Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

86 GSXR 1100 project start to finish.

16K views 91 replies 37 participants last post by  Oldschoolfool711 
#1 ·
Alright so here I go with the starting process for my 86 1100. Its going to be blue and white 86 1100. 01 Bandit motor, carbs and wiring harness. yosh full exhaust, 06 GSXR 1000 forks, Yamaha r1 calipers. Ducati master front brake cylinder. Aprilia wheels. O7 GSXR swingarm. Theres alot of parts I got for the build but missing some body parts. But my goal is to get a roller first and the motor installed. I cleaned the frame and swing arm today. I used grease lighting and sand paper and steelwool. The frame is fabricated and took pictures so you can see how it was done. I had 2 frames done and this was the first attempt. The second came out much better. The frame is going to black or darkl grey. Maybe even silver. The wheels will be painted **** white as some members referred to if your rolling white you aint right! :nono My girlfriend's 38 double dds knows better. So whatever. Heres some picuters of whats going down and how to build a bike from a bin of parts. :hammer

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You can see I got a pair aprilia forks for this build but after all the pro and cons. Like it doesnt just slide into 91 GSXR 750 Fork clamps. I would have to use a new lower clamp and press old stem. Scratching that idea and using the one I know works. 91 GSXR 750 triple clamps with 06 GSXR 1000 tubes.

Attachments

#6 ·
Keep those pictures coming :punk - you can never have too many pics, and there may be one or two of us who get tips and ideas from what others do. (And a pic is always worth a 1K words). Will definitely keep an eye on this thread. Very nice, Oz :cheers

#11 ·
yeah, keep us posted with fotos.

tip: you have to be thick skinned and not worry about other people's comments. especially when you post fotos. paint your wheels whatever color you like. not sure how white wheels are ****...if you are gonna worry about other people's comments, we all should be riding/working on new bikes.

like eric stated in the other post; at least you build your bikes.

#13 · (Edited)
I have an odd request:

I need your plastic!
LOL

-----------

Ok, since thats not gunna happen, Im painting my bike and have a full sticker kit of your same paint scheme- my problem is, I dont have a Tri-Blue and white 1986 1100...........

The plastics Im using are from all different models of 1st gen 750s and 1100s. But oddly I dont have one piece of plastic thats off a Tri-Blue and white! So as it stands, when I trail-fit my parts, the bike looks like a patchwork quilt.

The odd request I have is: Would you be able to Post pics of the parts you have (including the tank) perhaps with a ruler held next to the edges where the lines are to help me in masking the dark blue after the white is laid down, and also help with sticker placement?

I have seen some REALLY bad paint/stripe jobs when doing google image searches of different Tri-Blue/white 1100s!!!!

I know its a pain in the ass, but it would help greatly, and I couldnt think of a better source! LOL-
Pics like this:

I'm sure anyone else that has a secret stock/hourde of 1986 Blue/White 1100 plastic could help as well........

GEE! come to think of it, we could make an all new "Painters reference" thread and people could submit pics off ALL models and years of oilers like what Im talking about for everybody to use? For starters I could post all the rest of my parts for every body else? Let me know what you think?

#14 ·
Yes I can I know what you mean with color match and decals I m goinng to try to find the original decal for the tank and uppers I miss a auction on fee bay last week 86 1100 original upper fairing decals 108.00 I didnt win!! So when I get to that stage I will take some pictures as im taking pictures of all work that Im doing to the bike. Which is everything!

#15 ·
Quick question for oiler crowd, I have 1052 motor and Bandit motor. Miles on 1052 are 30,000 miles. It feels like a one piston has lag but the motor was running good. The bandit motor has 18000 with a new valve job. I dont want to be tearing into either motor just want to slap them in and ride. Which one would you use? 1052 with 38 carbs or bandit 01 motor with stock carbs??

