Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Opinions Wanted On Potential Purchase

2K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  DOBERDEWD 
#1 ·
It seems like a bunch of Oilers have been coming up for sale in my area lately and I was thinking that I would pick up this one. Here is a quote directly from the ad-

"Has full fairing(not pictured) updated 1991 front and rear suspension with brakes. Dyna coil, Yoshimura full exhaust. Over sized Cosworth pistons and larger stainless valves, titanium stems. ported intake. stage three tosh cam and adjusters. 40mm flatslide carbs. Rear seat cowl houses an extra oil cooling radiator."

I know there are errors in his description and I'm not completely sold on the fact that any engine work has been done. The engine build apparently took place about 5000km ago but there is no paperwork to back this up. Under the solo cowl houses a second oil cooler. It does have some nice aftermarket goodies but the owner says it has a very noisey cam chain and something is definately wrong with it. Its a bit of a drive for me to go look at and I know I can get it for just under a grand. I would hate to show up and a noisey cam chain turns into a spun bearing.

What do you guys see it the pictures??? I know I'm overlooking some stuff and wanted some of your expert opinions!!! Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Forgot to mention its advertised as a 86 1100. Not sure what you guys think but I was wondering who the hell would spend a bunch of coin on a engine and then use some garbage looking cooler lines? Thats what started me second guessing the bike..

#7 ·
looks like a nice clean base to start with under all those homosexually charged fairings. if you can get a good deal on it id say go for it man. besides you cant loose with those yoshimura oil cooler return and feed lines. just joking with you but in all seriousness a good bike for a resto:)

#9 ·
Other things that make me go HMMM.

If it has dyna coils he must have used the stock wires so I'd have him send me a picture of those as I'd guess they are stock. Nothing wrong with the stock ones in my opinion.

Last observation is the rearsets and footpegs. The brake side peg is not factory and it looks like it is cobbled together and brake lever possibly missing. Didn't see shift side peg in top picture or side picture.

#11 ·
I honestly thought that the solo-seat cowl was a fabrication project, like what they've done on "Pimp my Ride" (my favorite show btw)... so I kinda figured it was a BOSE sound system with LCD screen - y'know, for when you stop at a bike night... showin' off da bling! :thumbup

jb_xx

#12 ·
looks like 38mm CV's to me.Could be Canadian 40's tho. I never had a set so IDK. The foot pegs are those drop pegs for drag racing or just a more relaxed foot height. If you don't like them I would!
I got a set of the correct oil cooler lines so that's no biggy. I would retire the rear cooler unless you just like it. Or your plans include endurance racing.

Everyone bags on bikes with gay ass paint jobs but if you painted it I bet the same nay sayers would change their minds.
Looks like a Great start to a nice bike to me. :dunno

Cam chain noise will have to be heard and checked by a pro. The adjuster could be crap or a manual that is misadjusted causing chain slap? or since it has manual adjustable rockers it could be that. Maybe the adjuster lock nuts are loose or fallen off and are bouncing around? Either way if it is cam related should be an easy fix. Not too spendy either IMO. If it's the bottom end. Run!

#13 ·
brake and clutch master has been upgraded to newer style. Throttle cable is way too long and misrouted.
Rear suspension can not be swapped for a 2nd gen so that is BS. Wheels Yes but not the shock, linkage, or arm.

Just judging by the Miles/Km's on the clock I would say the motor has most likely been into in the past 10k. Probably had some 2nd gear repair too. Or it's time?

#15 ·
Most of what is in his description is bullshit, so either he's an idiot, or he lies every time he opens his mouth. I'm going with the former, as the visible modifications are a textbook case of how not to do things. I wouldn't ride it without first stripping it down completely and fixing all the screw-ups.

That's a ton of miles, too. Lots of stuff will be needed.

JR

#18 ·
I second the "just buy it" motion, easily over 1k in good parts. Go look at it with a roll of hundereds in your front pocket, point out the weakness of the oil lines, paint etc. low ball him and work up should be able to get it for 7 or 8 hundred maybe. Take it home and ship me that tank asap I think those tanks are tits. No worries I will take care of the paint:)

#22 ·
I went and had a look and ended up bringing it home. We couldn't get it started as it was very cold out( -14 celcius) and buddy didn't have heat in his garage. I was a little concerned that the "noise" he was hearing could be a bad bearing in the bottom end or something equally catastrophic so I offered $550 thinking that I couldn't go wrong at that price. After a little bickering he reluctantly excepted and now I was expecting the worse.......junk engine. I brought it home and just got it fired up and to my suprise it runs pretty good. The noise that the PO was scared about seems to be the alternator as its fairly loud. The top end is a little noisey but aren't all these oilers? This bike supposedly has aftermarket cams and I assume these would add to the noise? I've never had a bike with a built up head and don't know what to expect it to sound like? Over all I'm pretty stoked to have a running 1100 sitting in the garage! I still want to pull the engine to see if it has the big bore kit he says it does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.