Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

PM Brakes and wheels

7K views 64 replies 20 participants last post by  BIT_IFFY 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have the opportunity to buy a bike that is running PM brakes and Wheels as well as a few other goodies.

I'm considering using them on my track bike. I've searched here about the wheels and see they are much lighter then what I'm currently running. So although I'm really not a fan of the looks of them, I may switch. But what about the brakes, are they better then the stock setup I'm currently running?

The next question is what are these things worth? Again, im not selling them, I'm buying them. If I buy them and decide at a later date to sell them, I'll post in the appropriate section.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
rotors look like 320mm and fully floating. Quick change goodies too. Lockhart Philips bikes used them way back when. I have a full set on my show bike. I'm sure they are better than what was available back in the day but I wouldn't know because I never rode em either. Lol

#13 ·
They were a significant performance advantage in their day. The wheels are quite a bit better than what you show in the photo of your bike. There were a few bikes that ran these parts and won championships, so I don't know why they get a cold reception around here.

JR

#18 ·
A few Canadians in that bunch from 1990 - Reuben McMurter, Miguel DuHamel. Miguel was on the Suzuki.... nice! Another name that came up, former Suzuki rider Dale Quarterley.

Great video. Nice close up of Scott's Kawi with the PM Wheels/Calipers/Rotors. What a combo. :thumbup

jb_xx

#19 ·
Seems this sub has been coming up lately. we could start a sticky on this subject and post all we know in there? just sayin :dunno

#21 ·
Very cool video thanks. I noticed the wheels on the Kawi were blue. Are they anodized? I would kinda like them in dark blue or black. I just can't stand the polished look that they are now.

I'm kinda late to the game on this stuff, really not familiar with Performance Machine products from that era.

#24 ·
I noticed the wheels on the Kawi were blue. Are they anodized? I would kinda like them in dark blue or black. I just can't stand the polished look that they are now.
Yes, they're anodized. I bought an old AMA Superbike last summer from the original builder and I got it with all the stuff. The rims are definitely anodized.

Here's the bike as it sat in the previous owner's garage:

#23 ·
I too don't like the looks of them, but have a few sets of them - both on track builds, I also have the rotors. The calipers vary. I have one set I paid $125 for locally from a member here. Another set I paid $350 for but I don't know what they look like yet. Both sets are like those in the photo. As far as rotors go, I have two sets, purchased from 2 separate members here, and both sets are near perfect with even wear and no issues. I paid $350 for each set and am a happy man for it. Sadly, I have not ridden on either of them yet, but they are larger and lighter so I don't see how they could not be better than stock.

#26 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. I have rode the bike but not as you saw it in the previous pic. The P.O. kept all the parts he ever acquired for the bike and I got all of it when I bought the bike. This included everything from a spare unlimited superbike engine to race kit parts to the the jacket given to competitors at the Macau GP. He had pulled the original bodyork off and put it all in his attic waaaaay back in 93. He pulled it out this past spring and restored the bike to (mostly) original. It still has the privateer 750 suberbike engine in it. The original aluminum tank was used for the race bodywork and was replaced with a standard steel tank when he restored it. I have another aluminum tank to install on the bike to get it "right". Here's how it looks now:

Here's a write up I did for another forum about the bike and everything I got with it. It's a monster and I'm stupidly happy with the purchase.

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r-forum/64410-my-93-zx7r-real-m1.html

#30 ·
Believe me, when I use the PM's they will have new tires. The stock rims have brand new (as of spring 2012) tires with less than 200 miles on them.

MMarsh, Sorry to thread jack.

Now back to your originally scheduled programming....

#40 ·
I've got some prices down near me in Escondido and they are about the same as what Marsh said. I've thought about having mine done as well but while anodizing makes them look nice, they are made weaker in the process. Not sure by how much, but it does, and eventually the anodizing gets ugly and it will need to be done again. Basically, what I'm saying is you might want to check into how many times you can re-anodize before you run the risk of failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.