Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Seriously, you dont need expensive tires on the street

16K views 310 replies 56 participants last post by  8you4t 
#1 ·
First off, I in no way claim to be a good rider. In fact, this video would almost certainly serve as an example of things not to do than things to do. I suck, no doubt about it.

I want to make a point- you don't need super grippy tires on the street. I was riding on regular old Diablos. They were cold (you see me pulling out of the pits) with no tire warmers on a 70 degree day about after 8 hours after it rained. The tires probably have about 100 laps on them and they are about 80% gone. They aren't even getting tear on them. The bike is, outside tires, a bone stock 2008 CBR 1000RR.

This pace is about 10 seconds off my best and I've NEVER had the tires slip on me or even feel like they were slipping. While I am far from anything resembling fast on the track, this is harder than 99.99% of street-only riders CAN ride and harder than almost anyone should ride on the street.

Also, I'd like to point out that the camera is a bit crooked, so it makes it look like I'm leaning a bit harder to the left than I am and bit less when I lean right. I'm down to about 1/8th" chicken strip in the front IIRC.

Obviously, if you do track days with your street bike, that's a totally different story. If you don't do track days, and especially if you've never dont track days or very few, your hyper sticky tires are worthless.

See less See more
#209 ·
People buy what they FEEL they need. Because most people don't actually know what they need. Those that do make choices based on what they know might happen.

Personally I run the sport tourers, I now have a set of Pilot Pures. I like the idea that it has way more than I need and while If I was on the track I would be able to get way more out of them, I get everything I need and then some for street riding. And I know that if I need to tighten it up mid corner or hit some unexpected bumps mid corner these tyres will give me a little more than the harder compound street tyres.

Its just math really, but not the dollars and cents kind.

#211 ·
Your right. I actually knew all that about the D211GP/Ntec/D211GPAs deal regarding them, but many still just call them Ntecs for both ends. ..albeit incorrectly. I snag'd some of those at the wera forum($135/$200 shipped for frt/rrs). Several other guys also run'm at the gap on their race bikes inbetween races/track days. They rock.

I've been on Q2s the last month and they've been doing at least as well as the 003rs. Better actually. The rear is gone now tho on the sides after aprox 5-600 miles.

#214 ·
I recently ran some power ones(road) at the track on my 600 track bike. I was under the impression that they were an upgrade from the awesome Pilot Race tyre(road) - but I had several large slides, they over heated, they were very, very pressure sensative and they were done in one day. When I had the power race tyre - I couldn't notice 2psi difference, i could only slide it when i fucked up and they lasted 2-3 days at the track...
If i was a sceptic - i'd say that Michelin was not happy with the wear rate of the race tyres, so replaced them with a faster wear rate tyre to make more coin ?!?!?! Soz...I am a sceptic...lol
Si

#217 ·
There are two different Power One tires.

There are Power One Commercial (they do not have a letter designation, just a size) which are hybrid trackday tires NOT race tires, then there are Power One Race tires. The race models ARE an upgrade to the Power Races. They will have a letter designation. Fronts will be A, B, and V. Rear will be A, B, C, compounds. A being harder than B and C respectively. V front being like the old C front on the power races.

#222 ·
:lolI was thinking the same thing.

So since he goes reeeal slow on the street..he doesn't go fast anymore since at least a yr ago. -->Done. Finished. Turn your knee pucks and man card in. No-Mo. Period. Zilch. Nada. Get a scooter because thats all a street rider needs anyways. Etc.Etc.

.."it'd take a hell of a woman to make a man quit racing if he didn't want to otherwise. But then again, a hell of a good woman wouldn't ask him to quit in the first place".. or something like that-wera forum

#223 ·
I dont care what anyone says tires matter. Tell my friend who runs pilot powers on his CBR 1000rr that tires dont matter. He owned a 02 CBR f4i with pilots for two years and never laid it down. He bought his 1000 new and it came stock with bridgestones. just a few weeks later his bike was sitting in his driveway crashed because bridgestones have no grip

#233 ·
I watched a buddy of mine crash his CBR 1000RR three times in one track day on street tires. He'd be doing just fine and then suddenly the bike would go out from under him. Third time, we had to take the footpeg from the left rear to use on the right (upside down). The marshals told him: "last time, crash again and you're done."

This was his street bike... :( I helped him pick up an 07 with next to nothing for miles the other day, though. :)

I will say this: Honda should buy that bike from him. It's indestructable. It should be in a museum. Five hard crashes in one year and three in one day and other than the plastics, the only major damage is one swingarm spool bent.

#234 ·
I'm going to go ahead and say that's rider error.

#235 ·
Why........ cant........... people............. take ............ responsibility for their own CRASHES :gaah.

Granted their sometimes are circumstances that contribute to a crash, but the bottom line is YOU made YOU crash. Your buddy made himself crash.

If you listen to what you read on teh intrawebs every poster is an expert rider, and he never crashes due to a lack of talent.

