Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

New(to me) 05 GSXR1000

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  roadracer642 
#1 ·
As the title says, just picked up a GSX-R1000 last week for $5800, has 7.4k miles, in great shape (I think). Bike is stock with the exception of a few cosmetic mods.

Have a few questions, I am probably being paranoid but have to know lol.

First, at low RPM and idle she sounds a bit like a diesel engine, above 3-4k it purrs.

Exhaust smells fairly heavy of gas, i know the 05 and 06 didn't have the emission control systems that the newer bikes have but wanted to make sure that was normal.

The seat heats up, uncomfortable hot actually, after about 10 min or so most the time my chestnuts are roasting (I live in Florida)

Just did a fresh oil change hoping that would solve some of the low RPM noise, but no luck.

Oil is Rotella T6 synthetic.

#2 ·
All GSXR engines sound agricultural. It's the nature of the beast.

#4 ·
Even the new ones have valve train and cam chain noise. GSXRs just sound like growling demons going over speed bumps while shivering on a cold night in the back of a pickup truck while rhythmically tapping drum sticks on glass coffee tables and thats that. No "fix" for it. :dunno

#10 · (Edited)
You know, for less than the cost of a service department inspection you can buy a multitester/volt meter and maybe a lightbulb. Since you mention the seat getting hot, which is odd on a bike that doesn't have an underseat exhaust, look for a short in the tail light wiring. Just follow it back from the tail light assembly. If that doesn't show anything, look for any place a wiring harness might be rubbing against metal.

Then you can take your girl out to dinner on the savings

#9 ·
hope you enjoy the new gixxer. The sound to me sounded a little off as well when i first got my gixxer 05 but damn does that sucker fly! It is taking me some getting used to but it is comforting to read posts that say this is normal. Hope everything is ok on the new bike and hope you get it all fixed for cheap.

#17 ·
Had battery checked at advanced auto pars today and all is fine, 100% charge 12.7v.

Found the problem with tail light, seems while trying to jam my rain gear into the tail i knocked loose one of the wires leading to the tail light, plugged it back in and problem solved.

Still have the hot seat though, all wiring looks OK to me, nothing exposed that i can see, nothing touching any metal, took to dealer and they just looked at it and said it looked OK, but an actually diagnosis would cost 85 per hr and would take 2-6 hrs, needless to say if I can at all help it I will not have them do it lol.

A friend said it could be a bad ground, but didn't know how to test for that, he thought you check resistance but wasn't sure.

Looks like it is time to learn a little about electrical, anyone able to point me in the right direction (other than google it :p) or give a decent explanation on how one would go about checking all the wires for a short?

#20 ·
The battery sits right beneath the seat. There's nothing contacting the terminals, is there?

#21 ·
Problem solved with the heat, was putting in alarm and had all the tail plastic off, and found 1 red and 1 black wire not connected to anything but the battery, took them off and heat is gone. My guess is the last owner had a 12v acc line and removed it prior to sale, but didnt get rid of the wiring for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.