Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

"How to" on degreeing cams, should I?

6K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  ccmhunt 
#1 ·
I am going to degree to cams on my old motor that is going to Williamhbonney.
The camera sprockets are APE adjustable gears and the carriers are already pressed on to the cams. They are ones I sold to Sleeper750 and were sent back to me for the install.
The reason I am asking about the write-up, is because I have sold several sets to forum members, and to my knowledge none have been installed.
I attribute this to several factors; one being the general mystery that surrounds the mechanics of it, another being the cost and fact that most people don't have the tools (TDC stop, degree wheel, dial indicator with magnetic base, pointers, etc), also there is a general sense that "numbers" are guarded by tuners.... And they are.... A great deal of time and money goes into coming up with numbers that work, and are often secretive(although as bikes get older like ours its not such a secret). Also, if you jack this up, even a little, say goodbye to your top end.
This is one of those things that I would typically keep to myself, as no one taught me, there was no Internet, I had to teach myself............. But since T WISTEDMISTER thinks I am such a Dick for not revealing everything I know when asked...... and WILLIAMHBONNEY asked me to document it, if you are still reading,
Are you interested? Should I do a write up?

See less See more
#37 ·
From degreeing cams to phone sex, to what mobile phone :lmao

#42 ·
I have the galaxy nexus. Brilliant phone better than the s2 but not as good as the s3. I know things are different in the UK. LTE has only just arrived. I would Gp with the s3

#44 ·
Any recommendations on network Mark?

And I used to work in a mobile phone shop :lol

#43 ·
I should be done tomorrow morning. Will do the write up next week. I will explain what I did, but not go all into everything about cam and valve overlap, and theory, just what is necessary.
I set my degree wheel up, pointers, found TDC using positive stop method, verified cam timing and lobe centers on stock setup 113 and 109,checked valve clearances since I last did it about 3.5 track days ago when I got head back from APE and did a bench clearance with full radius valve job and considerable seat material was cut away. Surprisingly, since I broke that motor in on the track in expert group hard, only one valve needed adjusting (. 08 and clearance range is. 1-.2, so I set to. 13). Reassemble with cams with adapters, timed with marks, and went from 91 to 94 to 101.5 LC in two steps, quite for night.

#45 ·
I'm with o2 apart from reported isuues I have had no problem with them. Even insurance claims dealt with next working day. Anyone looking to get 4g on the UK should wait till next year as the big players will be releasing proper 4g not the lte that EE brought out.

#49 ·
^awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.