Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

this is why you don't drive a slammed bike on the street

8K views 51 replies 28 participants last post by  RLBiscuit 
#1 ·
i haven't posted new pics of my bike since i painted it and cleaned it up. so here's what happens when your bike sits 2" off the ground and you bottom out over every crack in the road... oh and please excuse the picture quality as they are from my phone.

See less See more
#8 ·
Stiffening the rear shock? All that is going to do is make a poor handling bike (because it is slammed) even worse. Pre-load is there to ensure the shock is operating within the correct range of travel, not to compensate for lowering the bike.

Why not simply remove the rear shock and insert a steel tube in its place. I saw two stretched and lowered Busas at Americade a couple of years ago like that. They were simply converted to "hard-tails". Never have to worry about this happening again! :monkeyface

#9 ·
i take this bike out on the street maybe once or twice a month since its been lowered. this just happened on a short 40mi ride. i have a busa for the street, just wanted to show everyone what could happen with a bike that low, to save them 300 on a wire harness and cdi.

#11 ·
Wow, just wow. Then engineers spend a lot of time to set these bikes up, idk why people insist on changing it that dramatically

#15 ·
I just don't understand why one would "SLAM" (ONYX) their baby, just don't get it! I just love my twistiez...

#17 ·
yea 12k was getting ahead of myself.. no i launch around 9k-9.5k then once i feel the clutch start to grab and the bike move hold it pinned then let it out hard. hence my shitty high 1.7xx-1.8xx 60's........ before it was lowered i couldn't hit 2nd hard without the front end staying 6" off the ground.. i know that could most likely be fixed with body position but having it low at the strip was easier, and helps launching with both feet on the ground as i am on the shorter side.

#18 ·
my srad was lowered like that with a 200 rear tire when i bought it, riding it home was the worst ride ive ever been on. it felt like a tank plowing through corners, not to mention it looked like shit too. try extending the swingarm if your looking to keep the front down.

#19 ·
i didn't lower my bike this much to handle around corners. so i could care less about that.. as for the looks part, that's opinion. i like it.... sorry for posting a new thread. BUT, now when someone hits the search button and looks for tips on how low they can safely go, this will help.

#35 ·
no no, this is all real. i tried showing people how low not to make a bike. you know to save them the time and money of fixing then. and as for the pink, yes i painted my wheels hot pink... why? because i'm 21 and girls love it.i don't care what ppl say about it/me on here. girls like guys who can rock pink. and idk where you guys are from, but having a "girly" color on a car/bike doesn't mean your gay.. it means you want to be the one to stand out. for instance..... lets say your driving around and there is a parking lot full of bikes... which one will catch your eye... the 20+ stock bikes or the one with pink wheels... you know i lost a lot of respect for this site (minus a few members of course who can compose themselves).

#40 ·
My buddy had a k5 1000, I have a k8 1000. We swapped for a ride to lunch one day and I couldn't believe how poorly it handled, and he loved how mine handled. Granted, he liked to top his out and I prefer to hug corners, but when we went to Deal's Gap he regretted not keeping the stock links. I understand the concept of handling acceleration better, but the trade-off just doesn't seem worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.