Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Shipping a motor [need advice]

856 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MotoMummy 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 600 motor that someone wants to buy from me and he is in Kentucky, while I am in Florida.

What is the best way to ship the motor? Will UPS or Fedex take it? I am going to go in to town and check with UPS but I was hoping someone has prior experience with this sort of shipping.

Also, what would you estimate the weight of the motor as? 150lbs?

#2 ·
Make a wooden box for it, and figure out the weight, UPS will need the dimension's and the weight to calculate a price!

#4 ·
Ive sold quite a few engines. I recommend using UPS Freight,they will come right to your house and pick it up. Make sure you make a STURDY wooden crate. I use 2x3's and 1/2" plywood. Material will cost you about $35-40. Once you have the engine inside the crate,cut a 2x3(or whatever you constructed the crate with)and put it behind the cylinder block(intake side)to brace the engine so it wont shift around inside the crate or the owner wont be happy when he opens it up.

You can buy pre-cut 2ft x 2ft plywood pieces and a 2ft square box is the perfect size for the engine. You will need six of those pieces and two 2x3x8(or 2x4)pieces of lumber and plenty of wood screws.

#6 ·
Like noted fed ex or ups will do it. To be more accurate, you can ship anything, anywhere. If it were me, I'd get quotes from said companies. Then I'd make an account with U-ship it. It works just like eBay. You state what, where and when you want something shipped. Allowing private bigger companies to compete for the lowest price. You're not committed until an agreement has been reached. Allowing yourself the opportunity to beat those qoutes. There's a lot of " shows in town " if you look further into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.