Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Thoughts on buying a 1997 750 SRAD

26K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  TwistedMister 
#1 ·
Hey,

Im thinkin of buying a 1997 GSXR750 SRAD and was wondering what are the pro's and con's of this bike, a mate wants $5500 AUS and it has 40,000kms on the clock, it seems in really good condition and has a full titanium yoshi exhaust, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cody

#9 ·
I checked on it:Its $3439 is US money:cheers

#3 ·
The 97 SRDA was a good bike. Personally, I would shy away from it because it has carbs, I prefer injection. If you are not afraid of carbs, you should have no problems.

Before you buy it, open the gas tank and check for rust. If the tank is rusty you are going to have lots of carb issues until the rust is removed (a rather simple process).

#7 ·
My brother-in-law bought one (his first sport bike), a '98 750 and paid $2800 with 21k mi. The engine seems to run fine but it has a shit load of other probs. eg. Still has original chain, rear tire mounted backwards(!), front end pushed back almost into radiator and probably other shit I don't know about. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to look at it before he bought it.

#10 ·
Check the tank for rust.

I had a 99 750. Same as the 98. I had some issues with the motor surging down in the low rpms, below 4k. We couldn't tune it out. No biggie, jut keep the revs up.

The only issue my buddy had with his 98 was the well nuts that hold down the front seat. On the 98 the were aluminum and stripped easily. In 99, the were steel. No problems stripping. Other than that, they were solid bikes.

#11 ·
That seems really high for a stock 97.

Mine is a 97 with stock engine and trans. I bought it with it being fulling drilled and wired for trackday or racing. It came with all street clothes and a parts pin.

It has a full Ti system and a Carbon can. Stage 1 jet kit. As you can see it has 07/ front end. I haven't undated the internals yet but thinking of upgrading the internals to Ohlins.

It also has a brembo 19x20 Brembo master clamping down on EBC rotors,ohlins rear shock, rearsets with adjustable plates, vortex clipons, 2004 front wheel not shown,

I got the whole thing for $4500.00

I think you should bargain with the seller a little. As long as the bike is tight and has no apparent abuse.

Good luck.

#12 ·
Thanks guys, here in australia it seems that things a a lot higher priced lol, iv looked around this thing is worth $6500 - $7000 as far as i can tell and iv bargin'd all i can lol, yea she aint stock either its has a full Ti yoshi system and other bits and peices, also can i get a PCIII ECU for this bike?

#13 ·
i have a 97 750 srad 28000 miles on her she carbd id like to make her injected but im not sure what all i need to obtain this but its all pretty much stock and i love it paid 2000 for her and have about 2500 in her she runs great and fast but if she sits too long shes a rough run till i get her warm im gonna put a jet kit extentions aftermarket rims so on and so form but id say its a great bike

#17 ·
you do the currency conversions, a very very CLEAN srad was just up on EBAY UK with an asking price of £1750, low mile under 14kk very straight untampered SRAD

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GS...s&hash=item19d64941c8&clk_rvr_id=417477316686

in the states there are some going for anywhere from $2000-2500, several in decent shape ready to go..

use craigslist (uk)(ca)(us) to look around and compare pricing, allofcraigs.com works good too..

of course none of this means that in your area sportbikes aren't typically expensive, you just have to look on craigs or ebay for your area, find out if sportbikes are typically high priced?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.