#16 ·
Alright got back into building my oilers. Scavaged the good parts off my crashed 87 711. The forks and wheels wasted big time. But I got it all broken down and started on my 86 1100 blue and white. Frame came back with 07 gsxr 1000 swing arm from my boy over at Duraglo with nice looking black paint. Cost me 150.00 I didnt want to go the power coat route cause when you heat the frame to certain degress it takes the strength out of the metal. Is this true? Thats what my welder friend told me:dunno I put the bandit motor in. I ve got a list of shit to do. I have chrome RC wheels going on the bike. I have 2 sets of 86 blue and white 1100 plastics getting done in 2 weeks. One is Canadian tank and one is USA tank. I like the Canadian model better cause they harder to find but it dont matter cause I got both! ha ha I purchased a decal kit from RDdecals. Show you how they come out. I using a new painter and he promises quick results and professional work. I saw some work on a TL1000 that was dropped off a motorcycle lift and had to be repainted. Came out like brand new so I giving him a try both sets of plastics at 800.00 each. Heres is a photo of the work so far. 1100 frame 07 swing gsxr 1000 swing arm and 01 or 02 Bandit motor:biggrin

Attachments

#74 ·
I didnt want to go the power coat route cause when you heat the frame to certain degress it takes the strength out of the metal. Is this true?
Not sure it I'm 100% correct here, and since no one else chimed in about this matter I thought I'd give it a whirl! Looks like most powder coating happens around 200C for roughly 10 minutes, and checking some phase diagrams of aluminum alloys (6061) and effects of heat treating, the only evidence I can find of actually changing the properties of the metal at that temp is with alloys with a high copper content. Our GSXR frames, which I believe are 6061, is made up of a combination of aluminum, silicon, and magnesium. That being said in order to change the properties of the copper alloy, you need to keep the metal at a sustained temp of a minimum of 160C for 18 hours! So, powder coating thus has no effect on the "strength" of the frame. Whew!! I think I just blacked out for a couple minutes...:eek2: Sweet bike by the way!

#23 ·
Alright you guys, My decals came in from RDdecals.com 86 GSXR 1100 blue and white My painter was already working on the sets and getting it done. Unlike my other 2 guys who fucked around for the last 2.5 years get 3 set done! Work was not up to par and I wasted alot money and time on gas checking for progress only to get fucken excuse after excuse. Well this guy does quality work at a quick pace. Each set is 1000.00 plus my wheels. 300.00
So break it down.
2 sets 1000.00 each
Wheels 300.00 to paint. cost me 800.00
RDdecals 270.00
1 body set 900.00
2nd body set with parts for glass dude 1200
4670.00 total so far and counting
This bike is going to turn heads and break necks late!

Attachments

#26 ·
The frame picture just has white dust on it from the shop. I just started building the damn thing didnt even clean it up. The wheels are chrome right now but they are going to be painted bright white. I was able to save alot of parts from my crashed bike. I will use the pipe set up of course. 38 out state carbs wiring harness, oil cooler, Yosh anodized rear sets from Japan. Ohlins rear shock. The chain and off set sprocket set up. Also was have all the plastics for the 87 blue and white except the left lower. If this guy does past GDC expectations and mine I will be getting those done for my Grand finale bike.

#34 ·
Hopefully it will change your mind. Dont forget this one is sitting in the shop waiting for new smoothbores to be put on and wiring harness to start it and get it running. I got 86 red and black and 87 red and whites plastics to put on this baby When you see what I m going to do this winter you and everyone on GDC gonna shit wheat toast! These 2 are just a little finger banger in the cookie!:yumyum

Attachments

#33 ·
Seriously I know what your saying. The painters in Los Angeles or OC want top dollar for work like half the price of a whole bike. And most cant get the lines and colors exactly the way they should be. My buddy got his done from painter claiming to be better than another guy we know. Well 1000.00 later the finish product- Decals off and white pearl to pearly. If your breaking bread you better get Caviar on that cracker man. I told this dude if this work comes out bomb than my buddy will do his 87 blue and white 1100 pronto. Instead of going to Born again fairings in San Dimas which has gone a little on the standard side when it comes to quality. At 1500.00 thats steep and hard swallow for anyone in this ecomomy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.