Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Awesome Footage of a Tank Slapper

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Wogger 
#1 ·
Not mine
But pretty cool to see what the bike is doing.

#3 ·
holy shit lol.

#5 ·
1. Pull over.
2. Check shorts.
3. Turn around and ride home @ 15mph.

#9 ·
I always think of this video when people talk about tank slappers. The bike was fine once it got rid of the rider!

#12 ·
That one was fairly mild as well. The tire stayed in one spot. They get so bad sometiems that the front jumps a foot each way side to side.

#14 ·
i ran over a chunk of asphalt in the middle of a 60mph curve, it started a violent slapper and when i finally got it handled i was almost running off road. there really is not much you can do but let the bike work it out. Never try to wrestle it straight. when i pulled over, my front wheel was bent.

#15 · (Edited)
So just basically the same thing as a slide? Steady throttle light grip?

Speaking of slides, I was out in the rural Salinas, CA area last week... if anyone is familiar with that the roads are covered in dried mud. I went to make a free flowing left turn onto a cross street going maybe 20 mph and the tires just slid right out from under me. I kicked the ground with my left foot mx style and the bike just popped right back up and regained traction. I don't know how the hell it worked but it did.

#18 ·
In a tank slapper? Ideally yea. Realistically it is unlikely to happen. You just want to avoid death gripping the bars. That will transmit the shake into your body, which will put it into the rear of the bike and it can start to swap ends. Bad deal.

There is a HUGE difference in some head shake (easy to accelerate out of) and a tank slap.

#19 · (Edited)
Not much you can do in a tank slapper other than ride it out, be sure your grip is loose, and not panic. Friend had one so bad that it broke the tab off of the triple trees that stops the forks and only lets them turn so far side to side.. It broke off that tab and the handlebar dented the frame, but he was very lucky and didn't wreck.

#22 · (Edited)
The beginning of last season I Killed A 200 lbs Deer With My K3 Setting up for a uphill Lefthand Sweeper At 9 K in 3rd gear . The Most Crazy Thing that has ever happened to me on a bike . Crazy was two downshifts and a huge WTF the thing Ripped into the side of the Gixxer at speed I didn't even see it as i was looking uphill left and it fukin Cruised Me. Huge WFT looked for leaks didnt stop till 5 min later was INSANE Love My Gixxers . Got a set of lowers off a buddy and needed a new rearset peg bolt .Yes I did promptly buy a Loto Ticket ;) and bought the sweet K 5 two months later .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.