Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

How long until your voltage regulator rectifier takes a shit? 06-07 gsxr 600

41K views 77 replies 48 participants last post by  Samantha750 
#1 ·
How many miles do you have on your bike with the stock voltage regulator rectifier? I had about 5k when mine took a shit. I am suprised the damn thing didn't catch on fire. All the wires were melted and the back of the regulator was roasted. I had to spend $130.00 on a new one + a new battery. Seriously.. fuck suzuki for not recalling that shit! I hear this is a very common problem.

Does anyone know of a solution to fix the problem?

#2 ·
As a motorcycle shop owner and tech with decades of experience, I was shocked to see it mounted in the hot air stream exiting the radiator. The reason it has fins on it are to keep it cool. The way it works is to change excessive voltage into heat. Heat is it's enemy. I thought about moving it or making a deflector for it. I'm no engineer, and don't know how much heat and for how long will take it out, but I don't think it makes sence to mount it behind the radiator.

#4 ·
JESUS, what do you guys do to your bikes?
My SRAD 750 (96) has 50,000km, orig reg/reg...
athough I have had the usu melted plug issues, hot start issues etc.
Cheers, Ad

#6 ·
reg/rec's on SRAD's are under your left thigh, away from heat sources, but still prone to frying...
I also hear that CBR's are prone to frying them too.
Is is related to heat?
someone hear mentioned in a SRAD forum to get a later model mofset r/r. What is this and what is the diff?
Cheers, Ad

#10 ·
Gixxers aren't the only bikes commonly with this problem. For one, the Zx's it's common, with even very low miles. It's not the bike. It's the heat. A big factor is where you live or how hot it is the day you ride. Sitting in traffic on a hot day, I am sure is a factor as well. They go out on cruisers also. I think an additional factor is the rider. Maybe some people with this common problem are for example wrenching on their throttle (building up engine heat around the rectifier) in city traffic, coming to a lot of stops and the rectifier doesn't have the air or time to cool properly.

#11 ·
42,000km (26,000+ miles) and no reg/rec problems. Used in all weather, rarely used for commuting, mostly ridden in the twisties covering decent distances at a time.

A large number of forum threads may only represent a very small percentage of bikes with a problem, unfortunately this model seems to have quite a few of these issues. (H/J, waterpump seal, reg/rec, etc)

#12 ·
How the hell can you fry a gsxr 600 stator at 7K? I didn't think that the regulator rectifier would/could cause your stator to go bad. Should I just replace both of them to save myself from droppin another $200.00 on another stator? The guys at the shop I go to are retards and I wouldn't know the first thing about testing a stator.

#14 ·
Mine went at roughly 20k
This was a few K after my stator blew, which may as well have sped up the R/R's demise
(and the battery)

My bike isn't handled with velvet gloves
Commuting, short rides, rain, heat, cold, salt, etc.

These things are mass-produced by the lowest bidder, some will last a lifetime, others will fry at the mere sight of a charge

#27 ·
my bike is track only and rode very hard on the track. even with my R/R relocated to the side fairing opening, when coming off the track, the R/R is hot (fins). i have 4 mor t/d's to go this yr. hope she hold out. bike has 2000 street miles, and about 1500 track miles (or a little more). after my t/d's, ill be scoring the mosfet r/r and needed wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.