Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Plastex repair kit endorsement.

7K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  Macadoucious 
#1 ·
Okay, we were talking about this in another thread and I thought it probably deserved a new one so here it is. This is the best stuff I have used so far to repair plastic. I use it in conjunction with the Bondo bumper repair kit that I used before. The problem with the Bondo kit is that it got soft when heated - like around the oil cooler and exhaust - so it was good for smallt cracks or abrasions, but not full fledged screw ups. The Plastex is excellent for that kind of work as you can see in the photos below. It is a little more difficult to sand, and it can leave some voids. What I do is repair both sides of the crack with Plastex and then used the Bondo to even out the surface and fill small voids. The results are pretty good. Some of the photos below still have voids that I have not fixed yet, and sorry, but I do not have any before pics. But, you can see how much of the area was repaired. On one upper, both ears were broke off - one came from a red bike so that one is not going to be as fast as it used to be, but it's better than no ear. The other only had one ear broken off - but it was missing parts that I filled in with Plastex - some as large as a dime. Both had the large crack down the handlebar area with several other smaller cracks in the same area that are typical of many crashes. Most reasonable people would have said these were worthless. Use the stuff like the instructions say and it's fool proof and strong.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Some more shots. One of these had been plastic welded and then cracked right in the same spot. If I had wasted my money painting it I would have been pissed. One of the ears was in at least 20 small pieces and I was able to put them all together with this kit. I used the standard kit that sells for $29.95. I still have some left even after fixing the plastic on a friends R6 that he recently busted up. I would say I still have half of it left at this point - or close to it. I use more liquid than powder I think. Buy the small kit for little scratches, and the standard kit for bigger repairs. Buy the shop kit if you have a shop, a lot of busted up plastic, or if you just crash regularly for fun and lack of anything better to do.

Here's the link to the store. If they go public I'm buying stock! http://home.att.net/~g.t.motorsports/store.html

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks Eric, just got a set of mids and lowers for the 1st gen . It has the yosh mid vents already installed. The lowers have some hideous repairs done and damage and the infamous "Bulge" area. I have been wanting to hear of a product like this.

#6 ·
Voids can be filled in using just the powder for small areas like the dime sized one I talked about, or for larger areas (like the lowers) the powder can be reinforced with some screen, mesh, or fiberglass weave. Oh yeah, I got my hands on a set of vents too and I'm going to try to make a mold for them. If I get it right I'll make a few extra.

#15 ·
Right on! Thanks Eric! As you can see,I was finally able to open this thread! That stuff seems to work VERY well. Is it pretty strong? Should I reinforce the stud? It broke cleanly off(the stud,the reinfored plastic that attaches the stud to the body) so I've got the stud and the semi-circular stress-bearing backing that was molded to the body(damn! I wish I knew how to post pics!).

#19 ·
iff you put a piece of masking /duct tape on one side of hole and lay the hole flat you can fill it up,

#24 ·
Yes, but if the material is thick, you may want to fill some of it up with fiberglass. I did that to one of my uppers I was working on this weekend. I took some before pics, but no during shots yet. I suppose I could do it right now... if only I weren't so lazy. Also, it's supposed to be that clear packing type of tape. I used it on the same upper to create a contour and an edge. Works rather well actually.

#20 ·
Definitely cool stuff. I used the mouldable rubber piece to make a mould for a missing tab, made a whole new tab. It even had an indentation for the screw hole so it was cake to drill it out.

#26 ·
I figured I would dust this thread off... I ordered up a standard kit and let me tell you, this stuff is THE BOMB. I have used all sort of different products to fix abs fairings and this blows them all away. Easy to use, grinds easily and at the same rate as the plastic to clean up your repairs and STRONG. I'll post up a few pics tomorrow of a couple of the small repairs I did tonight. Thanks for the write-up Long, without you and the search bar I never would have tried this out. :cheers

#31 ·
After reading this thread and a few others Ive ordered the standard plastex kit. Ive got a few cracks in a fairing. Hopefully it gets here this weekend and I can test it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.