Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Motul 5100 10w-50 oil analysis

47K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  kwaka10r 
#1 ·
Hi i work for a oil analysis company in australia and just thought i would share my findings due to the massive drop in viscosity in only 4000 kms. will not use this again.

I have attached two images one is a base line of the oil before it was used and the other is after it has been used, checking with the motul website the base line is spot on with there data sheet.

I have changed to 7100 this oil change and after 5000 kms will do another analysis and see if its any better and after that will look to change to 300V 4T Factory Line.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
nice one, i refuse to touch motul now days, it does not go anywhere near my gsxr 600 or rsv1000r. Had a few issues many years with motul, across 2 bikes

My GSXR has only run shell full sync since i got it brand new in 04.

#4 ·
i noticed the bike shops here in brisbane are very limited in oil brands compared to what i had in NZ.

Everyone here stocks motul, and alot of time only thing they stock

#5 · (Edited)
Great info. How does the drop in viscosity compare to other brands of oil you've tested?

#6 ·
Hi well normally we allow for a 15% drop over the usable life of the oil, Its depends on the conditions of use racing/dailyuse that sort of thing, This oil however did not last 4000kms before showing a drop below 20% in viscosity.

Im currently still using my 7100 moutl oil and will be testing it once it reaches 5000kms

#7 ·
I used 7100 in my R1 without issue but a friend of mine is a manager of a gixxer racing team and he swears by the 5100 and told me never to use the 7100 in my gixxer, he said I will have serious issues if i do. So the above info is very interesting and I can't wait for the new results to come in, I live in Canada and the Motul is expensive shit so looking forward to the info. Thx.

#9 ·
x2

ams oil in ALL my bikes and all vehicles. i change my bike's oil after every 4 td's including filter. might be too soon, but 20-20 minute sessions hammering the bike i think warrants changing sooner than later.

side note, anyone in the USA have a company to send oil in for analysis?

#19 ·
Hi guys,

Sorry its taken me so long to get this next one done been super busy over Christmas and new years!

So Ive created two sample reports for the different oils to make things a little simpler to look at.

It looks like the 7100 lasted, I did about 5000 kms little more then i normally do and also had a lot of cold starts where i didn't have a lot of time for it to warm up so it hasn't had a easy life but seams to have lasted fine, normal amount of wear metals were found compared to last sample, so the wear rates are stable using the oil. Viscosity has dropped but is within the allowed limit, Additive package of the oil which absorbs acid and reduces wear shows a drop but still in useable condition.

So all in all the 7100 for about $97.00 is a decent oil, but you pay the price for the better quality oil.

Attachments

#20 ·
Also I'm currently helping a mate look into this oil/engine problems in his kx250f 08 race bike, its a high comp flowed and cam'd engine. Its degrading the oil withing a few hrs. hes using Shell advance ultra 10w40 so will post up the results of the test so everyone can have a look at the quality of the shell oil as well.

#25 ·
thank you for such a contribution to this site with so few posts! :cheers

any results or history on repsol? i ran the 4t rider for probably 35K miles and switched to the full synthetic race for the last 10k miles since it became my track bike.

once again thanks for some hard data!

#26 · (Edited)
Schoey_750, give this stuff a try. It's as good as the Rotella and Delvac and should rival the Motul. It can be bought for around $88 for 20 litre drum so it beats Motul on price by a huge factor.

Don't get the 400 LE the 400 15w40 multigrade with the CI-4 PLUS API spec is the one to get.

Also your first run with 5100 had 3.0% fuel so the viscosity is going to suffer. The wear metals weren't far off the 7100 and given that it had high fuel dilution it's a pretty good result.

#29 · (Edited)
Schoey_750, give this stuff a try. It's as good as the Rotella and Delvac and should rival the Motul. It can be bought for around $88 for 10 litre drum so it beats Motul on price by a huge factor.

Don't get the 400 LE the 400 15w40 multigrade with the CI-4 PLUS API spec is the one to get.

Also your first run with 5100 had 3.0% fuel so the viscosity is going to suffer. The wear metals weren't far off the 7100 and given that it had high fuel dilution it's a pretty good result.

Hey mate delo is a good oil have seen mack and Volvo use with no problems. didn't realize they made it for bikes as well? where do you buy it from I would like to buy it in 20l drums would save some coin!

The results where odd to have 3.0% fuel dilution on the 5100 then only 1.0%
with the 7100, because the bike setup is exactly the same, my thoughts where the 7100 absorbs/retains the fuel better to stop wear. I had a similar thing happen when testing royal purple with a mates 1J which was tuned extremely rich the oil smelt like fuel and felt gritty after 3 000 kms but the dilution came back under 2.0% but it was clearly well over the 4.0% limit, shows there's a lot more development in oils, more then you can see with a screening test.

any results or history on repsol? can you tell me the full name and grade and ill see what I can find.

Mobil 1 15/50 with NO Additives. its got to have some kinds of additives...

#31 ·
so did a little research and found that caltex does not recommend the use of this oil in bikes due to higher molly around 270 ppm ( parts per million ) and the 400 LE has 80 ppm. so alot of people might say its good and use it and not have problems, but if caltex say they wouldn't recommend it and lose sales from it they must have a reasons.

#33 ·
Maxum Ultra by Maxima has more moly. (MoTDC)

I have had no clutch slip problems at all. Original clutch with over 110,000km

It depends on the type of moly. MoTDC (molybdenum trialkyldithiocarbamate) or MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide). MoS2 is the culprit and is not normally used in oils, it is an old form from eons ago.

#34 ·
Schoey_750

Be interested in the metal wear data you have on the Shell Rimula, Mobil Delvac and Caltex Delo.

Any feel for the numbers? Are they similar or is there a standout? I know there are a lot of variables, but when you are in a position of seeing mountains of data usually a pattern begins to appear. New vehicles are good as there are less variables.

#37 ·
Yep have to agree that seems the general consensus. I've seen a lot of used oil analysis results on this and the 5w40 synthetic. The 15w40 seems to out do it most of the time and not the other way around. The 5w40 sheers a lot quicker as well.

Amsoil can give good results, but I've seen it give high copper readings quite a bit. Probably the oil/coolant heat exchangers, I believe most of them have a copper core.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.