Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Why ktm??

3K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  TeflonTrout 
#1 · (Edited)
Can anyone explain to me why KTM would go ahead and make this Rc8 1190. Its not fair because now every other bike looks ugly compared to this masterpiece and the 180hp on the 2013 model is just the icing on the cake

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
That's your opinion. Personally I think its ugly as sin . Not saying it's a bad bike just not my taste .

#17 ·
#21 ·
I get that, about your uncle. :sad does it break less? Seems like I'm fixing some shit that failed on my bike every other week :cursing 35k on the clock

#22 ·
break less? my Victory or my RC8? the Victory is very reliable and i have had zero issues. i also have a 3 year warranty on it :biggrin

i dont know enough about the RC8 breaking down frequently but i can tell ya this much..OEM parts are EXPENSIVE! i actually did a few upgrades on my RC8 when i had it. KTM was nice enough to install a tidy tail on the bike so that was one less mod. i put stomp grip pads on the tank and had a reverse shift kit installed. i spent $100 on internal frame sliders. the sliders hide under the fairing. i also bought some new Rizoma rear turn signals to put on the tidy tail.

my favorite thing about the RC8 was the fact that i can adjust EVERYTHING! i can even lower/raise the seat height as needed. the manual was a bible and had every setting on the bike and how to set it with their tool kit. their tool kit allowed you to do 99% of the adjustments easy. another awesome thing i liked was the fact all the turn signals and everything else disconnected quickly for track duty.

#23 · (Edited)
I meant the Victory but that's interesting about the RC8. You don't have to sell me on it, lol. I'm already dying for one. That tidy tail is a big improvement from the stock fender for sure. Seems like European OEM parts generally are more expensive than Japanese

I don't even have the Suzi tool kit, PO lost or took it guess. I should get a list of what's in there and put it under the seat. Found myself needing a 4mm hex and a screwdriver when my R/R freaking exploded yesterday on the way to work...

#24 ·
Arizona Victory did a detailed video on why Victory transmissions are 1000x better than Harley's along with an engine comparison. I have to double check this but i recall reading that Victory engines do not burn oil due to the design. i cant remember if i read that somewhere or where i found that info. the engine/transmission efficiency is far ahead of Harley. i was told that Harley still uses engine/tranny technology from the 30's? its mostly because people like that setup and that is what sells their bikes despite the fact they have regular engine issues.

i cant help but be partial to Victory's styles on their bikes. :biggrin

#25 ·
I WAY prefer Victory to Harley... styling is sexier and I watched a bunch of videos about differences between the engines, the Victory motor is definitely designed much more betterer

#28 ·
I'd love to take an rc8 for a spin but I think if I were going to spend that kind of money, I'd look at the panigale....even though it's a little more $

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S lll

#35 ·
the RC8R isnt the best euro bike out there but im sure they are working on that. after riding my first v-twin sport bike, i dont want to go back to inline 4's.

#37 ·
I'm also not sold on the retro-futuristic theme. It's a beast underneath the styling, but yesterday's aerodynamics aren't in common racing use anymore for a reason.

Practicality = Beauty. if a machine is built to do something, it should be as physically well suited for the task as modern technology can make it. Every part should be as efficient as possible. Parts exposed to the wind should be formed to move through it as cleanly as possible, which means no bulging angular protrusions.

If those are your thing, go look at a Calvin Klein ad. They have no place on a machine built to go fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.