It is ALWAYS the tires, or sand :lmao. :banghead :rolleyes

Short of a mechanical failure, a fluid you can not see on the track and had no way to know about (a tiny bit of sand does NOT count) or another rider taking you out, it is your fault. Period. Hell even many times another rider helping cause it, or takign you out is partially your fault for not having enough foresight to see the situation developing (I have fallen victim to this 4-5 times myself)

#236 · (Edited)
I love arrogant track riders.... Exactly why I stay away from the track these days.

You can't use that to it's maximum effectiveness, SO YOU DON'T NEED IT!

Let people buy what they want to buy and use what they want to use. If they want to use a higher end tire, what the fuck does it matter to you? It doesn't, you just wanna come on here and wave your dick around about how you can properly use a premium tire, while all the sheep's should stick to the bargain bin.

With that said, OEM tires are fine, and so are many lower end models for the street and DOT or race specific tires on the street = nono, that's obvious. But if someone wants to spend a little extra for high quality why in the hell does that matter to you?

#238 ·
I dont give a shit if you want to run sa set of MotoGP slicks you got your hands on, but they cost you $2000, to ride to starbucks and back. That is your prerogative.

But dont try to bullshit me, or others... especially those who dont know any better, that you are gaining something from them and you NEED them or else your bike is going to toss itself on its side (I say the bike toss itself down, because we all know the rider didnt do it... riders dont crash, bikes and tires crash :lmao)

Run whatever the fuck you want.

But the TRUTH is likely that running Hybrids, or race tires on the street, is a lose-lose-lose proposition in MOST riders instance. The tires cost more, last less miles, and likley get WORSE grip in many situations for the average street bike and rider combo.

This thread is not about want. If you WANT to blow money on tires that perform worse for your application, get less mileage, and cost more initially, go for it.

This thread is about NEED, and to kid yourself that you NEED anything more than a round black tire that fits your bike.... that is likely a better tire than we raced on ten years ago........ you are kidding yourself and look a fool.

Keep in mind I speak in generalization because I dont know most of you. Some of the people reading this might actually ride hard enough to benefit from high end tires on the street. Those people are idiots IMO... but that is an entirely different debate.

I speak in generalization about MOST riders, as most riders dont lean beyond about 20 degrees from vertical, and spend most of the time straight up and down., or damn near it

#237 ·
It doesn't matter. People can use what they want. But to say that they need "y" because "x" made them crash is ridiculous.

"x" didn't make them crash; their inability to control the motorcycle, or inability to understand/comprehend the feedback from the stock tires/suspension etc made them crash.

Sure, people can run NTecs to Blockbuster if they want. i don't give a shit. But to say they "need" them is bullshit.

BTW - just because somebody doesn't want to hear the truth, that doesn't make the person speaking the truth "arrogant". ;)

#244 ·
I was brand loyal for several years Dunlop was my choice...but I came to the conclusion that rubber comes from trees and all carbon properties are the same so what you need to look for now a days is how much http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_black is in the tire center, mid, edge. This will equate to mileage, speed, & lean...PEACE!
You are so fucking tire stupid it's painful.
1. High carbon black = high hysteresis compound. Not good.
2. Only natural rubber is from Malaysian/Indonesian rubber trees - performance tires (car or motorcycle) are mostly SBR and BR. The glass transition temperature of the polymers used will override silica content, carbon black amount and type, and cure system if chosen poorly.
3. The Silica-silane system is more important than the CB, because CB does not allow for the physical properties desired in high performance pavement tires.
4. "All carbon properties are the same" WTF? Try some ASTM grade N120 against some N650 or N774 carbon black. Nothing alike.
5. Carbon black properties are bnot alike between the various rubber grades, but everyone uses the same set of CB suppliers - Cabot, Sid Rich, etc. No one makes their own carbon black for their own rubber.
6. Brand loyal, eh?
Brand loyalty = brain washed!

EDIT: This is only pointing out your stupidity relating to rubber compound, not even counting construction, profile, etc.

#250 · (Edited)
Unless you are doing it knowingly to affect geometry, etc, there is no point. At all. Unless you already understand what it will help and what it will hurt, don't do it.
apparently most of your post do not give good advice other than you trying to display your brains for all to see for some reason most of your post are similar...News flash Goodyear dosn't make high performance motorcycle tires...SQUID!

#268 · (Edited)
None the less a motorcycle @ that! both my legs where amputated from a motorcycle accident that happened 20 years ago by a cage. I had a quarter of my brain removed and I shit bat krazy so dont fuck w/me!!!!!!!!!
So why did you join and you could just not post, problem solved.

Edit: We don't do requests here at GDC but maybe I can arrange to have you locked in the Dungeon? Perhaps even go as far as to revoke your posting privileges so you can only read. Bet that would really fan your fire of disdain of this site

Please ban me from this SQUID FARM!

#261 ·
So this is you, yes?

6. Members who post for the sole reason of being disruptive (as determined by the Moderators) may be subject to an immediate ban.

9. “Post Whoring” will not be allowed and may cause suspension or loss of posting privileges, and or a complete loss of post count. The definition of “Post Whoring” will be at the discretion of the Administrators and Moderators, but can generally be defined as making useless or repetitive posts for the sole purpose of increasing ones post count.

#265 ·
I thought you had been riding before any of us, for 25 years or something...:wait

What a cock you are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.