Get the owner's manual for your bike and follow the storage recommendations. In later years they include filling the crankcase with oil all the way to the filler hole and putting a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder. Get one of those muffler hole plugs (or whatever they're called) and use it as long term storage invites mice to take up residence.

#12 ·
There have been times when I would not have minded bringing a bike indoors. I had a few bikes stolen when locked up in back of an apartment building.

I might add oil to each cylinder or fill the crankcase if I was storing it for years, but not just for winter. I just try to store it with a fresh oil change, so its ready to go on the first nice day.

#14 ·
No way! Heat + gas = vapors + ignition source (pilot light, candles, smokes, etc) = kaboom. You also might want to ask the landlord and consult your rental agreement - best to be straightup and alive and un-sued. Maybe the landlord will let you stick it in a corner somewhere - in the garage, utility shed, etc? Otherwise I'd find/pay a friend/coworker/stranger to let you store it, at front of their sheltered/inside parking spot, in a corner of their garage, whatever. But I wouldn't leave a bike I liked outside. Period. But I live in Canada where you'd lose it under the snow for months at a time.

#16 ·
Public storage has a deal running which I have looked in to. I may be going with that route. I picked up a covermax yesterday and did some general maintenance as suggested. Unfortunately now I have to wait until I get a battery to get the bike moved. It finally died.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.